Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83
Screws for floor

Just wondering what people are using to fasten the plywood to the bus floor. I hear a lot about the "tek screws" Are they the flat philips head type? I picked up some lousy #6 self tapping screws from Lowe's. 500 count for $15.00. Needless to say they are too thin and I need to pre-drill every hole.

I saw a type of #10 self tapping screw that had some sort of "wings" at the bottom of the threads. Maybe to widen the hole in the wood so the screw does not bind up? Is that what everybody is using? Would I need to pre-drill the holes if I go with #10 screws?

Thanks
Dan

BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66
Re: Screws for floor

I used tek screws, but ended up pre drilling all the floor screws anyways. Just made it much easier and quicker. But I had two drills going at the same time, so I would pre drill on sheet of ply, then go behind and screw that sheet. Then I would move on to the next. Others here have been able to just drill them in, but on the thicker floor steel of my bus it just ate through my drills battery to do that.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Ok. Thats what I thought. I will be heading back to Lowe's to swap them out!! Thanks!!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I have furring strips under my plywood, but I used liquid nails to attach both those to the metal floor and the plywood to them. I used tek screws to hold everything in place while the glue set and recommend them for any application going into sheet metal, but the construction adhesive is doing the lion's share of the work and it keeps everything feeling really solid. I pre-drilled all my holes, but that was just to keep production times higher. I had a corded drill and one cordless. Making the cordless self drill all the holes would have run the battery down too quick and a single speed corded drill is a pain for driving screws.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Here is some pictures of the different ones.
Attached Thumbnails
005.JPG   005.JPG   tek screws.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

The top ones are self drilling and self tapping. I used ones similar to these for my subfloor. They sell them at Home Depot and Lowes in 2 lengths 1 5/16 and dont remember the other. Its been awhile but think they are coated like deck screws so they wont rust. They worked great, way faster and a whole less aggravating then predrilling.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

They are for wood to metal fastening. I believe the little ears widen the hole a little and then break off.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Yeah, my buddy said he thinks the ears are for widening the hole in the wood so the screw does not bind up before it gets to the steel. I think I will go with them.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
Skoolie

Those ones with the ears are what I started with. They hold better than anything that I have tried, but I still had a really hard time getting them in without predrilling. I think my floor may be thicker than you guys that arent pre drilling. haha.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeforthelight
but I still had a really hard time getting them in without predrilling.
As the great TIm the Tool Man Taylor says "it just needs more POWER!!"
I wonder if an air screw driver would work better than an electric one.
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: C60
Engine: Chevy 7.4l 454 FI
Rated Cap: 59

These are what I used to screw down my deck boards on my trailer. they went into the 3/16 thick angle crossmembers fairly easy using my dewalt 18 volt drill. the wings make the wood hole slightly bigger then break off at the metal so the threaded portion wont screw into the wood and try to lift your lumber back up when the screw hits the metal and begins drilling.
ramairws601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltydog24
As the great TIm the Tool Man Taylor says "it just needs more POWER!!"
I wonder if an air screw driver would work better than an electric one.
I have both a dewalt 18v and an air drill. both of em will put the screws in, but using them in tandem (one with a pre drill, on to screw in) was the quickest. they both will send the screws in, but with no pre drilling, it took longer. wasnt a quick process. maybe thats just me. i do think if you have a compressor that an air drill is a beautiful thing to have though. has been invaluable to me during the conversion. always have a ton of power even at the end of the day when the cordless batteries are all dead.