Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Bus Geek

rv sewer hookup

So I have my hose etc, problem is of the 2 major companies Camco/Valtera they both use "screw into pipe threaded 90* ends

like so
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

I know two of the campgrounds we have stayed in had just pvc with a cap, so obvi0ously these wouldnt screw into them since they have no threads

So went searching for a rubber cone to seal the end,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
Amazon had 2 with like 3 reviews total, so people are using something else, I guess

Are they just sticking the threaded ends in as far as they go and putting a rock on it so it doesnt fall out of the sewer connection?

Help ya'll....new to not using bath houses....or......different than emptying waste tanks, where I would flop the cap ontop of connection and open valve slowly

bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Re: rv sewer hookup

Quote:
Are they just sticking the threaded ends in as far as they go and putting a rock on it so it doesnt fall out of the sewer connection
That's what I do.

Or if you have more money and storage space than you know what to do with you can get one of these.
http://fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.co...er-11-0000.htm

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Quote:
Are they just sticking the threaded ends in as far as they go and putting a rock on it so it doesnt fall out of the sewer connection
That's what I do.

Or if you have more money and storage space than you know what to do with you can get one of these.
http://fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.co...er-11-0000.htm

Dick
Old 09-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

Are they just sticking the threaded ends in as far as they go and putting a rock on it so it doesnt fall out of the sewer connection?
Yes. I WAS using a sandbag rather than a rock, but I think Mum took it. Or some brat did. I dunno, it disappeared. Maybe one day I'll make another one.

Okay, I better scoot before I'm late for that nasty four-letter that takes up all my free time.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil

Yes. I WAS using a sandbag rather than a rock, but I think Mum took it. Or some brat did. I dunno, it disappeared. Maybe one day I'll make another one.
Yes, I took MY sandbag! Go make yourself another one you cheap thing. All it takes is a bag of play sand (In the cement section $3.69 for a 50 lb bag) a heavy zip lock baggie (you probably have some in your cabinets) and one of those heavy vinyl zippered pencil pouches they hang all over Wal-Mart in all the departments. Fill the plastic baggie with a couple cups of sand, squeese out the air and close. Put the baggie into the zippered pouch and close it. The bag should not be stuffed with the sand, just enough to add weight and form over the end of the sewer connector.

For those of you who are curious, the plastic baggie keeps the sand dry, the vinyl pouch keep the sun from destroying the plastic. The ones we have are a few years old (like about 4 years old in constant sun and rain). I need to flip the pouch inside out and restitch it as the thread had rotted on one end.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Bus Geek

3 camp grounds and all different so far it been a plug and play with a rock or board ontop
Old 09-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Bansil,
We use the grey "threaded" elbow similar to the red one but it's in two parts. We have only been in one park EVER that we could have threaded the thing into. And we have been using sewer hookups since 1987. We just set it in place and put the sand bag over it.

Because it is stepped, it generally just wobbles around in the pipe (which tends to only be threaded to accept the pipe cap). The sand bag holds the elbow flange tight to the pipe to prevent smells. I also have a foam donut for the "large" pipes and the places the require a foam donut. The elbow will slip into the foam donut and seal tightly. I still use the sand bag. I bought both the elbow (part of a sewer hose kit) & seal at WalMart.

We jerked the yellow wire thingy off and replaced with large wormscrew hose clamps after the first time we replaced the hose.

The donut was bought to drain the food carts grey water into the campground sewer.

Currently the sewer hose is clamped to the bus drain with wormscrew clamp. It works well except it wants to cut the sewer hose. This works because we are parked and do not move. We need to replace that method before we are ready to move the bus. We only have PVC pipe and we need to put a threaded end on the pipe and a mating thread on the sewer hose. We will also be replacing the sewer hose before we leave here. It's been sitting out in the NM sun since 2011 when we moved over here. As long as we don't move it, it will hold together. Once we move it, the plastic will crack and split. Under normal moving, a "heavy duty" sewer hose from Wal-mart will last us about a year. Although we do carry an extra (unused) hose just in case. I have discovered park workers have "weed-eated" my sewer hose more than once. It's why I like using the plastic rain gutter as a sewer hose support.

(sorry for the overly large pics... I can't figure out how to make them smaller)
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote