Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Tuck it under the sheet metal at the top and over the sheet metal at the bottom but under the rub rail. This will layer it like shingles on a roof. This is my plan.

Is it a good idea to keep everything water tight?!? Um, unless you plan on weather proofing the dash, all the wires and connectors, and then whatever else you are putting in the bus for an interior, why would you NOT weather proof it??? A 40 foot convertible with no top? Yes, I am being a smart a$$ but no I don't understand the question either. Of course you want the sheet metal waterproof; what am I missing? Leaks would be bad.
Convertible idk. Maybe just a cloth sun roof like the old bugs would be cool

Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
Convertible idk. Maybe just a cloth sun roof like the old bugs would be cool
Lol, until the first time it rains. Like the old bugs you'll need windshield wipers on both sides of the glass.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: ICCO RE300
Engine: Base - L6 - 7.6L 7638cc 466ci DIESEL MFI
Sorry, poorly worded question. I meant something more like "is this a good plan in order to achieve keeping the bus water tight." Thanks.
AMDenels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:26 PM   #24
Bus Geek

: shrug: I'm putting mine back together the way it came apart. Probably add some sealant, metal bonding, whatever that isn't there now.

I didn't see you mention putting rivets back so wasn't sure if you're looking at gluing/sealing/bonding/welding/etc. or just omitted mentioning riveting.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Tuck it under the sheet metal at the top and over the sheet metal at the bottom but under the rub rail. This will layer it like shingles on a roof. This is my plan.

Is it a good idea to keep everything water tight?!? Um, unless you plan on weather proofing the dash, all the wires and connectors, and then whatever else you are putting in the bus for an interior, why would you NOT weather proof it??? A 40 foot convertible with no top? Yes, I am being a smart a$$ but no I don't understand the question either. Of course you want the sheet metal waterproof; what am I missing? Leaks would be bad.
He wasn't asking if it was a good idea to keep everything watertight. He was asking if his idea was good way?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDenels View Post
Yes, I plan on putting sheet metal over it. I'm thinking of removing the rivets and tucking the sheet metal in underneath the lip over the windows and underneath the black panel or right up against it below the windows on the side of the bus. Is this a good idea to keep everything water tight?
Yes, that is a good way to keep it water tight. Add some automotive see sealer to the panels when you install them.

Unless your welding the sheets in.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was sort of surprised to find my lower wall metal does not wrap around the lower window ledge, it is instead flush with the top of the flange and then just spot welded every 2" or so. looks like I'll be shearing that off below the window.
Mine was neither wrapped nor welded. Rivets. Little blind rivets. Easiest part of the bus so far.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:44 PM   #28

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9 L Cummins Turbo
Rated Cap: 28
Metal lip

Personally I like the lip. Build my fender boxes and bolted to lip, then attached floor structure to it (no screws in floor). Also used it to secure bed. I think it is handy and ran conduit along it for my Ac. For metal below window, a 2x4 fits in there nicely and I could still add 1.5 inches insulation and cedar wainscotting and avoid thermal bridging. So just ponder it a bit before removing is my advice.
druidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Just passing thru and not reading everything, but....

The chair rail is not added on. Look closely, and you will see that it is part of that panel. So we are dealing with structural integrity, yes.

I have cut away short sections of it in Millicent, and expect no trouble from that, but I would not remove much of it.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was sort of surprised to find my lower wall metal does not wrap around the lower window ledge, it is instead flush with the top of the flange and then just spot welded every 2" or so. looks like I'll be shearing that off below the window.
Mine is also spot welded. I cut it off 1/2" below the window aluminum with the windows IN. I wouldn't try to take it off more than that.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2013
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner C2
Engine: Cummins 6.7
Alright Skoolie fam, I just got here after that last couple hours of REMOVING THE STEEL RAIL!
What the heck. Should I get something fabricated to run the whole length of the damn bus?
... This has been a frustrating day...
TheMacyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:54 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacyFamily View Post
Alright Skoolie fam, I just got here after that last couple hours of REMOVING THE STEEL RAIL!
What the heck. Should I get something fabricated to run the whole length of the damn bus?
... This has been a frustrating day...
Do you mean the chair rail running the length about 12 " off the floor? It's a structural part of the body, do not remove it. A bit of research would have easily revealed that critical step. How did you remove it?
Old 08-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Yea, I used a grinder to knock of the rivets holding it in, now I guess I'll look at getting a piece fabricated to replace it or figure out how to re-attach it.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Going through other demo pictures, it looks like most of them are behind the walls, mine was mounted on top of the sheet metal walls, so it just looked like a piece that was in the way to getting the walls off.

Fun times ahead!
Old 08-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

This is what my tail looks like
Attached Thumbnails
EDC31564-A40B-444D-B318-E89C5424F73A.jpeg   83E083E4-E974-4E94-B395-B3951E0E73FA.jpeg  
Old 08-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacyFamily View Post
Going through other demo pictures, it looks like most of them are behind the walls, mine was mounted on top of the sheet metal walls, so it just looked like a piece that was in the way to getting the walls off.

Fun times ahead!
It would be helpful to fill out your profile (the box on the left under your name) and say what type of bus you have -- as you're finding out, they're not all built quite the same...

From your pics it does indeed look like your chair-rail is an add-on piece over the wall panels.

I'd say it still adds structure to the bus tying all the ribs together but that doesn't mean you 1) need that level of structure 2) that you can't put it back after the sheet metal wall panels are removed. And you can selectively put it back wherever you like on the wall and it will still tie the ribs together...

Depending on how you plan to insulate and repanel the walls will dictate if you need it or not...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
It would be helpful to fill out your profile (the box on the left under your name) and say what type of bus you have -- as you're finding out, they're not all built quite the same...

From your pics it does indeed look like your chair-rail is an add-on piece over the wall panels.

I'd say it still adds structure to the bus tying all the ribs together but that doesn't mean you 1) need that level of structure 2) that you can't put it back after the sheet metal wall panels are removed. And you can selectively put it back wherever you like on the wall and it will still tie the ribs together...

Depending on how you plan to insulate and repanel the walls will dictate if you need it or not...
Thank you! Yea, still navigating how to use this site, but it seems like its the most helpful resource out there!

I don't think all is lost, and I like your idea of keeping sections. I'll see what it looks like after those panels come off. Taking this thing apart I realize just how strong these things are built. Now I'm wondering the best way to re-attach it at sections.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:01 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Nothing is lost, MacyFamily.
What we are always on alert for is this type of chair rail:

Here, the rail was created by folding a single sheet of steel double and at right angle, as indicated with my crayon. This you would not want to cut away (except for a few inches here and there), since that would completely separate the two (disparate in appearance) panels.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Nothing is lost, MacyFamily.
What we are always on alert for is this type of chair rail:

Here, the rail was created by folding a single sheet of steel double and at right angle, as indicated with my crayon. This you would not want to cut away (except for a few inches here and there), since that would completely separate the two (disparate in appearance) panels.
So I haven’t taken it off the other side, I was going to leave it and cut the sheet metal around it, and reattach some of it on the side I took it off.

What’s your take on it? Structural or not?
It’s pretty damn thick.