Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'm not even going to use glue. The weight of the ply, not to mention furnishings inside the bus, will hold the floor down. Even for what you guys call a floating floor, I put a few screws here and there just to pin things down where the edges of the ply meet.
My plan ^^^

... and because the OEM ply is staying in (it's in perfect condition), I'm going with a thinner ply above the insulation. As I can screw into both layers there will be plenty of stability.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I've frequently questioned what thickness of ply to use over the insulation. I'm not using any furring strips to prevent the insulation from crushing, but I think it would be a good idea to use furring around the edge of the stairs to prevent the insulation from crushing near the edge of the stairs.

I'm wanting to insulate the stairs too. Did anybody else see frost on the lower part of the dashboard in the stairwell this winter?

I'm not actually planning on staying in this cold climate so a lot of this insulation work will be to support my air conditioning system, I hope.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The insulation would have to actively slide across the top of the bedliner product. It seems like the rough surface would prevent the insulation from sliding around. I mean if we're talking about the same thing there's going to be some weight on the flooring surface over the insulation. Even with a floating floor installation I cant imagine the insulation sliding around, but I'm no expert in insulation or construction for that matter.

On my first bus I put Blackjack roof repair on my badly rusted steel subfloor using a large tile comb before covering with 3/4 ply. It actually worked well and didn't smell even in the summers. It was the window design on that first bus that rotted out the floor originally. It's been about 30 years and it's rotted out again, but I'm guessing that coating of tar on the floor is still keeping that steel subfloor from rusting.
It works similar to one of those vibrating sanders. With a lot of weight on it, or everything screwed/bolted down to it, it may not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I plan on glueing down the rigid isolation, so I doubt it's going to be moving and sanding itself down.
The few that I have done, I have only glued down the foam and ply. I do add some screws if I go with thin ply like 3/8 or 7/16. Everything framed on top of the floor should hold it down.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote