Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: c70
Engine: 8.2l dd
roof rase and clearance lights

so had to move the bus to new location to work on it more. when i arived the guy that was living there said my front clearance lights were not legal and had to be higher up on the cab. on the roof raise the front is the stock hight and and i rose up the back part and created a slant kinda roof. i cant seem to find any info on ether way. also to note one my way to the new location i stoped to reajust some stuff and i got spot lighted one by high way patrol unit but that did not seem instred and they went on. in town i was pasted by a police also when back in town so i thout i was in the good. just want to know if you all have any info
Attached Thumbnails
20150309_190847.jpg  

michellep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

here is Canada's list
Truck/Bus/MPV Poster Table for Website

most listings seem to reflect "as close to top as practical" or "appropriate"

So technically they probably could use it as "Probable cause" I would move them, just to keep them of your back...

lets see what else is posted
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

Build thread and more pics of that bus please.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil View Post
here is Canada's list
Truck/Bus/MPV Poster Table for Website

most listings seem to reflect "as close to top as practical" or "appropriate"

So technically they probably could use it as "Probable cause" I would move them, just to keep them of your back...

lets see what else is posted
That's my take on it too. Sometimes I see weird stuff especially at the back end of tank trailers where there's no top outside corner for the white reflective tape or lamps... As for the front lamps, yeah, I'd probably relocate them upward.

It seems to me that most police/highway patrol either aren't knowledgeable about or aren't interested in "minor" commercial FMVSS/FMCSA/DOT regulations and so wouldn't even recognize something like clearance lamps not exactly where required. But once in a while you'll cross paths with the one who does know the regs and observes your truck doesn't comply.

Depending on the construction of the slope you might be able to drill a new hole above each lamp and wiggle a wire down to the existing lamp without having to open any interior finished areas. Then either patch the old lamp's place or even leave it installed, working or not. I don't think anybody will hassle you about having extra clearance lamps there.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

On a positive note, maybe they weren't looking for legalities, but being human were just checking out the unusual new beast in the neighborhood??

I drove an old hearse conversion for a while. Took me forever to figure out all that all the high beams and spotlights were to get a better look. Smiles and thumbs-up were the usual outcomes. It was (very subtly) tagged with "rock and roll will never die"
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
On some cab fairings, tractor trailer, marker lights are on the roof not the top of the fairing...might depend on State/Province.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1980
Chassis: c70
Engine: 8.2l dd
so up date i asked the state highway patrol who checks those things. he did not know on motor homes. but on commercial vehicle it is when was put stock so dont move them acording to him. took his name date time when called so i if i have a problem i have a reffance to that
michellep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Sounds good to me! Just tuck that note away with your registration and insurance papers. On the long shot that somebody ever did decide that this officer's advice was wrong, you could probably bargain to have the charges dismissed based on this and your willingness to relocate the lamp in whatever way they might require. I imagine they'd be pretty reasonable about that.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
the 3 lights in the middle are actually called "ID lights", they just mean that your vehicle is over 6 feet 6 inches wide (not counting mirrors) the clearance lights are the 2 on the outside at the corners
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote