Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #1

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Registration Question

It's a convoluted story so bear with me.

I purchased my bus (aka Lily) in Colorado in 2017. I worked on it with the guy I bought the bus from for about a year. He did the demo, we did other stuff together on weekends...raised the roof, etc. Then life got in the way in big, awful ways. She sat for awhile while I got my legs under me again. When I resurfaced again, the guy I was working with felt he was in over his head and didn't want to continue helping me with the conversion. I'm a 50 something year old professional woman. I have no construction skills but can follow directions so working on it with him was good. Doing it on my own was a definite no go.

I decided to proceed with a professional conversion. I did manage to get Lily titled as a motor home before she left Colorado. I had her "professionally" moved to Tennessee. (What a mess that was)! She's been in Tennessee with Wind River Tiny Homes since May of last year. The real work started around September. They'll be finishing up in the next couple of months.

In that interim period, when life fell apart. and bus progress stopped, I had moved to Paradise, California, bought a house, and was part of that big fire that was up there in November of 2018. Everything gone. I've been sort of transient since, taking temporary assignments all over the country. I'm currently in northern New York.

So here's my issue: I'm going to be returning to the Paradise area (taking my old job back) at the end of August. I'll be staying in an RV park there so, again, no physical address. (I've been using my parent's address in Southern Oregon since the fire).

So I'm in New York. Lily is in Tennessee. I'm moving to California (not sure if I should make myself a California resident or an Oregon resident as I'll be spending a great deal of time in Oregon with my aging parents). How do I get the bus registered and get insurance when neither Lily nor I are in the state of our destination?

I've been following this community for a long time so I know how smart you all are! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!!

CandaceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaceG View Post
It's a convoluted story so bear with me.

I purchased my bus (aka Lily) in Colorado in 2017. I worked on it with the guy I bought the bus from for about a year. He did the demo, we did other stuff together on weekends...raised the roof, etc. Then life got in the way in big, awful ways. She sat for awhile while I got my legs under me again. When I resurfaced again, the guy I was working with felt he was in over his head and didn't want to continue helping me with the conversion. I'm a 50 something year old professional woman. I have no construction skills but can follow directions so working on it with him was good. Doing it on my own was a definite no go.

I decided to proceed with a professional conversion. I did manage to get Lily titled as a motor home before she left Colorado. I had her "professionally" moved to Tennessee. (What a mess that was)! She's been in Tennessee with Wind River Tiny Homes since May of last year. The real work started around September. They'll be finishing up in the next couple of months.

In that interim period, when life fell apart. and bus progress stopped, I had moved to Paradise, California, bought a house, and was part of that big fire that was up there in November of 2018. Everything gone. I've been sort of transient since, taking temporary assignments all over the country. I'm currently in northern New York.

So here's my issue: I'm going to be returning to the Paradise area (taking my old job back) at the end of August. I'll be staying in an RV park there so, again, no physical address. (I've been using my parent's address in Southern Oregon since the fire).

So I'm in New York. Lily is in Tennessee. I'm moving to California (not sure if I should make myself a California resident or an Oregon resident as I'll be spending a great deal of time in Oregon with my aging parents). How do I get the bus registered and get insurance when neither Lily nor I are in the state of our destination?

I've been following this community for a long time so I know how smart you all are! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!!
Well, the 'Establishment' isn't too keen on not being able to find you if 'they' feel the need to. You definitely need to have what you will call a permanent address. I would go with the Vermont registration method for that part, and look to your favorite insurance agent for help in getting that side going. I can't be any more help than that because I'm not registered or insured yet, probably won't be for another year or so.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
I am another who is as yet unregistered and uninsured, since I let my Progressive policy expire. But I am working toward registration. In my case I need to involve Oregon DMV in the initial registration process, because they'll be the easiest way to convert my WA Bus Title into an OR Motorhome Title.

But after that, the 2 links below relate to where I currently think I am going with registration, etc, and I think others might find these interesting too.

https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-south-dakota-residents/
gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote