Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Removable Seat for Elderly Mom

I found some old threads on similar topics but decided to start a new one because those revived 5 year old threads can get a little confusing, and because my question is slightly different.

I care for my mother, who is 81. Before I knew I would be doing this, I gave all my bus seats to the junkyard, and now the way things are set up there's no place to put one, anyway. Because I use the bus as a combination "pop-up shop" and cargo van, I need a passenger seat that can be removed.

I bought a "q-straint" kit, which is a wheelchair tie down, figuring this would be an eays way to accomplish this. She does have a wheelchair for when we go to places that require a lot of walking, but Mom is not wheelchair bound; she can make it up the bus steps. I just thought her collapsible wheelchair might make this process easier. The kit was not cheap - $700 is a lot for me - but I figured it would make things easy.

Well, that hasn't turned out to be the case. I'm not comfortable installing the set-up myself because it involved drilling through the floor. I jus don't trust myself with that, and if you saw how many extra holes I've made on the interior you wouldn't either. But no one will install the set-up for me because of "liability." I thought about just trying to get someone to install the tiedowns without mentioning the wheelchair thing but it's kind of obvious. It's also a big, clunk system that kind of seems like it's a bit overboard considering I don't really NEED to put a chair with wheels on it in.

I'm thinking about selling the kit on eBay and trying to do something a bit simpler, but I can't really think of how to do this. A jump seat, which I've seen people use, is not substantial enough for her to feel comfortable, and a captain's chair is not going to be easily removed. Does anyone have any other ideas?

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
How about getting a foldable third row seat from some SUV in a junk yard? It wouldn't necessarily be removable, but the back would fold down when not in use so it could be a table or something. Finding one with an integrated seat belt would be even better.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
How about getting a foldable third row seat from some SUV in a junk yard? It wouldn't necessarily be removable, but the back would fold down when not in use so it could be a table or something. Finding one with an integrated seat belt would be even better.
A third row seat is still for more than one person, isn't it? Anything larger than a single seat isn't going to fit, unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
A third row seat is still for more than one person, isn't it? Anything larger than a single seat isn't going to fit, unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion!
Pulled this one up on car-parts.com - 1999-2006 GMC Yukon just as a stab in the dark. Looks like the seat is in two halves and it has integrated seat belts:

https://imageappoh.car-part.com/imag...%23%20B18L2431
Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
What's the chance of finding and using a fold up seat from a shuttle/transit type bus, one which folds out of the way for wheelchair passengers as needed?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I got a set of seats from a Ford Transit van. They come in different widths, mine are 32 wide and also got a single seat. They are removable and attach to rails that are bolted through the floor. They also come with integrated seat belts.
Check on eBay it Craigslist. I'm probably not going to use all of mine but freight would be a killer.
Good luck
tailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Pulled this one up on car-parts.com - 1999-2006 GMC Yukon just as a stab in the dark. Looks like the seat is in two halves and it has integrated seat belts:
It looks like that would work if I could find a base for them.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailor View Post
I'm probably not going to use all of mine but freight would be a killer.
Good luck
Where are you?

I've been all over Craigslist, but I'll get more specific based on knowing what others have found.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Where are you?

I've been all over Craigslist, but I'll get more specific based on knowing what others have found.
I'm in Phoenix. Check eBay, try entering "Ford Transit quick release seats" there is a seller that has a single for $75, but freight is $225. Don't know if you can wait that long but I'll be at skooliepalooza next year
Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailor View Post
I'm in Phoenix. Check eBay, try entering "Ford Transit quick release seats" there is a seller that has a single for $75, but freight is $225. Don't know if you can wait that long but I'll be at skooliepalooza next year
Thanks, that looks like it would work! I am going to ask my cross-country truck driver friend if he could maybe pick up for me, either one of yours if you've still got one you could sell me, or this one off eBay. I don't know what his schedule is but he's all over the place.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Sure let me know anytime
Old 03-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I forgot to mention mine is unused, never installed
Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Thanks, that looks like it would work! I am going to ask my cross-country truck driver friend if he could maybe pick up for me, either one of yours if you've still got one you could sell me, or this one off eBay. I don't know what his schedule is but he's all over the place.
Here's a seat I found the other day on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CREAM-Leath...e/333122834201

Hard to say if this would be more or less comfortable than the Ford transit van seats, but it looks a bit softer and larger. Neither type reclines, which could be rough on a long trip.

This one is out of the realm of possibility, but fun to think about: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-leath...s/333105595350

Edit: never mind, sorry, didn't see the requirement about removability.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote