Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Rust reformer/converter quick question

Is it ok to apply rust converter to old rust preventive oil based paint? I wire wheeled were all my seat holes are so I can weld them but changed my mind and am now going to use fasteners and seam sealer. I have some rustoleum rust reformer spray for those spots but other those there are other places that have been worn and scratched. Can I put a coat of rust converter over the whole floor including where the old paint is or is that a bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210321-090948_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210321-090942_Gallery.jpg   Screenshot_20210321-090937_Gallery.jpg  

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
If the paint is adhering it should mean there's no rust there, so I would only put ospho on actual rusty metal. It shouldn't do anything to the paint, though, so I wouldn't worry about getting a little bit on it. With all this stuff, if you're unsure it's always good to start with a little test area and see what happens.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
If the paint is adhering it should mean there's no rust there, so I would only put ospho on actual rusty metal. It shouldn't do anything to the paint, though, so I wouldn't worry about getting a little bit on it. With all this stuff, if you're unsure it's always good to start with a little test area and see what happens.
Ospho is the same as or similar to rust converter? If not would you recommend it over the spray I mentioned?

Thanks!
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Ospho is the same as or similar to rust converter? If not would you recommend it over the spray I mentioned?

Thanks!
Rust-Oleum rust reformer is a little different than Ospho. The Rust-O product is the kind of goop that has an acid for dissolving the rust (I think it's tannic acid but I'm not sure) and converting it to ferrous whatever, and also some added polymers that form a sort of plastic-y protective layer. Ospho is just phosphoric acid, which dissolves the rust and converts it to ferrous phosphate. It also leaves a sort of protective coat but not one as long-lasting as the rusto.

The rust reformer is probably better overall and it's definitely better anywhere you won't be bothering to paint afterwards. Ospho is good and I've killed a large amount of rust with it but there's no reason to ditch what you have.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Also, whatever you use, I personally would recommend not spraying it. I prefer brushing on ospho with a chip brush - it's easier to work it into pitted rust and it's less messy and hazardous to your health. If you already have rattle cans of whatever you're using, make sure you have a good respirator and splash-proof eyewear and full body protection (really you need this even if you're brushing instead of spraying).
Old 06-21-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Michael Corbier
Chassis: GMC Savana 3500
Engine: 6.5 Diesel
Rust reformer vs ospho

This is a good discussion about rust removal. I read the warnings from one product called Kleen Strip. The acid has a number of health warnings including vapors, and skin irritation. Rust reformer uses a less toxic acid, that from what I read, can be as effective as Kleen Strip. It has health warnings, but not as severe as KS. It also comes in liquid form, a big plus if you are underneath the vehicle.
Corbi is offline   Reply With Quote