Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66
Recognizing and replacing split rims - advice wanted

I moved this post from another topic ("Offering Advice on Spare Tires - from experience!") because it is specific to split-rim (widowmaker) wheels:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily
Split rims have been out of service for some time now. No shop I know of will touch them anymore. If you have them on your bus, replace them, but I am pretty sure nothing that was in service in the last 30 years or more has them.

As the_experience03 mentioned, there are wheels that use a split locking RING....
Lily
I'm dreaming of a classic Dodge (late 1960's/early 70's); I've seen them from time to time on Craigslist but I don't yet have the money for the purchase, storage, and renovation. So this is a good time to plan ahead, I figure.

How can I spot a split rim without attempting suicide? Also, if I end up with a bus that has 'em, are replacements easy to find? Dodge uses 20" wheels with either six or ten studs, or the five-spoke type. I've seen Alcoa aluminum rims that look like they'd fit the ten-stud mount, though I'd have to verify that. They'd spiff up my rig, too.

If I go with the Craigslist route and buy a skoolie far away from home, I consider it likely that it'd need work before I could driving it back (or an expensive transport service). I wouldn't "F" around with old tires or iffy wheels.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Recognizing and replacing split rims - advice wanted

some tire guys will work on them if they have the proper training and equipment. aka old timers or lifers

but they are dangerous. I saw some of the cages and stuff they put tires into for removing split rims and for pressure testing tires. scary stuff!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I think this split rim thing is getting blown out of proportion. I have 2 vehicles with split rims and just had a flat fixed on one a couple of months ago, no problem in finding a shop to open it up. It's like a gun, handle it like it's loaded and you probably won't have a problem, handle a split rim like it will kill you and you won't have a problem. I also have changed plenty of my own too and am just darned careful how I blow them back up. Face down works but you can't see if the parts are mating properly. There are millions of splits still out there so they aren't going to get extinct just yet. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyrick
It's like a gun, handle it like it's loaded and you probably won't have a problem, handle a split rim like it will kill you and you won't have a problem...
My concern remains with two elements: one is that some tech who is having an off day or should never have been hired gets it wrong and things go boom. (One-piece tire/rims are tricky enough). The other is having a flat and having AAA or tire shop folks saying, "Sorry, buddy, we don't do splits." Of course, having an older Dodge, as opposed to a newer IH, could present analogous problems.

No matter what side of the controversy you sit on, which are more devilish to work with? The kind that look like the ones on a motor home (disk with six or ten bolts) or the ones with five spokes on the axle hub onto which the rim/tire ass'y fastens?

Don't split-rim tires use inner tubes? That suggests to me that the inflation valve would come out a hole, like a bicycle wheel, instead of being mounted to the rim.

Thanx for your input.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

I've got a '93 Genesis that came stock with them...

How can one say that they haven't been used in 30+ years???

I would like info on how to swap out everything so i can use AAA...

This could be some really good tech, in my opinion...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote