Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 10:56 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Rivets

I know nothing about rivets and riveting. Since I wasn't planning on covering any windows, I was not concerned with learning anything about them. However, I am now planning on covering the two emergency hatches and that little vent in front of the front hatch. I was thinking about covering them with some of the metal we took off the inside walls, using Sikaflex/butyl tape to secure them, then use screws, then cover edges with Dynatron seam sealer. The more I think about it, I'm wondering if I need to use rivets instead. I've read people have bought the cheap Harbour Freight one. Would rivets be better to use to secure that metal than screws and if so how do you rivet, what size rivets, how close together, and what is the difference between open and blind? Also on my front hatch where there is a leak, there is a rivet missing. It makes wonder if it might make it more secure to use screws.

Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
It's useful to be able to rivet things on a skoolie, so I think it's worth getting set up with a pneumatic riveter ($65 from Harbor Freight) and an air compressor (I got my pancake compressor for $50 on Craigslist); rivets are about $0.50 each for 1/4" stainless steel and $0.20 each for 3/16" (which is adequate for most things).

But you don't need to do this for what you're describing. Screws and seam sealer will work fine.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Thanks!

I already have a couple of compressors though (a pancake one and then a larger one). I've just never seen riveting and have no idea how to do it.
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
If you go the rivet route don't use standard "pop" rivets. Use "structural" rivets. On a standard pop rivet the center nail falls out and there is a hole that leaks water. On a structural rivet the nail stays in place and seals the hole.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote