Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid Bus
Engine: 6.0L Vortec V8
Rated Cap: 16
Rustoleum Reformer Spray

So I'm in the "mother&$#&*$# rust cleaning reforming painting why the heck did we do this again?" phase of my build. Ran to the local big and small hardware stores for supplies. Grabbed a couple rattle cans of etching primer, rustoleum rust reformer, and jug of Ospho. I tested a few spots with the Rusto rattle can and some with Ospho. Please note that I'm not choosing one over the other. I intend on coating all rust with Ospho.

Here's my question...is there much of a point to the Rusto rattle cans? It "paints" everything black so I guess I can't really tell if the rust underneath is being reformed.

Going forward, I intend on using the cans for light surface rust in the sheet metal panels and what not since I already bought them but can I trust it more than that? Does anyone like the stuff? Can I use it as an underbody coat for those hard to reach places after I've let the Ospho do it's thing?

Thanks all!

gmflash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmflash88 View Post
So I'm in the "mother&$#&*$# rust cleaning reforming painting why the heck did we do this again?" phase of my build. Ran to the local big and small hardware stores for supplies. Grabbed a couple rattle cans of etching primer, rustoleum rust reformer, and jug of Ospho. I tested a few spots with the Rusto rattle can and some with Ospho. Please note that I'm not choosing one over the other. I intend on coating all rust with Ospho.

Here's my question...is there much of a point to the Rusto rattle cans? It "paints" everything black so I guess I can't really tell if the rust underneath is being reformed.

Going forward, I intend on using the cans for light surface rust in the sheet metal panels and what not since I already bought them but can I trust it more than that? Does anyone like the stuff? Can I use it as an underbody coat for those hard to reach places after I've let the Ospho do it's thing?

Thanks all!
The cans aren't the magic stuff in the jugs. They're totally different despite having the same name.
Its probably good after the ospho does its thing. I've used it before but only after actually treating the rust.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
I use the Rustoleum rust reformer for some small projects like a welding table I just welded together, it seems to work in covering up the surface rust just fine. I do not know if it is working to "convert" the rust but it does a nice job of covering it up and sealing it away from any moisture that would fuel it's further growth.
For larger jobs such as the floor in a bus I would use the ospho and then roll out some nice implement/tractor paint.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote