Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Replacing top flashing lights

Hey, i have a shortbus and i took the top lights out and have to put something in their place, does anyone have any advice? I was thinking of laminating vinyls and putting them in place of the lights. Id love to hear suggestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

instantbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

Hello. I am new to this site looking for answers. I have a 2001 ford e450 champion bus that has a couple of issues in the fuse box located above the drivers head. The wire connector that goes to the fuse box and the wires run to the rear heater relay got so hot that it melted the plastic and it blew the fuse. I replaced it and then touched the connector it was extremely hot. The rear heater did work though but the new connector got really hot again. What do you think this is?
Pstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstone View Post
Hello. I am new to this site looking for answers. ...
PStone - welcome! But you ought to start with a new thread: as it is, folks will not see your question because it is buried under a 'flashing lights' post. Wishing you the best!
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I deleted my front flashers by cutting a piece of aluminum that fits over the entire front roof cap, then attaching it with 3M 5200 marine adhesive. When it's painted body color it will look like it came from the factory that way. I just don't like seeing obvious patches over each light. It's more work to do it this way, but I think it will be worth it.

I repurposed my rear flashers as extra high-mount brake lights. They only work when I turn on my fog lights, and together with a Hella red rear fog light I should be very visible in fog or heavy rain.

John

PS - you posted this thread three times!
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Most just use sheet metal to block off the holes but it would be cool to mount rocket launchers or machine guns at each corner.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Skoolie

I am planning to replace the lights in mine with clear lens for one set (with superbright LED flood), and rewire as turn signals for the second set (if there are two). There are some good resources in this thread for where to get the lenses - http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/fl...html#post45071
Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Been a lot of discussion on converting the upper fronts to white lights. Consensus seemed to be that DOT limits the height on any forward facing white lights to less that what a skoolie is and/or require they be covered when on any public roads. Fine for off road but can be problem otherwise.

Anyone else recall this discussion/thread?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
I replaced mine with LED lights. Here is a couple video about how I did the lights:

And then more details about the wiring:

Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Been a lot of discussion on converting the upper fronts to white lights. Consensus seemed to be that DOT limits the height on any forward facing white lights to less that what a skoolie is and/or require they be covered when on any public roads. Fine for off road but can be problem otherwise.

Anyone else recall this discussion/thread?
I have never found a Federal nor State D.O.T. regulation regarding the requirement to keep forward facing "white lights" (other than the o.e.m. headlights) covered to be legal on-road.
You just can't turn them on when on-road.
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleO7 View Post
I have never found a Federal nor State D.O.T. regulation regarding the requirement to keep forward facing "white lights" (other than the o.e.m. headlights) covered to be legal on-road.
You just can't turn them on when on-road.
This was my understanding as well. I ask the TN DOT guy about it and he said you can have whatever lights you want on the bus, you just cannot have them on except for the normal legal stuff - marker lights, front and rear turn/running lights and headlights.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I could not recall if anyone ever verified this concern one way or the other.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
The NCDOT has a specific section that covers add on running lights that spells out no more than 6' above the road and within 16" from the corners of the vehicle.
Nothing is said about fog lights or backup lights as far as dimensions/locations.
I am changing all of mine.
The four on the rear will be backup lighting and the front will be fog/accessory lighting as needed for parking,pulling into dark new areas,etc..
I have found some from optronics.
7"-LED DOT compliant transit backup light. 42 diodes ,hard wired with no plug required.
Part # bul90 cbp.
Through Orielly auto parts for around 30$ a piece.
Good luck and have fun.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter Body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 to Zero. Folding Chair
Height of front facing lights varies per state.
In my state, you are limited to six front facing lights no higher than 24 inches from roadway surface.
Six sounds like a lot but when you consider mid-late 90's model vehicle often had a set of dims and set of brights, you could only add two additional light heads.

Now, this was not limited to off road vehicles. The roll bar and limitations were different, when I first started copping the any top mounted forward facing light were limited to five. Then it changed to six and then they added mid level lights for crawlers or mudders. Mid level are hood level, such as spotlights or handheld lights.

One of the biggest and easiest offered way back in the early 00's were dodge and GMC pick up trucks. The dual headlight assemblies with optional fog lights hit the limit, putting a grille guard or extended bumper with a pair of driving lights could have been an automatic citation. A cheap reason for a bored bacon to stop and say hello on a tuesday evening.

Anyway, sorry that doesnt matter for this post.
You need to check with your local highway agency or local PD.
They could give you the exact yes or no you need.
Also, a shortcut is telling anyone who may have a legal issue with the additional lights that you only use them when parked and not while driving.
I always assumed having floods in the flashers would be horrible for driving with such a spray and light wash on the hood would be more blinding than illuminating.

Either way, I would like to see how they turn out.
New2Skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #14

What did you guys do for insulation behind the lights that you re-wired as flood lights?
I am going the closed-cell spray foam route, but I don't want to spray behind lights that I may need to access again. I am doing foam board for the lower rear lights (the brake and turn signal lights).

How did you make them accessible?
Any ideas?

Thanks!!

AlexaKelly
Roundbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Here's a thought replace with bull horn speakers attached to your pa system " hey dumbazz you been driving with her blinker on for ten miles!"

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I pretty much just covered mine with foam. It's easy enough to pick the foam off gently if you need to get in there, then use canned foam to patch up if necessary.