Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
School auction advice

Hello!
Im lurking around a couple of local school district auctions in the Houston area. I'm looking at the International Thomas buses and the International Bluebirds. As a veterinarian, I admit I know squat about buses with the exception of what I have learned researching this site. Does anyone have any advice about what to look for when going to a school bus auction?
Thanks!

HealthyPetsBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyPetsBus View Post
Hello!
Im lurking around a couple of local school district auctions in the Houston area. I'm looking at the International Thomas buses and the International Bluebirds. As a veterinarian, I admit I know squat about buses with the exception of what I have learned researching this site. Does anyone have any advice about what to look for when going to a school bus auction?
Thanks!

Just from someone with a lifetime of mechanical experience, here are my general suggestions:
1. Find a heavy truck/diesel mechanic and ask them to give you a short lesson on buses/truck chassis, motors, etc and what to inspect for. Offer to pay them for their time if needed, the small cost to learn the basics will save you much headache.
2. They should teach you what to inspect/look at on the bus/truck: tires and condition/date code, body condition/rust, chassis condition/rust, air bags/shock condition, fluid check (oil, steering, etc) and quick check of how it looks when you inspect it using the dip stick or whatever other means is available. Look for signs of leaks and fluid build up on the engine and components and under the bus.
3. Run (and drive) the bus if possible. Look at the exhaust and see if there is excessive smoke, color of the smoke, exhaust leaks, fluid leaks on engine and components, how the suspension and steering feel if you can drive it. How to the brakes feel, do they make noise or pull to one side when you apply them, etc. Does the transmission shift though all the gears smoothly.
4. Ask if they have the maintenance records for the bus. This will tell you allot about how it was taken care of and what components may be newer.
All I can think of for now, but should give you food for thought. Good luck.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
My $.02, if you are not a mechanically inclined person, stay away from auctions.

Pay someone to inspect what you are looking at and have them give it the ok.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Auctions are the epitome of Caveat Emptor--not only are all sales final but there are absolutely no comebacks.

Having said that, auctions can either be a place to get a real bargain or a place where you go stupid and lose your shirt and first born.

Spend the $$$ to have someone inspect the bus for you.

Buses that have recently come out of service that have a current safety inspection sticker are generally going to be better buses than the buses that have been sitting out behind the spare line gathering dust, the sort of bus you will find at the lower price end of most school bus dealer inventories.

Whatever you decide to do, make a decision as to what your maximum price is going to be plus one more bid. There is no sense in paying more than retail price for something at an auction. If it sells for more than what you want today there will be more available soon.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Auctions are the epitome of Caveat Emptor--not only are all sales final but there are absolutely no comebacks.

Having said that, auctions can either be a place to get a real bargain or a place where you go stupid and lose your shirt and first born.

Spend the $$$ to have someone inspect the bus for you.

Buses that have recently come out of service that have a current safety inspection sticker are generally going to be better buses than the buses that have been sitting out behind the spare line gathering dust, the sort of bus you will find at the lower price end of most school bus dealer inventories.

Whatever you decide to do, make a decision as to what your maximum price is going to be plus one more bid. There is no sense in paying more than retail price for something at an auction. If it sells for more than what you want today there will be more available soon.

Exactly! There are literally thousands and thousands of buses to choose from across the U.S. so find one that fits your needs and budget! Well said Cow!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all of the advice!
Ok here is a related question: because I do not have mechanical knowledge, I have also been looking at used bus lots. I have one that I'm very interested in. It is 1995 freight liner, 47 seater with working interior AC, approximately 75k miles. The guy selling is willing to do minor body work, paint, pull out all the seats, put in a new floor, and switch out the thin rear tires for better used tires for $18,900. They will also give me 1 year labor on problems.
Is this a good deal?
I'm going to be doing very minimum work on these buses. I want to pull out all the seats, put in a solid piece of vinyl flooring over the plywood floor, install a basement window A/C unit run by a generator for the mobile veterinary clinic. If I have time, I also want to beef up insulation.
With those things in mind, I have strongly considered buying a used International Thomas or Bluebird 466, 71 seater, no A/C, about 200,000 Miles because an inside guy told me these are more likely to have had an in frame overhaul, then painting the bus myself and ripping out the seats. I just have very very little time, so a bus I can literally start using when I pick it up is attractive. What do you guys think is a reasonable price is for a used yellow international as above?
Thanks
Virginia
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 AM   #7

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
I didn't know that Freightliner was building school buses in 1995. For $19k, it should include a 1 year unlimited use pass at the Mustang Ranch. At least that way you can have some fun too while getting screwed.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:41 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
For minimal work look to see if you can find a bookmobile at auction or at a dealer. They have no seats, and would only need minimal work to be converted.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Virginia,

You could buy three well maintained buses for that price! OUCH!!!! I agree with Scooter, wait for a bookmobile to come up. One was up for auction about three weeks ago. Also look at this bus as an example of what I'm talking about:

Public Surplus: Auction #1560681

Even though it hasn't been on the road for a while, it's still a good bus. Granted it's in California and needs work before coming home. However, as an example it's the type of bus I suspect you may be looking for.

