Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Recommendations on choosing a school bus

Hey everyone,
Well I counted my chickens before they're hatched and the deal for my first School bus is falling through. So, I am back to square one. My wife and I had decided on a 2000 International AmTran powered by a DT466E Diesel with an Allison Automatic that was 84 Passenger (14 Row). We decided on that rig because it had a High Top (I am 6’4”) and Belly Storage so we mount the water, electrical, and other things.
Since we are looking again, we are questioning if we need such a long bus. Its main function is to house us in South Carolina while we make major renovations to my mother’s house. After that it will be the motorhome I always wanted . Since my health (Walking ability) has so what deteriorated. The back and forth to a hotel and other places are limited.
So, my question to the skoolie forum is what do you recommend (and it must be a flat nose)? And the advantages and disadvantages between a FE and RE?

Rev. Williams

IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Howdy!

If it does not already exist, we need to make an "RE vs FE vs Conventional" sticky.

I'll throw my $0.02 in...

Conventional: Easiest to access engine for service. Least usable living space for a given length. Not as maneuverable at a given length as an RE or FE. Limited room under the bus for tanks & storage. Middle of the pack for engine noise & heat.

RE: Engine access better than an FE and worse than a conventional. For a given length has more living space than a coventional, less than a FE. More maneuverable than conventional. More room under the bus for storage and tanks than FE or conventional. Quietest and coolest as far as engine noise/heat.

FE: Worst engine access. More maneuverable than a conventional. Most living space of the three. More maneuverable than conventional. Limited room under the bus for tanks & storage. Loudest & hottest as far as engine noise/heat.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Also, considering possible eventualities, you might have your eye out for one with a wheelchair lift: I've seen them most often at the back corner of a conventional or FE.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: A3RE
Engine: 3126 Cat
Rated Cap: 33220 GVwR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Also, considering possible eventualities, you might have your eye out for one with a wheelchair lift: I've seen them most often at the back corner of a conventional or FE.
Dapplecreek

I know where you’re going with that however I have improved a great deal in the past few months and my faith will assist me the rest of the way. However, thank you for that suggestion.

Rev. Williams
IWC Bus is offline   Reply With Quote