Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2022, 05:08 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Schoolie for Snowbird hauling or trailer?

Love the forum read quite a bit.... I have been trying to read about my current use case/need but cant really find much. We are going to snowbird about 1,000 miles away from each other. We need to transport alot of belongings each way.

I was thinking of getting a bus I could haul all of our stuff with and then use it to camp a couple of times a year. The setup would need to be bare bonnes type given the need to haul but just wondering if anyone has any feedback on how to further understand if this is practical or not. Need to be able to safely go 72MPH cruise, tow a SUV. ITs going to sit for months at a time not being used. Would like to stay at campsites on the way down and up?

The alternative is having to buy a truck that can haul and buy a trailer OR just getting a pod each time but thats too easy

Looking forward to feedback

As far as budget I dont really have one but would prefer something basically ready to go. $20k? Reliable NON-DEF?

Mcangelo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
A truck and trailer will allow you to separate your belonging from the tow & repair shop if (when, really) the bus breaks down on a 1000 mile journey.

Each trip risks having to rent truck & trailer, unload into rental, then continue on the journey.

"High mileage", "Retired from service", "Sits months at a time". A Truck & Trailer seems much more spot on, to me. Drive the toad. Tow the belongings. Just one opinion.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
A truck and trailer will allow you to separate your belonging from the tow & repair shop if (when, really) the bus breaks down on a 1000 mile journey.

Each trip risks having to rent truck & trailer, unload into rental, then continue on the journey.

"High mileage", "Retired from service", "Sits months at a time". A Truck & Trailer seems much more spot on, to me. Drive the toad. Tow the belongings. Just one opinion.

Hey Demac totally agree. Just the pricing on a truck and trailer. Is 80K for something newish VS. bus. OR quite used for much less and then you have similar reliability issues? Also agree time is the enemy of it doesn't run around. I will say we would tow a vehicle so if bus breaks down we have another vehicle with us
Old 05-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Native, a member here, did just that. He and his wife moved from Texas to Florida and used a bus to do so. They converted it enough for their use, added ac and an inverter, and I'm not sure what their plans for the bus is/was after the move.

Back then, buses were cheap and at one time you could buy a used bus, that was well taken care of, for a few thousand. That was cheaper then buying an enclosed trailer, and it was cheaper then renting a U-haul for several weeks/trips. That's all if you had a truck to pull it. If you didn't, then buying the bus was way cheaper then buying a truck and a trailer.

Everything has changed since then. Buses are no longer cheap IMO, but trucks and trailers aren't either, so do your due diligence and price all the options out.

Look for something reliable, that is not in the rust belt, and is recently being placed out of service. Repairs will make or break your budget, so avoid things that are prone to it, like maxxforce engines or anything that uses DEF.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Native, a member here, did just that. He and his wife moved from Texas to Florida and used a bus to do so. They converted it enough for their use, added ac and an inverter, and I'm not sure what their plans for the bus is/was after the move.

Back then, buses were cheap and at one time you could buy a used bus, that was well taken care of, for a few thousand. That was cheaper then buying an enclosed trailer, and it was cheaper then renting a U-haul for several weeks/trips. That's all if you had a truck to pull it. If you didn't, then buying the bus was way cheaper then buying a truck and a trailer.

Everything has changed since then. Buses are no longer cheap IMO, but trucks and trailers aren't either, so do your due diligence and price all the options out.

Look for something reliable, that is not in the rust belt, and is recently being placed out of service. Repairs will make or break your budget, so avoid things that are prone to it, like maxxforce engines or anything that uses DEF.
Thanks for the comment sent you a PM
Nothing is cheap today
Honestly I don't want "cheap" I really want the safest reliable ride for the $. This we can use for camping and hauling back and forth. Still reading through all the forums it gets confusing. Hoping to find something that is already minimalist converted and suits our needs for highways.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Bumping this one backup as my newer post isn't going through for some reason. I'm looking at the mini buses. Some are duallys. Some are SWR. Can the dually's tow a loaded trailer? How can I learn more about the weight etc on these buses and the potential they have for towing let's say a smaller travel trailer, flat tow SUV or a bigger enclosed trailer with goods?

I want to make a simple conversion bus with nice seats and not all the bells and whistles of perm bed, fridge, stove. I'm looking for more of a conversion van style bus that can haul toys/trailers safely.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
How much do you need to haul? Would a utility van work? A decent used van might cost more than a bus but if lower in milage would likely be more reliable and cheaper to maintain. You could load up both the van and the SUV and convoy between locations. The van could be set up removable camping furnishings.

Ted
TJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
How much do you need to haul? Would a utility van work? A decent used van might cost more than a bus but if lower in milage would likely be more reliable and cheaper to maintain. You could load up both the van and the SUV and convoy between locations. The van could be set up removable camping furnishings.

Ted
Well that's what I'm here trying to figure out. When you say van you mean like a sprinter/transit? Vs. an older shuttle/bus450?

I was originally buying a Ford transit but they are unibody and can't haul for ****. The sprinter has one that can crew decent tow but again unibody and at this point a small fortune. I was thinking of then just converting a bus to like a conversion van that can haul a smaller utility trailer / 24 foot boat / 24 foot camper? Or are the minis/shuttles basically almost maxed out with the GCVWR combo and I need to look at a real bigger bus frame not built on cutaway for what I am looking to do?
Old 07-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcangelo4 View Post
Well that's what I'm here trying to figure out. When you say van you mean like a sprinter/transit? Vs. an older shuttle/bus450?

I was originally buying a Ford transit but they are unibody and can't haul for ****. The sprinter has one that can crew decent tow but again unibody and at this point a small fortune. I was thinking of then just converting a bus to like a conversion van that can haul a smaller utility trailer / 24 foot boat / 24 foot camper? Or are the minis/shuttles basically almost maxed out with the GCVWR combo and I need to look at a real bigger bus frame not built on cutaway for what I am looking to do?
I don't think a mini / shuttle is going to have the power to pull anything substantial. If going for a bus you would want a shorter bus with a bigger engine. A full size bus isn't going to have alot of power left over to pull anything heavy plus it would be really long if pulling something 24 ft long.

Ted
TJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Ted
Thanks for this. I just like toys so have been drawn to converting a small bus into a conversion long range traveling mobile. Answer might be to get 2 buses. 1 for local hobby stuff and another for the long range towing lol.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I don't think a mini / shuttle is going to have the power to pull anything substantial. If going for a bus you would want a shorter bus with a bigger engine. A full size bus isn't going to have alot of power left over to pull anything heavy plus it would be really long if pulling something 24 ft long.

Ted
Agree Ted. I'm having a hell of a time getting something. Was hoping to be in one by now and getting my hands dirty but want to be smart about the platform. Any help would be great. At this point I think just getting something smaller that can be out all around vehicle would be great and ditch the towing?
Old 07-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i have an 04 chevy 3500 DRW 5 window with the 6.0 gasser in it and have been through the motor as much as i can without pulling it and am doing the external upgrades for a little more and tranny as well with extra cooler and plan on towing a trailer with a 5000 lb car on it and picking the right trailer with the axles in the right spot to shoulder the weight and not the tongue and being hard to find is a trailer with double brake axles unless i build my trailer are have to buy a brand new one and change the second axle out for double brake axles.
but definitely the right trailer to shoulder the weight and the tow vehicle only has to pull or push.
an opinion
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote