Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 04:25 PM   #1

School Bus to RV NY State Insurance Question

We are looking to purchase a bus that we will convert into an RV for this summers use. We are trying to find out how to get this insured as an RV in NY State for personal use. The insurance companies we have reached out too will not insure it. Anyone have any advice to give as to how we can get this insured in NY or who they have gone through?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

kruble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
During the build stage you will likely need a "commercial for personal use" policy. After the conversion is complete you can provide pics to DMV and your insurance to transfer it to an RV policy.
Most states require you have at least 4 of the following 6 items in the conversion. DMV will often take your word for completed conversion, your insurance won't. So if you get it registered as an RV, you'll have trouble insuring it for something it isn't.
(i) a cooking facility with an on-board fuel source;
(ii) a gas or electric refrigerator;
(iii) a toilet with exterior evacuation;
(iv) a heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel
source separate from the vehicle engine;
(v) a potable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet,
and a water tank with an exterior service supply connection; or
(vi) a 110-125 volt electric power supply.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #3

Yes thank you! I knew about the items that we have to have for the conversion but even just calling the insurance companies to advise that we are going to do that and what a quote would be, they are saying that they will not insure a school bus that has been converted to an rv. they will insure a school bus itself but not a school bus to rv even with the specific items installed. One insurance company said they would but the conversions had to be done by a professional company and not us doing it.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruble View Post
Yes thank you! I knew about the items that we have to have for the conversion but even just calling the insurance companies to advise that we are going to do that and what a quote would be, they are saying that they will not insure a school bus that has been converted to an rv. they will insure a school bus itself but not a school bus to rv even with the specific items installed. One insurance company said they would but the conversions had to be done by a professional company and not us doing it.
State Farm has been the easiest to deal with. Do a search here for "insuring your RV", there are tons of posts on the subject and connections to get insurance. Do the conversion and show the insurance company your RV registration. Don't mention the word bus.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #5

ok thank you for your help. I appreciate it!