Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2020, 05:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Seat Rail Dealies

Hi, Everyone! Do any of you have expert with these seat rails that bolt seats down? I can’t get them up; the bolts just spin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6621.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	50554

sampatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
An angle grinder is your friend here. Cut the bolt heads off and punch the rest on through the hole. What kind of bus is this? I have not seen these kind of seat mounts before.
Shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamoke View Post
An angle grinder is your friend here. Cut the bolt heads off and punch the rest on through the hole. What kind of bus is this? I have not seen these kind of seat mounts before.

It’s an International CE200. It was a handicapped bus.

The bolts are down deep in the groove. I guess we’ll be prying up it up bit by bit and grinding away. I don’t know yet how deep they are, if they’re through to the metal or just in the wood.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampatch View Post
It’s an International CE200. It was a handicapped bus.

The bolts are down deep in the groove. I guess we’ll be prying up it up bit by bit and grinding away. I don’t know yet how deep they are, if they’re through to the metal or just in the wood.
It seems a good way of getting these tracks up is to get a hole saw that just fits in the circular opening around the bolt head and cut down through the track. You can then pry the track up easily and deal with the remaining bolt heads separately, without the track in the way. I saw a video of this a while back but haven't been able to find it again.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, great idea! Thanks so much!
Old 10-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I removed 40 feet of this stuff.

Got an angle grinder? Use a metal cutting blade and have really good eye protection like the glasses with the foam gasket or a full face mask is better.

The easiest is to cut the bolts from underneath if you can. If not cut down through the top of the bolt, angling the blade side to side. It will cut through it. About 4 minutes per bolt
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
If it is a handicap bus and you have a second or raised floor, that top floor may have been pre-assembled and then installed over the lower floor, which will not give you access to the nuts underneath. My Girardin was built this way, so I am leaving my tracks in place and using 1/4 luan to match the height of the tracks, then cover with insulation.

Clyn
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
If it is a handicap bus and you have a second or raised floor, that top floor may have been pre-assembled and then installed over the lower floor, which will not give you access to the nuts underneath. My Girardin was built this way, so I am leaving my tracks in place and using 1/4 luan to match the height of the tracks, then cover with insulation.

Clyn
I considered doing it that way, but then I started cutting and I wasn’t gonna let it beat me!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 30
I used on angle grinder on its side, ground down until I saw the circle of the bolt, then punched it through the floor with a punch pin and a hammer. It took about an hour per rail for me. I had 8 rails with 13 bolts per.
witchywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I considered doing it that way, but then I started cutting and I wasn’t gonna let it beat me!

In the interest of time and my wrist...unless I can find someone to grind them out, I am just going to keep them.

Clyn
Old 10-31-2020, 12:24 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
In the interest of time and my wrist...unless I can find someone to grind them out, I am just going to keep them.

Clyn
Oh yeah. I was commenting in jest because those things are buggers to remove! Since I had 40 feet of that stuff to remove, if I hadn’t burned through a dozen drill bits and a pack of cutting disks before thinking of shimming, I would have given in to my stubbornness and done just that.

I hated grinding them out so much that I procrastinated until I absolutely had to do it.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Oh yeah. I was commenting in jest because those things are buggers to remove! Since I had 40 feet of that stuff to remove, if I hadn’t burned through a dozen drill bits and a pack of cutting disks before thinking of shimming, I would have given in to my stubbornness and done just that.

I hated grinding them out so much that I procrastinated until I absolutely had to do it.

Lol! I got the gist. I am a stobborn woman...but have learned to be selective when picking my battles
Old 11-01-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Have y’all found that all the hex-head bolts go through the bus floor? Or just the ends? I haven’t had a chance to try yet, but it doesn’t look like there’s nearly enough bolts through underneath for every one of them to be through.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Have y’all found that all the hex-head bolts go through the bus floor? Or just the ends? I haven’t had a chance to try yet, but it doesn’t look like there’s nearly enough bolts through underneath for every one of them to be through.
All mine did. I just couldn’t get to them all underneath
Old 11-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Quote:
Yes, They are mostly through-bolted. One person can hold a wrench underneath and one can turn the bolt on top. As Vineyardseashell said, some are not accessible in some areas or under some busses and grinding will be needed. I used an adapter with a hex wrench head into my impact driver.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote