Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Freightliner Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 71
RV windows?

Hi folks,

I’ve several times seen people on here say that school bus windows are terrible and that replacing with RV windows is a good idea. A few questions:

- Are RV windows actually much better (particularly for their cost)? We haven’t seen that those have great R values either, for example. We absolutely do not want anything tinted.

- We intend to have curtains, probably heavy ones for winter nights and light ones for cutting glare/heat gain during the day. Should we still consider RV windows or will the curtains do the trick?

- If we wanted to put in RV windows, where would we get them? We’d prefer to get used ones (e.g. off of scrap RVs) rather than new if possible. How much should we expect them to cost?

- How do we make the new windows fit? I’m sure school bus and RV windows are not the same dimensions. How does installation work?

Any other advice on windows and RV windows that I’m not thinking to ask?

Thanks!!

olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
The proper way to fit RV windows would be to remove the old windows, weld in framework the size of the new windows and then reskin the outside and cut out the window opening and install the RV window. It's not an easy plug and play type situation, but worth the effort for the final results.
You just need to search RV salvage in your area or hit up Craigslist and Ebay places for used windows.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Marc covered it pretty well.

I will add that there are double pane RV windows that are a world better than RV windows.

They are available on eBay as well.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I have RV windows I’m not using if anyone is interested. Located in Chattanooga.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
I have RV windows I’m not using if anyone is interested. Located in Chattanooga.
Are yours double pane?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Marc covered it pretty well.

I will add that there are double pane RV windows that are a world better than RV windows.

They are available on eBay as well.
I meant "better than bus windows".....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on thing for sure is that school bus windows are known to leak in heavy or sideways rains.. not all do but many do.. R value isnt everything.. the panoramic view and tightness against water of RV windows is a world better than school bus windows..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Freightliner Thomas
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 71
Thanks for all this feedback! If I'm putting in RV windows, what if they are wider than the school bus windows - do I wind up cutting through those structural beams (that on the floor are called frame rails?) and how do I avoid damaging the structure/strength of the bus?

Also, I've read that double-paned windows are a bad idea in a vehicle (even ones meant for RVs) because they start to leak a bit of air and then get condensation between the panes. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, anyone installed RV windows before and interested in helping us with this? Somewhere along the east coast -ish or Northeastern U.S. would be great.

Thanks!
olives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by olives View Post
Thanks for all this feedback! If I'm putting in RV windows, what if they are wider than the school bus windows - do I wind up cutting through those structural beams (that on the floor are called frame rails?) and how do I avoid damaging the structure/strength of the bus?

Also, I've read that double-paned windows are a bad idea in a vehicle (even ones meant for RVs) because they start to leak a bit of air and then get condensation between the panes. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, anyone installed RV windows before and interested in helping us with this? Somewhere along the east coast -ish or Northeastern U.S. would be great.

Thanks!
You make a cantilever frame.

Where you cut out a rib you add horizontal pieces of square tube to frame the upper and lower window edges, and vertical pieces for the sides. The cut rib is welded to that new frame and strength is retained.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
I'm interested in what you might have in windows David. You're close enough to me to pick them up.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
i did the exact thing you're wondering and what they are talking about. i found 9 used rv windows for $135. got pretty lucky though. even a frosted one for the bathroom. non tinted too. a lot were wider than 2 1/2' about the space between ribs. which i welded square tubing in between the ribs that were cut like mentioned and then around the window as well. plasma cut out the openings and rivet them in to the new bus skin.

it will all make a lot more sense to you when you completely strip your bus down, if you havent already.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The proper way to fit RV windows would be to remove the old windows, weld in framework the size of the new windows and then reskin the outside and cut out the window opening and install the RV window. It's not an easy plug and play type situation, but worth the effort for the final results.
You just need to search RV salvage in your area or hit up Craigslist and Ebay places for used windows.
Is it necessary to weld in a new framework for a window? What would be wrong with cutting out the opening just through the interior plywood and exterior skin and installing it like that?
lebusmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: S2
Engine: 6.4 MBE 906
Ughh reading this thread makes me really do the extra work and remove a portion of the bus windows and replace with RV windows. Maybe the best of both worlds lol
Old 08-24-2020, 09:13 PM   #14

Interested in your RV windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
We'd love to know what sort of windows. We are looking for windows on the larger side. Possibly a few small ones as well. Located in NC so we could potentially pick them up if we purchased them from you. Cheers!
PunkMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkMuffin View Post
We'd love to know what sort of windows. We are looking for windows on the larger side. Possibly a few small ones as well. Located in NC so we could potentially pick them up if we purchased them from you. Cheers!

Sorry - that post was from simpler times: April of 2018. The windows are long gone.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:16 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I'm about to start work on window installation this weekend.

Most DIYers online have welded metal frames for the windows. Since I do not have welding experience, I am instead opting to build wood frames for the windows, affixed to the structural ribs. (Check out 6 minutes in)

I can take the precaution to seal the wood, and I'll use a metal bracket to further support the frame.

Can anyone give me a good reason not to use wood, instead of welding?
jsweet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:21 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet89 View Post
Can anyone give me a good reason not to use wood, instead of welding?
There's no problem with using wood for this, but you'll never learn to weld if you use wood and welding is a darn handy ability to have when working on a skoolie. I've welded a ton on my bus, and I hope to actually learn how to weld some day!
Old 03-30-2023, 03:25 PM   #18
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Old thread, I know, but I’m at this phase as well. I hired a welder who is coming out tomorrow for the roof raise. We’re going to cut the hat channels and raise the bus 12”. I’ve got 6 RV windows I’m putting in, the largest of which is a 23”x72” triple pane window. This will span the length of four hat channels all of which will need to be cut. I’ve got 80 feet worth of 1.25” square tubing 1/8” thick that I plan to use as the structural framing. Here’s my question: is it acceptable to weld in that box to be flush up against the flange on the windows or do I need to frame the window with wood and set that INSIDE the metal box?
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:16 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
pics of your rv windows will help us guide you.
not every window mounts the same.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #20
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Pics: https://imgur.com/a/mMH5t1B
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote