Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
RV Wreck

If anyone needs a reason for a skoolie conversion rather than buying an RV.

Found this link on the BCM site:https://www.kptv.com/news/three-peop...d2c761261.html

bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro View Post
If anyone needs a reason for a skoolie conversion rather than buying an RV.

Found this link on the BCM site:https://www.kptv.com/news/three-peop...d2c761261.html
What that makes the case for is having a TRAILER and tow it with a TRUCK.

Here is one of many videos that show the very heavy steel roof makes the schoolbus top heavy so they tip over more easily.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Though the school bus is still a school bus after it rolled, the RV is just a pile of garbage.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
What that makes the case for is having a TRAILER and tow it with a TRUCK.

Here is one of many videos that show the very heavy steel roof makes the schoolbus top heavy so they tip over more easily.

And do you feel that in that situation a camper/truck arrangement wouldn't have skidded on the ice?

Do you know what happens when trucks with trailers skid on ice or snow? They jack knife.

Have you ever seen the damage of a truck/trailer combo jack knife? It isn't pretty, and I see more of them every year then I do school bus rollovers from them being top heavy.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Good grief.

That video shows the tires regaining traction while moving nearly perpendicular to the road. The driver hit the curb. I don't see how _any_ RV escapes a roll in that condition, not to mention there is _a lot_ more steel/weight at the bottom of the cabin that at the top of a school bus. If the argument is that an RV wouldn't have rolled, convince yourself before you try convincing others.

There are merits to box trucks and prebuilt RVs for sure, this video is not illustrative of those merits. There are also merits to buses- fairly confident I'm going to be the one having the better day during severe weather in an RV park or boondocking. Fiberglass and balsa wood versus steel. A chassis thousands of pounds under GVWR after conversion, or one loaded up to the limit from the factory. The steel base of a skoolie is its _number one merit_ for many.

OP, was there really a need to bring this into its own thread?
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Most RVs are wooden framed structures with luan and fiberglass skins built into a steel truck frame. Even with all the living spaces and conveniences installed I don't think the issue with RVs versus school buses is being more top-heavy. So I'm not inclined to say an RV is a bigger rollover risk because of its construction but rather the most prominent factor is likely a combination of lack of experience with large vehicles combined with lack of situational awareness. RV owners are exempt from all the qualifications required of professional drivers yet they are operating essentially the very same class of vehicle and all it takes to get behind the wheel of one is good credit or a lot of cash up front. So they hit the road, get comfy, set the cruise control and BAM! Statistically this happens more frequently with RVs because they're far more prevalent than skoolies. I've always been a little curious whether a school bus gutted and modified and converted into a skoolie is actually still as resilient as an unmodified school bus.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Were there any kids in that bus... The way that bus turned over would have them all smashed at the ceiling.. unless they had seat belts... Also that bus went pretty fast imho. Maybe the driver was certified, qualified is something else. Vehicles in those weight classes should not go over 55MPH another beautiful example of $$ against lives.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote