Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Turbo
Krud Kutter

We used the Krud Kutter rust converter and likes the results. Didn’t use the degreaser but have read good things about it as well.

Krud Kutter RX01 Rust Converter, 1-Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6T79Q/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_fabc_54R3VN8X5FEJ52S9S44J? _encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Jfoster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: unknown... really!
Rated Cap: 69
i used Por15 rust converter on my firewall and floor under the driver's feet a couple years ago, and i'm very impressed. the floor was rusted clear through in some spots which i patched first, but there are no signs of rust returning. and you'd think it was powder coated! super tough glossy finish.

it's pricey, but worth it. you'll need to throw away your paint brushes afterwards because this will not wash out.
katix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by katix View Post
i used Por15 rust converter on my firewall and floor under the driver's feet a couple years ago, and i'm very impressed. the floor was rusted clear through in some spots which i patched first, but there are no signs of rust returning. and you'd think it was powder coated! super tough glossy finish.

it's pricey, but worth it. you'll need to throw away your paint brushes afterwards because this will not wash out.
Rubber gloves are also a real good idea with this stuff. Whenever I've gotten it on my skin, it takes like two weeks to come off.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I tried "1 Step Rust Killer" from IPI. I did a lot of research and it seemed like it was a good product.

I wasn't satisfied. I had done what I thought was more than average preparation, and applied per instructions, but in the end, I had to really get aggressive with the deteriorating metal. Then, instead of using more of the rust converter, I rolled on good ol' rustoleum metal primer with "rustoleum stop rust". I then painted over that with rustoleum white oil based.

While most of the painted areas are covered, there's still some exposed, namely my entry steps and the back two seat areas. I'm walking on and putting tools down on these areas all the time. Tough as nails.

Bottom line, I'm not too sold on the rust converter and heavier areas of rust. I think if you are going to use the rust converter, you need to get pretty aggressive with the rust removal.

Hope that helps.