RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,395
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I used "C" channel on mine.

I had it bent from 1/8" steel. They are 30" long. I have a 10" raise and 10" overlap top and bottom.

It is solid.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd skip the "hat" and just have some SNUG fitting C channel made.
That would give you more flexibility.
The way those guys are making and selling that hat channel in Colorado makes no sense to me. But I understand why they're just cashing in.
I'd use hot rolled if its cheaper.
If using "C" channel, what is used for a flange to rivet to? It would be much cheaper I'm sure to make "c" channel, instead of hat.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If using "C" channel, what is used for a flange to rivet to? It would be much cheaper I'm sure to make "c" channel, instead of hat.
You can rivet right to the C channel if you mount it backward or come up with some 18 ga angle made from scrap.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #24
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You can rivet right to the C channel if you mount it backward or come up with some 18 ga angle made from scrap.
Riveting to the "C" would not match the double row spacing the rest has.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 211
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Regarding Hat Channel, I gave up as it is much more expensive and lead times around here are several weeks. I also tried leaving messages at Colorado Custom Coachworks but no reply. I am going to try using 1.5x.75x.125 U-channel over the web of the rib and perhaps flat bar on the opposite (leg) side.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #26
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Riveting to the "C" would not match the double row spacing the rest has.
Yeah but it would be barely noticeable and wouldn't look too bad if the whole bus was done the same.
That's what I'd do if doing it again.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,364
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah but it would be barely noticeable and wouldn't look too bad if the whole bus was done the same.
That's what I'd do if doing it again.
I guess it will depend on the price diffeence between hat and C channel
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #28
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Wright City MO
Posts: 280
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I used rectangle tubing and overlapped 8" top and bottom on my 14" raise since I was reskining mine I really did not care about previous rivet placement and I did another no-no and skinned it with prepainted aluminum tractor trailer repair panels came out great used auto panel adhesive and 1 rivet every 10" (5 per run).
__________________
Its hard to be wrong when you live in Wright City!
There is no mechanical problem that cannot be overcome by a skillfully applied combination of brute force and ignorance!
Gdog 5651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:39 PM   #29
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Mt Vernon, WA
Posts: 451
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Im 66 and went with a 16 roof raise. I also wasted little material going with 16. Im considering floor insulation and radiant floor heat so extra headroom is good. A lower raise would have looked better imho.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #30
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
Im 66 and went with a 16 roof raise. I also wasted little material going with 16. Im considering floor insulation and radiant floor heat so extra headroom is good. A lower raise would have looked better imho.
I keep hearing folks say this....
Just hope folks know it usually costs little to nothing to have the plates sheared to size.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #31
Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 116
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Any fab shop with a press brake should be able to make em.
I have been to several metal shops and they all said the same thing, it's too tall in relation to the width. The channel part is 1-1/4 wide and 1-3/4 tall. They say they can't bend it because the first side will fold over and hit the bending machine before it can complete the 90degree bend on the second side. Two of them told me I would have to make 2 z channels and weld them together or find a place to "roll form" them and cut them to length.
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,395
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
I have been to several metal shops and they all said the same thing, it's too tall in relation to the width. The channel part is 1-1/4 wide and 1-3/4 tall. They say they can't bend it because the first side will fold over and hit the bending machine before it can complete the 90degree bend on the second side. Two of them told me I would have to make 2 z channels and weld them together or find a place to "roll form" them and cut them to length.
It's a shame you aren't closer. Shop here did it without pause. Out of 1/8" material as well.

Colorado Custom sells them ready made but very expensive.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #33
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
I have been to several metal shops and they all said the same thing, it's too tall in relation to the width. The channel part is 1-1/4 wide and 1-3/4 tall. They say they can't bend it because the first side will fold over and hit the bending machine before it can complete the 90degree bend on the second side. Two of them told me I would have to make 2 z channels and weld them together or find a place to "roll form" them and cut them to length.
I had the custom C channel made by a local shop that does mostly DOT work. Parts of bridges and stuff. So they have every kind of big equipment one could dream of.
Try a BIG fab shop, not a mom n pop.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:19 AM   #34
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,844
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I had the custom C channel made by a local shop that does mostly DOT work. Parts of bridges and stuff. So they have every kind of big equipment one could dream of.
Try a BIG fab shop, not a mom n pop.
I had some "hat channel" made by a metal supply shop. You buy the sheets needed and they will form it for you. I can not remember the cost, but it was *almost* done by the weight, not much more than the sheet. At least that is what I recall.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:46 AM   #35
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,031
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I had some "hat channel" made by a metal supply shop. You buy the sheets needed and they will form it for you. I can not remember the cost, but it was *almost* done by the weight, not much more than the sheet. At least that is what I recall.
YES that's the kind of shop!
I also pay about what the weight is for the steel.
__________________
.
Wear A Mask- Stop the Spread!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #36
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Manitoba Canada
Posts: 143
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
Here's 12"

This is with 12 inch raise behind the driver seat.. Don't think it looks to humpy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190615_152729.jpg (382.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20190615_152647.jpg (363.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190915_122542_HDR.jpg (380.5 KB, 15 views)
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
Roof raise

If you go higher you can put storage at floor level like the class A jobs and bunks up top. Also gives more room for pipes, wires, insulation, and propane storage.
Sp6saz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:13 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South MS
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogpondfoug View Post
This is with 12 inch raise behind the driver seat.. Don't think it looks to humpy
Was your bus a tall roof before the raise? What is the inside height now?
2po2watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×