Just tryin' to help,

M1031
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

OK I get that the Freightliner has a jacked up price. I'm not stupid, just new to this area. What do you think a reasonable price is for a bus like this with this work? Remember it has two working interior mounted AC units.
Also, what is a good price on an older International Thomas or Bluebird (1990 ish, 200k, 71 seater, NO interior AC)?
Be nice.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
I'd say for retail, between $4K to $6k. At least that's how I'd price it if I was the dealer. All depends upon condition, rust, how the engine runs, et.al.

Hope this helps.

M1031
Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #12
Bus Nut

If you are using it for a mobile veterinary clinic I assume you want plenty of headroom. For your purposes I agree with the others, a bookmobile would be your best starting point. Already has the open space you need and should have a/c, lighting and large generator already installed. If you're willing to spend $18k on the unconverted bus you should be able to find a nice used bookmobile for that price or less.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
OK I get that the Freightliner has a jacked up price. I'm not stupid, just new to this area. What do you think a reasonable price is for a bus like this with this work? Remember it has two working interior mounted AC units.
Also, what is a good price on an older International Thomas or Bluebird (1990 ish, 200k, 71 seater, NO interior AC)?
Be nice.
Just generic numbers here... but DON"T pay even half that.
My bus is older but runs like a top and is NICELY outfitted. Cost me $2150 out the door and a couple hundo to get it home.
Most of us don't want the coach ac system, so its more work to remove it. I specifically looked for a bus without factory ac.
I'd never spend more than four or five grand on a school bus to convert, but everyone has their take on that.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Be nice.
Around 2k at auction. My '03 IC 3000RE was won for 2500 on Fleabay.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
If it is in fact a '95, I'd go $7500 tops...then take off $3000 for being a Freightliner chassis. Mileage means nothing, how many hours is what you want to know?

Your latter question, $2500 tops, assuming its a conventional model.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

The F-liner bus is overpriced by about double!

Paint job=$5k.

Four new tires=$2K, four good used tires=$1K.

Remove seats and install new flooring=$2K.

21-year old bus with mechanical engine and transmission with low miles=$4K.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There seems to be a lot of us that recently purchased 1997 buses. Most of us purchased from the bus barn through Public Surplus. You can get in a bidding war with someone during the auctions. Set a reasonable price in your mind and try not to exceed that limit.
Most of us have paid between $2,000 and $3,000 for buses under 200,000 miles. For instance my bus was $2,600, and there are a good number of people that have paid similar prices.
If you're thinking of paying anywhere near $18,900 for a bus, why not get a bus that is already completed, like the Unfortunately she needs a new home thread where they are selling a gorgeous bus for $20,000. Everything you need is already there and it's better than a bookmobile. You can still make it yours.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Just from someone with a lifetime of mechanical experience, here are my general suggestions:
1. Find a heavy truck/diesel mechanic and ask them to give you a short lesson on buses/truck chassis, motors, etc and what to inspect for. Offer to pay them for their time if needed, the small cost to learn the basics will save you much headache.
2. They should teach you what to inspect/look at on the bus/truck: tires and condition/date code, body condition/rust, chassis condition/rust, air bags/shock condition, fluid check (oil, steering, etc) and quick check of how it looks when you inspect it using the dip stick or whatever other means is available. Look for signs of leaks and fluid build up on the engine and components and under the bus.
3. Run (and drive) the bus if possible. Look at the exhaust and see if there is excessive smoke, color of the smoke, exhaust leaks, fluid leaks on engine and components, how the suspension and steering feel if you can drive it. How to the brakes feel, do they make noise or pull to one side when you apply them, etc. Does the transmission shift though all the gears smoothly.
4. Ask if they have the maintenance records for the bus. This will tell you allot about how it was taken care of and what components may be newer.
All I can think of for now, but should give you food for thought. Good luck.
so I... I shouldn't have bought a bus blindly that doesn't have a transmission and needs tons of work? awh shucks

it's coming along pretty well right now and I'm having fun, albeit getting a little stressed ;)
jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
For $18K I'd buy 2 retired ambulances.....Gen set, inverter, ac, and lots of plugs!!!! Plus it's already set up for medical storage and easy cleanout........ (don't ask me how I know that!)

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Aren't most ambulances and other emergency vehicles already set up with AC power?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote