Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
5.3 cfm isn't much air flow so I'm not surprised. Two thoughts. First, try someone else's chisel and second, try someone else's 10 cfm air supply--or both.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetireddad View Post
Hey guys I got s much bigger compressor and I jacked the regulator way up and it’s still not doing anything...even poking the centers in....any ideas? It’s a 20 gal 5.3 cfm and in any fashion I can’t get s damn rivet out
Post a video of yourself using it and I'm sure somebody here will figure out what's happening. I got my non-starting bus diagnosed here that way.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350; 4x4 Minibus
Engine: 351c.i.
This isn't meant to talk down to you in any way, I just don't know how else to phrase it, but... Are you sure you have the air chisel set up right? I added a quick release to mine that threads onto the end of the gun. It has set screws around the edges to prevent it from backing out but, they're useless. If it even backs out a 1/8 turn, I lose all cutting power. It still makes the same sounds as if it's working as its meant to. I just can't get through rivets, even the aluminum ones. If I hadn't used one before I might not recognize there's a problem.

Some will have a "power" screw to adjust the gun's speed/force. If that gets out of whack, same deal. Might be something to look at.

Pictures might help us or even a short video clip. I'm wondering if you don't have some solid rivets in there or if your chisel/technique is off or...?
Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBüs View Post
This isn't meant to talk down to you in any way, I just don't know how else to phrase it, but... Are you sure you have the air chisel set up right? I added a quick release to mine that threads onto the end of the gun. It has set screws around the edges to prevent it from backing out but, they're useless. If it even backs out a 1/8 turn, I lose all cutting power. It still makes the same sounds as if it's working as its meant to. I just can't get through rivets, even the aluminum ones. If I hadn't used one before I might not recognize there's a problem.

Some will have a "power" screw to adjust the gun's speed/force. If that gets out of whack, same deal. Might be something to look at.

Pictures might help us or even a short video clip. I'm wondering if you don't have some solid rivets in there or if your chisel/technique is off or...?
My very first day working on my bus, the sum total of my accomplishments was two faint scratch marks on a single chair bolt in the back. Turns out I kept putting the blade in the grinder backwards. In my defense, I'd never used an angle grinder before and it doesn't actually say anywhere on the ******* packaging (for the grinder or the blades) how you put them on.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
How sharp is your chisel? I periodically sharpened mine and it would go through aluminum rivets in a fraction of second (after punching out the mandrel) and steel in a few seconds. I was running 120 psi for the air.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chisel, removal, rivet, rivet help, walls