Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Skoolie

Searching for VIN# location on skoolies?

I've tried using the search feature, but nothing comes up that says where on the buses, the VIN# is located. What do I need to enter to find past threads about it, or where is your VIN number located?

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
mine is visible in the front windshield from outside, at the bottom , in front of the driver.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on both of my International-chassis conventional busses the VIN is located above the driver window on a tag and also under the hood on the driver-side firewall just to the outside of the steering shaft.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
on both of my International-chassis conventional busses the VIN is located above the driver window on a tag and also under the hood on the driver-side firewall just to the outside of the steering shaft.

-Christopher
I think his is a practice bus. Should be on the dash.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

It all sort of depends upon what type of bus you have and how old it is.

Most Type 'C' and 'D' buses built in the last 20-years will have a data plate somewhere on the front header panel of the bus. It will have all the pertinent data you need including the VIN. IIRC, with IC buses it is above the driver's head either on the panel above the driver's window or on the front header panel above the driver. Thomas and Blue Bird put their data plates on the front header panel above the curb side windshield.

All Type 'A' buses will have a VIN plate on the driver's door post. It may have a tag on the dash just below the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side like most cars and light trucks. That number will match the number on the VIN plate or data plate. On the door post there will be one tag that will identify the incompleted chassis info as well as the completed chassis info.

Type 'B' buses may or may not have a VIN plate on the dashboard on the driver's side towards the bottom of the windshield. It should have a data plate somewhere on the front header panel. It too might have one data plate identifying the incomplete chassis and a second one identifying the completed bus.

If you have a bus built before 1990 it becomes a little more difficult, particularly if the bus has an OEM vendor supplied chassis or if it was built on an incompleted chassis. VIN and data plates can be found in all sorts of interesting places, most of which requires a lot of contortions in order to read the info.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
It all sort of depends upon what type of bus you have and how old it is.

Most Type 'C' and 'D' buses built in the last 20-years will have a data plate somewhere on the front header panel of the bus. It will have all the pertinent data you need including the VIN. IIRC, with IC buses it is above the driver's head either on the panel above the driver's window or on the front header panel above the driver. Thomas and Blue Bird put their data plates on the front header panel above the curb side windshield.

All Type 'A' buses will have a VIN plate on the driver's door post. It may have a tag on the dash just below the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side like most cars and light trucks. That number will match the number on the VIN plate or data plate. On the door post there will be one tag that will identify the incompleted chassis info as well as the completed chassis info.

Type 'B' buses may or may not have a VIN plate on the dashboard on the driver's side towards the bottom of the windshield. It should have a data plate somewhere on the front header panel. It too might have one data plate identifying the incomplete chassis and a second one identifying the completed bus.

If you have a bus built before 1990 it becomes a little more difficult, particularly if the bus has an OEM vendor supplied chassis or if it was built on an incompleted chassis. VIN and data plates can be found in all sorts of interesting places, most of which requires a lot of contortions in order to read the info.
Thanks for that info.
The main reason I am asking, is because if one did not wish to do a roof raise, but instead do a roof removal and install a new roof, or, if one were adventurous enough, do a partial body removal and install a new body behind a certain point, then it would be important to keep the VIN# intact. I know the plate type VINs can be re-rivited, but if my state or insurance were to get fussy, they could use that as a tool to keep money from me, or get more money from me.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Thanks for that info.
The main reason I am asking, is because if one did not wish to do a roof raise, but instead do a roof removal and install a new roof, or, if one were adventurous enough, do a partial body removal and install a new body behind a certain point, then it would be important to keep the VIN# intact. I know the plate type VINs can be re-rivited, but if my state or insurance were to get fussy, they could use that as a tool to keep money from me, or get more money from me.

if you are going conventional bus.. bith my internationals have the VIN plate on the chassis itself.. under the hood on the firewall.. this is the VIN plate I used for the DMV when I got them registered in Ohio..

otehrs have mentioned where they may be on flat nose busses.. but I can say that on both mine the VIN on the chassis was the same VIN on the tag abve the driver window..

on my bluebird the tag above the passenger windshield was not a VIN but only a bluebird Body service number..
bluebird asks for it when i call them to look up parts..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
My Thomas has the data plate on the front cap over the driver's head. I haven't found a VIN anywhere else but I haven't looked for one either since that one is readily available.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've never found anything on my bus that had the vin other than a deteriorating sticker above the windshield. Thank goodness my notary wasn't a stickler when verifying the vin!
Was thinking of making a vin plate to put where they're supposed to go so LEO's won't have to tear my bus apart looking for one should the "need" arise.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Might be worth locating a plate in another location then, so if the need does arise you can tell the LEO the plate is "on the frame right near the engine block" or wherever it happens to be on your particular bus.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #11

I have a 1997 Bluebird bus that I bought converted from an owner who had a Florida Title. In New Mexico they need to see two Vin numbers there are no vin numbers inside only on the chassis under the hood. Does anyone know if there would be a Vin underneath the bus or in any other place? The police dept has to inspect now because MVD could not find second Vin. The police officer I talked to said if they couldn’t find a second vin they would impound my vehicle.
linderkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Did you look through the lower left corner of the windshield?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Did you look through the lower left corner of the windshield?
Not there on an International flat nose. Only on the header.