Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Replacing Defroster + Automation Ideas

Hi all,

I bought a 1999 International RE bus from another member a few months back that I've been working on. One of the big problems I have is that the looooooong coolant lines and heaters + defroster have all been removed.

I know of blower/heaters that can serve as a defroster replacement, I'm currently seeking affordable coolant hose. Any sources? 37' bus, so I'll probably need 40-50 feet each way (100ft total). It would be nice to have a little extra length, maybe install a few extra blowers as well, have a backup for the propane furnace.

Also, seeking automation ideas. I'm going to put up a ton of solar at the end of this year and automate the crap out of everything. Sensors on the tanks, computer control for anything that makes sense. I'm a programmer and I've already put some of my skills to use with the air door:

I've ripped out a whole 5 gallon bucket of unnecessary electrical, I have no problems getting into that stuff.

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if you plan to drive that bus in the winter, then you really need a bus size defroster / heater for the front... small little car-based heaters arent going to clear a bus windshield or keep it nice n toasty in a northern winter..

1" coolant line isnt cheap.. but in most busses it was located inside so it lasts forever.. maybe time to hit a bus junkyard and find yourself some front heaters and long coolant hose.. you can run the coolant hoses under the bus.. i would sleeve them for protection.. that way you sont have to deal with them taking up space inside..

NAPA auto parts sells the stuff.. I know it isnt cheap.. but if you get new you can cut to length as needed..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Almost There

I would probably go for metal tube with hose on the ends, just be careful to avoid galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals in the coolant system.

There is hose that would do the job but not cheaply.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:51 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
And now we see the results of people removing heating/defrosting systems willy-nilly, with no thought given until too late.

I'm fine with folks removing/bypassing rear heat systems. I'm fine with folks removing the front heat/defrost if they plan to replace it, fix it, or never need it. Not so much when it's removed, then the bus is sold to some unwitting buyer who will later need it. At the very least, keep the removed components and send 'em along with the bus if you sell it.

Manufacturers spent lots of time and money and resources making the original systems up to the task. Why should we undo their engineering for something that will be woefully inadequate? Granted, a few of us have the knowledge and skills to build a suitable system. An electric defroster is *NOT* a "suitable system".
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
For my 33' RE flat nose I removed both the rear and mid heaters, but have kept the defroster fully intact. Even in mild weather, it gets cold sitting in the seat doing nothing. Plus, living in the PNW, the amount of moisture in the air creates a fair amount of window fogging.

I think I thought about metal pipe, but for some reason I nixed the idea. I think part of it was how do I insulate it?

So, I ended up buying this Gates hose. I did a lot of research on hoses, and while I've forgotten most of it already, I determined this was a great middle of the road solution. Two rolls of 50'.

I'm running it in corrugated high temp loom under the bus and across the cross members. I will be adding some rubber between the loom and cross members. If I feel the hose still requires support between the cross members, I'll use something like flashing or sheet metal to rest the loom on.

Depending on the internal gap between the hose and the loom, I may add a thin layer of rubber mat (stuff I pulled up from the bus floor...never throw anything away until you're done...maybe not even then) between the hose and loom for even more hose protection.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210517_191553926.jpg   IMG_20210517_191620870.jpg   IMG_20210517_191612682.jpg  
Old 05-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #6

Year: 2008
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: saf-t-liner c2
Engine: 7.2 Mercedes om926la
Rated Cap: 77
im over in hollis maine. i removed my rear heaters along with the 30 feet of hose each way. id be willing to part with hose for $60. if you want rear heaters id be willing to sell them as well. like the rpi3 stuff, is there any arduino code for the 16ch relays?
08freightliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubisGuit View Post
Wow, looks amazing on video, how are you doing now? I think this is a very interesting topic, it would be nice for you to write what you have new.br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}
The conversion is done, and all the lights, water pump, etc are computer controlled. Buttons on the wall control different light zones, and a web interface allows for manual control as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08freightliner View Post
like the rpi3 stuff, is there any arduino code for the 16ch relays?
I added a second 16ch controller, and when I did, I switched from an RPi to controlling the relay controllers directly to an Arduino Mega. My sketch:
https://github.com/kazetsukaimiko/fr...k/jsonlink.ino

This is generic code for talking to the Arduino via serial. Buttons / web control is in Java, a computer runs the Java program that sends commands to the Arduino via serial. You could talk to the Arduino with any language that can use a serial port like Python.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im 5 years in with my custom driver heat / cool with refrigerated defrost.. best thing I ever did.. my mid heater is refrigerated heat as wel..

cold rain no worries... just last week i had 6 or 7 of us in the DEV bus, it was about 45 outside and pouring. defrost and heat on.. windows were fogged up mess.. hit the compressor switch and within less than a minute the fog was evaporating away till i soon had 100% clear windows.. all throughout the bus..

the concept is simple (and the way your car works).. all of the air goes over the A/C coil first where it is chilled down and the humidity removed, then it blows over the heater coil if desired to reheat it for cold days.. the result is extremely efficient defogging in weather where its at or above freezing.. below freezing you can use it however you only have a shoirt time to run it before the A/C coil freezes... but ost times below freezing my defroster does fine bringing in straight outside air no recirc..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Hmmmm, do they have front window fans that also have a heating element included? This could provide warm air almost instantly??

Be nice for the driver too!

Per all the computer stuff. I was just reading a post about how they won't let RVs/Conversions that are more than 10 years old in RV parks. I'm betting some of your vehicles would make new RVs look old technology wise.