Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Roll-up security shutters inside windshield on FE flatnose

Hey everyone,

I am looking for ways to secure my bus, including the windshield. I found some low profile roll-up security shutters that I think will fit under the front bulkhead, above the windscreen. Has anyone tried something like this?

Qompact Technical Details | Roll-a-way

I requested a quote, I'll keep y'all posted.

Lowkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well no, not that I've heard of. Most of us use curtains of some sort. Some use blinds. Honeycomb blinds work best from what I'm told.

I understand your idea. I've also thought of having some type of cover for the windshield but I imagined it on the outside. Perhaps a cover that could sit on the roof above the driver's area that could be lowered to cover the windshield?

It gets very complicated and cumbersome. That's why most of us use curtains or panels cut from sheets of insulation that fit tightly against the inside of the windshield. I also put insulation panels in my side windows to reduce heat loss/gain depending on the climate.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkee View Post
I am looking for ways to secure my bus, including the windshield.
Do you have a real reason for wanting/needing this level of "security"?
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I am looking for ways to secure my bus, including the windshield. I found some low profile roll-up security shutters that I think will fit under the front bulkhead, above the windscreen. Has anyone tried something like this?

Qompact Technical Details | Roll-a-way

I requested a quote, I'll keep y'all posted.
Rolladen do more good on the outside on a house, but you'd still get some benefit on the inside. It won't keep vandals or a storm from breaking the windshield which would be a nice benefit to them usually. I know people install roll-up awnings on the sides of their busses. I know it won't do the mpg any benefit on the outside.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, traveling solo to South America. Bus will be sitting alone for long periods while I'm out adventuring. I have a lot of expensive gear.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Yes, traveling solo to South America. Bus will be sitting alone for long periods while I'm out adventuring. I have a lot of expensive gear.
Ahhh yes! Makes sense! Apologies for the questioning...
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
Ahhh yes! Makes sense! Apologies for the questioning...
Questions are more than welcome!

Although it won't look as clean, I am now thinking of installing the shutters on the outside of the windscreen, to prevent damage. Alternatively, I'm looking at 3M window security film. It won't help if someone smashes the windscreen but will take much, much longer for them to get inside than nothing at all.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Buddy I hate to tell you this but if someone wants to get into your bus while you're not there, there isn't much you can do to stop them. Your best bet is to park your bus near a community if you're going to leave it for an extended period of time.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Buddy I hate to tell you this but if someone wants to get into your bus while you're not there, there isn't much you can do to stop them. Your best bet is to park your bus near a community if you're going to leave it for an extended period of time.
My suggestion would be to get permission to park it in a church parking lot each place you plan to leave it and make a donation to the church. They are less likely to steal from a bus that might be a visiting missionary's. No guarantee mind you, bit it will help. I assume you speak Spanish well enough to do that since you are going alone.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Or you can hook your electrical system up so the bus has a hot skin. Nobody will touch your bus twice.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #11
Bus Nut

In South America they will steal your shutters. Nothing is going to stop them if no one is watching your stuff.

If your vehicle is not being watched it will be pillaged. Most people will pay to have their stuff watched fire depts, churches sometimes have extra enclosed parking you can rent for very reasonable prices.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I think this may be a good bet and would probably make me feel better about it while I'm away from the bus. Alarm and 3M film on the glass would be a good hedge, but I like the idea of making friends and paying people to watch it.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I think this may be a good bet and would probably make me feel better about it while I'm away from the bus. Alarm and 3M film on the glass would be a good hedge, but I like the idea of making friends and paying people to watch it.
You can also install the rolladen in a way that would require power tools. Not that many thieves can afford power tools in South America.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
You can also install the rolladen in a way that would require power tools. Not that many thieves can afford power tools in South America.
A rolladen would just require a rope, a car and about 90 sec to pull it off.

Power tools are not that hard to come by, South America is poor but if you are on a road way people have cars if someone can afford a $3,000 car I am sure they can afford a $50. power tool or steal one, borrow one.

A "gang box" bolted down would give a thief a challenge and slow them down a bit.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Well no, not that I've heard of. Most of us use curtains of some sort. Some use blinds. Honeycomb blinds work best from what I'm told.

I understand your idea. I've also thought of having some type of cover for the windshield but I imagined it on the outside. Perhaps a cover that could sit on the roof above the driver's area that could be lowered to cover the windshield?

It gets very complicated and cumbersome. That's why most of us use curtains or panels cut from sheets of insulation that fit tightly against the inside of the windshield. I also put insulation panels in my side windows to reduce heat loss/gain depending on the climate.
Something called "ghetto armor"...fairly light gauge steel panels sized to fit over the windows of equipment...hooks installed on equipment above windows...then the panels are locked together at bottom...personally I'd rather not live in those places...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Yeah, I failed to go for the bulletproof insulation. If this were a tiny home, without wheels, in a bad neighborhood I'd say go for the bulletproofing.

My bus should only need bulletproofing on the back wall, because I'll be leaving.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yeah, I failed to go for the bulletproof insulation. If this were a tiny home, without wheels, in a bad neighborhood I'd say go for the bulletproofing.

My bus should only need bulletproofing on the back wall, because I'll be leaving.
The stuff I'm describing ain't bulletproof...

Old 03-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
The stuff I'm describing ain't bulletproof...

This is the best pic I could find

Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Yeah, like that on the outside of the vehicle. The OP was wanting a protective cover something like that but on the inside of the windshield.

I think I'm starting to understand what OP is talking about. Like the roll down door in the back of a Grumman van, except it rolls down on the inside and stops on the dashboard.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Yeah, like that on the outside of the vehicle. The OP was wanting a protective cover something like that but on the inside of the windshield.

I think I'm starting to understand what OP is talking about. Like the roll down door in the back of a Grumman van, except it rolls down on the inside and stops on the dashboard.
Might prevent entry but you gonna cry if you lose a windshield in South America...I'd be trying to protect my glass