Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
ScanGauge

Anyone hook anything like this up to their skoolie?

ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor (Frustration Free) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX2NP4W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if it acts as a code reader. I wonder if it's even possible to hook it up to my bus (1998 international3800 dt466e) . I'm gonna check when I get a chance

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Anyone hook anything like this up to their skoolie?

ScanGauge SGDFFP J1939 & J1708 Vehicle Monitor (Frustration Free) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VX2NP4W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if it acts as a code reader. I wonder if it's even possible to hook it up to my bus (1998 international3800 dt466e) . I'm gonna check when I get a chance

It does read codes. Not sure how many of the codes are accessible without much more expensive gear but it should give you everything you can get from any other device plus it has some other awesome capabilities.
The link you posted is the exact same one I bought for my 96 AmTran (International) and it came with both of the styles of heavy duty vehicle connectors. As I had a ScanGauge on my Ford 7.3 PowerStroke I emailed the company and asked if I could just get an adapter. They said the OBDII for light vehicles wouldn't work with the heavy duty ones so I bought the one you linked and it works great to show codes as well as provide any number of gauge readouts, instantaneous MPG, avg MPG, RPM, road speed, and many many more.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:36 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-15-2021, 01:26 AM   #4
Bus Nut

I had one for my 2002 RE IH. I ended up velcroing it at the top of the dash because of everything it could display. Speed, temperatures, current HP, etc. Much more informative than the regular dash. It could clear codes and kept a history. Also had memory settings for MPG, etc. I loved it.
Currently I have the Blue Fire for my Blue Bird and it's nice also. You can customize dash settings on a tablet and make it take the place of your regular dash if you desire.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I like the scangauge OK but if I have a tablet available. . iPAD or android, then Id go bluefire in a heartbeat. Bluefire takes awhile to set up but you get a nice modern screen instead of a barely readable craptastic LCD. . the scangauge was ahead of its time 14 or 15 years ago when it came out.. but the thing is largely unchanged since then and is kind of boring.. I have one that ive had forever and used in many cars and its never broken its just boring
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojiewoojie View Post
I had one for my 2002 RE IH. I ended up velcroing it at the top of the dash because of everything it could display. Speed, temperatures, current HP, etc. Much more informative than the regular dash. It could clear codes and kept a history. Also had memory settings for MPG, etc. I loved it.
Currently I have the Blue Fire for my Blue Bird and it's nice also. You can customize dash settings on a tablet and make it take the place of your regular dash if you desire.
Would you say the Blue Fire has the capabilites of the ScanGauge plus more including the option to hook up toba tablet? The ScanGauge is incapable of that, right? Blue Fire can hook up to android?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I like the scangauge OK but if I have a tablet available. . iPAD or android, then Id go bluefire in a heartbeat. Bluefire takes awhile to set up but you get a nice modern screen instead of a barely readable craptastic LCD. . the scangauge was ahead of its time 14 or 15 years ago when it came out.. but the thing is largely unchanged since then and is kind of boring.. I have one that ive had forever and used in many cars and its never broken its just boring
So the ScanGauge can't hook up to a tablet at all?
Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
So the ScanGauge can't hook up to a tablet at all?

Nope. It plugs in and give 4 items of information at any given time. You can determine what you want displayed. It's just a basic alphanumeric display.
I have mine set to show RPM, SPEED, INSTANT MPG, AVG MPG
If there is an issue, you can select readings that will help you troubleshoot.
I just looked at the BlueFire and it looks pretty slick.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
There is not much difference in price between the two. In the past if you order directly from BlueFire you could use the discount code AMAZON to get 10% off.

If someone's dog were to eat the Bluefire then maybe he could sent it back and gets parts replaced. For a price of course.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:33 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are 2 models of bluefire.. on that supports apple iphones and iPADS and one that doesnt.. get the one for the tablet you will use.. you can use an adroid with the apple version but you cant use an ipad wit hthe non apple version..

also get the model for your dash connector.. 6 or 9 pin.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote