Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #1
Almost There

Roof lift- wiring etc

Hey guys
I'm in a position where I need to get the roof raised asap, unfortunately nothing is ideal. The weather has warmed up a little but it's turned windy. I'm living in it far ahead of schedule, have no way to get it out of the weather and have a whole bunch of stuff in it to trip on and light on fire with the welder. Oh and I'm parked in the back yard of a 21yo coworker who is driving me bonkers with his constant griefing about the way things look. He's a ceo's kid from Lynchburg VA. Imagine that.

Maybe I should wait.. I dunno. The wind is concerning just a bit. I'm doing everything backasswards and going to have to change my own work in addition to the PO's because the roof isnt where it belongs.

I tried to install the 110 gallon upright water tank from a 747 last night, only to find that it is not possible at this time. It stands 6'5, won't even fit in the middle, let alone on the right wheel well where I intend to put it. A temporary install leaned over sounds like a rightly awful idea. Largely due to the fact that when full it weighs over 900 pounds... The only other options would be in the stairwell or in the sunken shower. Lol! Good luck with that right?

If I don't raise the roof now, the whole thing has come to a wall. I still can't even take a shower. It's too cold at night still to leave the hose hooked up, at least for another week per the weather app. Really can't do anything else towards the build. Survival 1.3 is about where I'm at right now. I got heat, I got a refrigerator, the water heater and shower are hooked up and ready to rock but no water tank. Terrible propane campstove is laughable
Still sleeping in a sleeping bag on top of my dog on a couch and using a washer and dryer as counter space. Dryer will be useless until I come up with a 220v generator or land in an rv park with proper hookups. Not interested in gasoline, propane burns up too quick. Diesel generators are stupid expensive but obviously where it's at. I found a few on Alibaba.com from China that would fit the bill nicely.

One thing that has come to mind that I wanted to inquire on is the huge bundle of wiring that runs along the left side near the roof.
I'm wondering if you guys chop them all off and extend them or break them loose and run lower or what. I'm leaning towards chopping. Do I dare use the crimp butt splice connectors? I've never had any problems with them.

Does anyone live or have any connections in NE Michigan that could better facilitate this ordeal?

Do I dare cut the back door in half and add material to the straight section below the window?
Does anybody have a spare back door from an old bluebird? That would be ideal, otherwise if I try to fab it with cheap sheet metal it will never be right.

Any other suggestions?

Oh like where is anybody putting the toilet? The guy I got the thing from seemed to be planning to stick it just inboard of the right rear wheels, basically in the middle of the floor, of all inappropriate locations.

It has a very large shower stall that honestly seems wasteful. It starts at the backside of a subfloor storage compartment and goes to the left wheel well, then takes a step up over half of the wheel well as a "seat"
I would like to stick a sink up on this "seat" and a toilet next to it in the shower pan space raised up back to floor level, but there isn't much room to occupy the toilet, as the wall is too close.
Im thinking maybe I ultimately bring the wall inboard a few inches and move the entrance to the bathroom to the center facing the toilet, instead of straight into the drop shower.

Ah. Hopefully anybody makes some sense of any of that.

Thanks for your input.

Birdhouse is offline   Reply With Quote