Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 AM   #1

Removing the side pop out Stop sign and front pop out fence thingy

If I remove and unplug the side pop out stop sign and the front hinged fence thingy - will a secret cut off stop the bus running without them?
I am a total newbie . So far one seat removed ( angle grinder on four bolts + wrench on two bolts .
Another 25 seats to go !
Who buys bus seats? Do they have any value ?
Thanks for suggestions .

Roblat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:56 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblat1 View Post
If I remove and unplug the side pop out stop sign and the front hinged fence thingy - will a secret cut off stop the bus running without them?
I am a total newbie . So far one seat removed ( angle grinder on four bolts + wrench on two bolts .
Another 25 seats to go !
Thanks for suggestions .
I've not heard of a stop sign or crossing arm causing a no start, but it would be nice and easy to test if you require the peace of mind. Simply unplug them, then attempt to start the bus and move it back and forth. If it moves, then you're good.

If you take the time to strip the foam and upholstery, a scrap yard will usually accept them. Many landfills will accept the seats as is, but they're certainly not buying them off of you. A busload of seats weighs around 1,000 pounds, give or take.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I've not heard of a stop sign or crossing arm causing a no start, but it would be nice and easy to test if you require the peace of mind. Simply unplug them, then attempt to start the bus and move it back and forth. If it moves, then you're good.

If you take the time to strip the foam and upholstery, a scrap yard will usually accept them. Many landfills will accept the seats as is, but they're certainly not buying them off of you. A busload of seats weighs around 1,000 pounds, give or take.
Thank you . Makes sense . R.
Roblat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblat1 View Post
I just took mine to Good Will. They even helped me unload them. I was in Tucson, where I got my bus. Folks from south of the border will love them for their 40-year old transit buses they keep running down there. The labor in demoing them for scrap metal is hardly worth the cash.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Mine took about 30 minutes to pop the upholstery off and made enough of the scrap metal to go and have lunch. The only issue I had in removing the stop signs was plugging up the pneumatic air line and patching the outer shell hole.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Scrap metal is up right now at $8/100lb. It was as low as $2.50 a few months back. Salvage makes them worth more than garbage. The sheet metal backs can be cut out used for patches .
Old 04-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I pulled my stop sign off last summer and it didn't affect starting.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I just removed the stop sign and the swing arm system on the front bumper. Bus started without any issues. However I am confused about plugging the pneumatic lines, what exactly do I plug those with?
Skool Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skool Munkee View Post
I just removed the stop sign and the swing arm system on the front bumper. Bus started without any issues. However I am confused about plugging the pneumatic lines, what exactly do I plug those with?
I never plugged mine and it doesn't seem to have been a problem. Do you hear hissing from the cut hose?
Old 04-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I have not heard any hissing from the hose, but was curious if this is something that can cause potential issues down the road.

All the posts I searched says plug the line, but wasn't even sure what that involves.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
I have not heard any hissing from the hose, but was curious if this is something that can cause potential issues down the road.

All the posts I searched says plug the line, but wasn't even sure what that involves.
Maybe the hose is only pressurized when the sign is extended? Try hitting your flasher switch and see if that makes air come out.
Old 04-18-2021, 01:45 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Maybe the hose is only pressurized when the sign is extended? Try hitting your flasher switch and see if that makes air come out.
Correct. On mine, there is only air to that line when the sign is activated.
However, it would be a good idea to cap the line to prevent dirt/debris/bugs from getting in there...

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Usually a 10/24 or 1/4 20 machine screw screwed into the end does fine.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Usually a 10/24 or 1/4 20 machine screw screwed into the end does fine.
Great thank you for the information, I really appreciate your help, as I just couldn't figure out if I needed to buy some special part to cap the lines.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Great thank you for the information, I really appreciate your help, as I just couldn't figure out if I needed to buy some special part to cap the lines.
The proper part you're looking for is a push connect cap in whatever size line you have. Like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Tubin.../dp/B00L9BUDQA

Hydraulic stores will likely carry this fitting, I know my local Colliflower does.

However I agree something shoved into line will suffice, especially if you have no plans to reuse the line in the near future. I did not cap any of my lines since I do not plan to reuse them and removed the constant air supply and power sources to the solenoids that fed them. I haven't gotten around to removing the solenoids and their lines yet.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:41 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
The proper part you're looking for is a push connect cap in whatever size line you have. Like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Connect-Tubin.../dp/B00L9BUDQA

Hydraulic stores will likely carry this fitting, I know my local Colliflower does.

However I agree something shoved into line will suffice, especially if you have no plans to reuse the line in the near future. I did not cap any of my lines since I do not plan to reuse them and removed the constant air supply and power sources to the solenoids that fed them. I haven't gotten around to removing the solenoids and their lines yet.
Thank you, I don't know what sort of things I could do with these lines, so maybe I will just keep them plugged for now.

Is there any benefit to removing the solenoids and the lines?
Old 04-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thank you, I don't know what sort of things I could do with these lines, so maybe I will just keep them plugged for now.

Is there any benefit to removing the solenoids and the lines?
Tidiness is really the only significant reason, my electrical compartment was a nasty mess before I started and removing the solenoids gives me some room back in here.

They could be reused for air horns as well and perhaps any other application you could think of that needs some air.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:23 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

My electrical compartment actually looks quite similar to that in your picture, so I may follow suit and do some clean-up as well!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
My electrical compartment actually looks quite similar to that in your picture, so I may follow suit and do some clean-up as well!
Definitely be extremely careful in how you proceed, this is where many people make mistakes that keep their buses from starting and cause problems that weren't there before. It only takes one mistake... and figuring out where that mistake was can be a nightmare.

Even I'm not perfect and iirc I accidently disconnected something in my AC system where one set of fans (either condenser or evaporator) is not working anymore. I should be able to just run a fresh wire to whatever relay it was, but still extreme caution is advised.

After removing all the warning light switches, flasher module, some weird thing called a talky bus, the wheelchair lift interlock, and most of the wiring attached to those items, I can't really say it was a drastic change. A bunch of zipties and a lot of hours rerouting and massaging wires may yield better results as the rest of this spaghetti seems necessary.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I used one as air source for an air horn, and the other for two air ride seats. The stop sign and crossing arm are already plumbed through a pressure protection valve, so the air source is correct for accessories.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removing bus bits