Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: International Harvester
Safe to remove interior walls?

Hey I'm Lauren and I want to pick your brains. So I've been removing rivets from the interior of my bus so that I can remove the metal side panels, but my dad is really concerned that this will lead to the bus becoming deformed. He thinks that the piece of metal is vital for the structure and is meant to keep the bus from bending. I'd love to hear thoughts from all the bright, intelligent and experienced people logged in.

kennythebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
It won't deform anything. The interior panels are best removed and scrapped or repurposed. They trap the moisture that naturally builds on the metal panels.

The structural element of the interior skins is so minimal, its insignificant. Out with em!!!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
It won't deform anything. The interior panels are best removed and scrapped or repurposed. They trap the moisture that naturally builds on the metal panels.

The structural element of the interior skins is so minimal, its insignificant. Out with em!!!!!
What he said.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I should have taken pics of the condensation I saw this morning in my bus. The walls and ceilings were literally sweating bullets.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
You need to go do some reading in the build thread section.

If you had, you would not have asked that question.

We have the answer to every question in the build thread section.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah sorry. I was reading them for a bit. I found a bunch on how to remove them, but not as much about if it was okay.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Do not remove the side panels, the bus gremlins live in there, do not awaken them, they will cause muck havoc! Seriously, no problem go ahead and pull them down, it will allow you to inspect for leaks and mold and add new insulation.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #9

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Do not remove the side panels, the bus gremlins live in there, do not awaken them, they will cause muck havoc!
This is true.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
There are varying opinions on this topic that have been tossed about in the past, so I might as well jump in and re-start this "lively" conversation.

Always fine to remove interior sheet metal, clean, re-insulate, whatever.
But...I was advised years ago by a retired Blue Bird engineer that it should go back in. The nature of the shell design on nearly all metal bodied buses relies on the box beam effect created by the two separate skins attached to the ribs inside & out. And no...this is not just for "roll over" protection...it was described to me as basic to the original design's structural integrity.

OK..I said it (again). Jump all over it. Or...ask a qualified structural engineer to compare the two design options.

I opted to keep both skins on my old 40' Bird and on the little Wayne I am working on now. Everyone here is also free to make whatever choice suits their fancy as well. I am not saying that my choice is the only "right" one, just passing on what I considered to be information worth considering from a reliable source. What I am proposing is that you try to get as much qualified info as possible to base your choices on. Especially as regards the fundamental structure.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:05 PM   #11

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
There are varying opinions on this topic that have been tossed about in the past, so I might as well jump in and re-start this "lively" conversation.

Always fine to remove interior sheet metal, clean, re-insulate, whatever.
But...I was advised years ago by a retired Blue Bird engineer that it should go back in. The nature of the shell design on nearly all metal bodied buses relies on the box beam effect created by the two separate skins attached to the ribs inside & out. And no...this is not just for "roll over" protection...it was described to me as basic to the original design's structural integrity.

OK..I said it (again). Jump all over it. Or...ask a qualified structural engineer to compare the two design options.

I opted to keep both skins on my old 40' Bird and on the little Wayne I am working on now. Everyone here is also free to make whatever choice suits their fancy as well. I am not saying that my choice is the only "right" one, just passing on what I considered to be information worth considering from a reliable source. What I am proposing is that you try to get as much qualified info as possible to base your choices on. Especially as regards the fundamental structure.
I agree with this...and the gremlins.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
Bus Geek

We have rolled full size 66 passenger buses down a hill with the excavator when cleaning up a spot for the crusher.

Two out of 5 had no interior panels. However, the two without didn't deform any more than the three that still had the interior panels.

A few dents, and none of the 5 where still square inside. That was the extent of the damage.

That's what I based my dissension on.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Alright so what it sounds like from what I've read here and on other sites is that the interior skins were designed to help reinforce the bus and make it stronger, but they aren't vital. A lot of people have removed the skins and experienced no problems as long as they make nice with the gremlins.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennythebus View Post
Alright so what it sounds like from what I've read here and on other sites is that the interior skins were designed to help reinforce the bus and make it stronger, but they aren't vital. A lot of people have removed the skins and experienced no problems as long as they make nice with the gremlins.
What would make you feel better- mold and funk hidden in your hot or cold (depending on the weather) metal interior walls, or .0000000000000001% less crash worthiness?
Sounds like you're playing it smart... asking questions FIRST! just weigh all your options and consider it all and then make an informed personal decision.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
We have rolled full size 66 passenger buses down a hill with the excavator when cleaning up a spot for the crusher.

Two out of 5 had no interior panels. However, the two without didn't deform any more than the three that still had the interior panels.

A few dents, and none of the 5 where still square inside. That was the extent of the damage.

That's what I based my dissension on.

Nat
Best job ever... I would pay for tickets to watch that!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I hate buses getting crushed. They crushed just over 100 when I first stared working for them.

It feels like a waste of good parts.

Nat

Old 08-25-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

So my dad is still upset about this. He said that the outside rivets will loosen more quickly without the interior skins. Did anyone experience that?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #18
Bus Geek

I drive down some crappy roads and haven't noticed and rivets loosening. They're totally unrelated.
Just speaking from my personal experience but skoolies and parental approval RARELY go hand in hand in any regard.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Show your dad this site.

Show him the input of all the people with Real bus experience. Not just a Opinion.

There are far to many of us here that have removed the interior skin with no negative effects.

Nat

Old 08-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennythebus View Post
So my dad is still upset about this. He said that the outside rivets will loosen more quickly without the interior skins. Did anyone experience that?
I love my father-in-law, and when I bought the bus we were working on it together a lot. But I quit working on it with him a while ago. He's got a lot of opinions and they're slowing me down. People on this forum have opinions too. Don't let them slow you down either.
austin1989us is offline   Reply With Quote