Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yea but at least tin foil keeps the aliens from getting inside yer head!
note to self... go to costco and buy tin foil in bulk roll....

Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
sub'd for build ideas.

good stuff. I think if I am doing all this insulating I might as well delete windows I don't need. perhaps get all new RV windows at some point in the build to replace them all as I intend to use this when elk hunting in November!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
sub'd for build ideas.

good stuff. I think if I am doing all this insulating I might as well delete windows I don't need. perhaps get all new RV windows at some point in the build to replace them all as I intend to use this when elk hunting in November!
You can certainly delete windows in stages.

I'm starting by deleting 5 on each side, but removing and skinning over others later on wouldn't be a problem.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
So, how much does each complete window weigh?
As in compared to skinning and insulating. Is it a wash?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
at $220 a sheet, thats a little spendy. I'd go for 18-20g cold rolled sheet metal. $20-$30 for a 4'x8' panel and then just paint. it'd be significantly less, and no reason to add galvanized on the outside unless you do not plan on painting it at all. use a rivet gun and just pop them over the windows in place from the outside, dont forget a seam sealer around the edges where the rivets go. then your spray foam after the steel on the inside, then close it up with plywood.
Where can you get colled rolled for $20-30 for a 4x8 sheet even at 26 gauge here in the steel city(Pittsburgh) 18 ga cooled roll 4x8 is $148. and I buy it in bulk to get that price.
losthighwaydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
Duraplate

I don't know how relevant this might be. I am using Duraplate which is used as trailer wall material. It is a multilayer material that is used as the walls on trailers. It is pretty light and very strong and insulated to a point. I will be spraying foam into the cavity left by the removal of the windows.

You can but this stuff from Wabash trailer repair facilities and at times get scraps for free since they need complete sheets to build or repair trailers.

Im getting 11 pieces 30 x 26 for my deleted windows from their scrap bin for free.

I am going to use windshield urethane sealant and rivets to secure them into the spaces.

Ill post pictures once I get them in.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by losthighwaydrifter View Post
Where can you get colled rolled for $20-30 for a 4x8 sheet even at 26 gauge here in the steel city(Pittsburgh) 18 ga cooled roll 4x8 is $148. and I buy it in bulk to get that price.
That's a shame. I get 4x10's for $60.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
That's a shame. I get 4x10's for $60.

You must know a guy. Do you know a guy? Man, I paid 40 bucks for 2 28" square pieces of 18ga cold rolled. I only had hatches to do, so not too bad I don't guess. Would cost me a fortune to do a roof raise!
Old 08-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
You must know a guy. Do you know a guy? Man, I paid 40 bucks for 2 28" square pieces of 18ga cold rolled. I only had hatches to do, so not too bad I don't guess. Would cost me a fortune to do a roof raise!
If they cut it for you maybe they charged you for cutting it.
I do know a guy.
But anyone could buy it for not too much more from the same place.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
I don't know how relevant this might be. I am using Duraplate which is used as trailer wall material. It is a multilayer material that is used as the walls on trailers. It is pretty light and very strong and insulated to a point. I will be spraying foam into the cavity left by the removal of the windows.

You can but this stuff from Wabash trailer repair facilities and at times get scraps for free since they need complete sheets to build or repair trailers.

Im getting 11 pieces 30 x 26 for my deleted windows from their scrap bin for free.

I am going to use windshield urethane sealant and rivets to secure them into the spaces.

OMG I would LOVE to get pieces of that size out of a scrap bin. I paid $450 for 7 windows worth of 25.25x 29 plus a 13" wide one of cold rolled sheet cut to size. Ridiculous.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
If they cut it for you maybe they charged you for cutting it.
Yeah, could be. I have no idea if prices are regional or kinda standard.....we've got a lot of steel suppliers in the area, though, so I figgered it'd be cheaper up here but I guess not!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Yeah, could be. I have no idea if prices are regional or kinda standard.....we've got a lot of steel suppliers in the area, though, so I figgered it'd be cheaper up here but I guess not!
Nothing is cheaper "up there".
I only get a small % off and I only pay $60 for 4x10's. I do cut my own, but I can have it cut to whatever I want for cheap or free depending on how busy they are.
I keep trying to hook people up with cheap steel but no one locally seems interested.
ANyone in FL or nearby that needs steel give me a shout.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

I just bought 18 guage galvanized sheets for $112 a 4x8 sheet....$3.50 a sq ft. cut scraps were much cheaper.....got them from a company that sellls plumbing and heating supplies...used for duct work.....
Harold 1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post

After reading this I went to Sparks to my local trailer place and I can also get free, used duraplate in excellent condition. It seems just as sturdy as the 18 gauge cold rolled steel I got but lighter although obviously thicker. The windows are aluminum and they don't cause whatever mixed metal issues people worry about, so I don't see why the duraplate aluminum skins would.

Did you come up with this idea yourself or has someone else done this successfully? Would you use this for roof hatches or only window replacement? Did you investigate the sturdiness of this product vs 18 gauge steel? Are you going to do anything to go around the cut edges to help prevent delamination before installing?

I am very tempted to use this myself for the remaining windows and roof hatches, but if I should really just buy steel for the roof hatches, or use the trailer DOOR duraplate rather than the trailer wall kind, I will. Does anyone know?

I love free and I love keeping serviceable stuff out of the landfill, but I don't want to set myself up for leaks or replacements in a couple of years.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #55
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
A quick note on the galvanized-or-not question: Some common coatings won't bond well to a hot-dip galvanized surface. Almost everything with a Rustoleum label is in this category. Their only product that comes to mind as specifically labeled for, rather than being labeled not for, galvanized material is Latex Aluminum Primer.) Some automotive primers are suitable; others aren't.

Other kinds of galvanization hold paint more willingly: instead of hot-dip, galvanneal or electro-galvanized. These may cost a bit more than hot-dip and are likely to be more difficult to source.

That said.. I've used mostly galvanneal on mine, with some hot-dip before I learned galvanneal is available to me, and what little I've painted hasn't been exposed to any kind of weather yet -- I'm still praying the paint will stick.

Check out "PRO CRYL" primer from Sherwin Williams. Expensive ($60/gallon) but good stuff designed for application on galvanized metal. Being acrylic, it will not saponify (make a soap layer between the paint and zinc) like alkyds (oil based products) will and slip off later. I've been using it on my build and am very impressed with it.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #56
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 11 window
Window skinning

We deleted all our windows and reused our interior roof skin to do it, it's of riveting and seam sealer.
Attached Thumbnails
15467906908656697353965553271679.jpg   15467907701707808420170992142547.jpg  
Stele james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I deleted all my side windows. I used 20 ga gavanealed sheet metal. I originally was covering 4 windows with a sheet. Well, after the first sheet went up I had no more assistance. So I covered two at a time.

SS Pan head metal screws and a healthy amount of Dynatron 550. No leaks.

However, I really like how Tango did his and if I were to do it again, I would skin from inside like he did. I would probably use 18 ga for that but would still use galvanealed sheets.

I'm in Central Florida, right by the ocean. This steel has held up nicely against the salt air, even unpainted.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190111_101921.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	28734
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I deleted all my side windows. I used 20 ga gavanealed sheet metal. I originally was covering 4 windows with a sheet. Well, after the first sheet went up I had no more assistance. So I covered two at a time.

SS Pan head metal screws and a healthy amount of Dynatron 550. No leaks.

However, I really like how Tango did his and if I were to do it again, I would skin from inside like he did. I would probably use 18 ga for that but would still use galvanealed sheets.

I'm in Central Florida, right by the ocean. This steel has held up nicely against the salt air, even unpainted.Attachment 28734
Looks good and I like your methods. I've got a pile of 18ga I bought for bus projects. Deleting hatches and that kinda stuff. Its PERFECT for skinning. 20 will work too! 16 gets too hard to work with and is overkill IMO, although I've used it too.
The Dynatron 550 is good stuff. I use it too.
Bus is looking NICE!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Looks good and I like your methods. I've got a pile of 18ga I bought for bus projects. Deleting hatches and that kinda stuff. Its PERFECT for skinning. 20 will work too! 16 gets too hard to work with and is overkill IMO, although I've used it too.

The Dynatron 550 is good stuff. I use it too.

Bus is looking NICE!
Thank you ECCB.

After doing this, I feel 18 ga is probably the perfect thickness for deletes, especially like this. I went with 20 ga because the lady that runs the metal shop I got it from recommended that gauge. Haven't noticed any oil canning but I also have 2" of spray foam inside.

I used the 550 on your recommendation and it is a great product. I've also used the Sika Construction Adhesive. It's about the same color and consistency of the 550, but about half the price.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #60
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
Thank you ECCB.

After doing this, I feel 18 ga is probably the perfect thickness for deletes, especially like this. I went with 20 ga because the lady that runs the metal shop I got it from recommended that gauge. Haven't noticed any oil canning but I also have 2" of spray foam inside.

I used the 550 on your recommendation and it is a great product. I've also used the Sika Construction Adhesive. It's about the same color and consistency of the 550, but about half the price.
I may lose my steel hookup next month so I'm considering ordering maybe 6 more 4x10's. I only pay 50-65 per sheet.