Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Seats for Passengers

I want to have some seats at the front of the bus for passengers to ride comfortably and safely while we are going down the road. I think these Honda Odyssey seats will fit the bill. They have integral seatbelts and shoulder harnesses too, which will be a big advantage. I think these were available from 2016 on. I have seen them is wrecking yards for about $400 apiece.

I am also thinking about trying to fit one of these seats to an air ride base for use as a driver seat. Of course, you would have to be able to make them go to a fully upright position, because you sure don't want to be reclining while you're driving.

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I'm doing something similiar. I got a nice Mack semi air ride seat that is MUCH nicer than my current one (and I got it for FREE too!!).

My current plan is to swap out the entire assembly and then use the air ride base from the original seat and put a nicer seat on top.

The 2005-2010 front seats from the Ford F150 extended cabs are really popular on the skoolie facebook groups because of the integrated seat belt.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
I want to have some seats at the front of the bus for passengers to ride comfortably and safely while we are going down the road. I think these Honda Odyssey seats will fit the bill. They have integral seatbelts and shoulder harnesses too, which will be a big advantage. I think these were available from 2016 on. I have seen them is wrecking yards for about $400 apiece.

I am also thinking about trying to fit one of these seats to an air ride base for use as a driver seat.

Dad-Gum that looks comfortable!! I can see naptime comin often in a seat like that! Definitely going on my want list.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I'm doing something similiar. I got a nice Mack semi air ride seat that is MUCH nicer than my current one (and I got it for FREE too!!).

My current plan is to swap out the entire assembly and then use the air ride base from the original seat and put a nicer seat on top.

The 2005-2010 front seats from the Ford F150 extended cabs are really popular on the skoolie facebook groups because of the integrated seat belt.
Good to hear from a fellow Wisconsinite! I will definitely look into the Ford F150 seats.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Didn't your bus come with decent seats? Do you still have any?

I like your idea and was thinking of a similar concept. Except I don't have a bus yet. Or any money. But as soon as I have both I will follow up to see how your project turns out!!

P.S. Packers suck!!
MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
P.S. Packers suck!!
Wow, said with true Viking tenacity....
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Lol, I actually don't care about sports at all. It would be fun to see the Vikings win, but only because it just never seems to happen. If I watch any game it's when the Saints play Vikings because I am originally from Louisiana and now live in MN. Mostly it's just fun to give Packers fans crap because we both know their team is almost always better than MN!!
MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbusboy View Post
Lol, I actually don't care about sports at all. It would be fun to see the Vikings win, but only because it just never seems to happen. If I watch any game it's when the Saints play Vikings because I am originally from Louisiana and now live in MN. Mostly it's just fun to give Packers fans crap because we both know their team is almost always better than MN!!
I spent 20 years in Northeast Wi growing up. All of my brothers and their kids are Packer-Backers. None of them can understand why I couldn't give two hoots about sports and would rather have my head stuck in an engine bay. The only reason I knew Mn was the Vikings is because I have a rather large cousin who lives in Green Bay and wears his gigantic purple jersey to every Packer game he goes to.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I am/was a Vikings fan from back in the Tarkington-Swan era. All the teams back then seemed to have guts! I still root for the Vikings ... but do not follow them or any other team any more.

Bonus for those Odessey seats is that (I beieve) they fold up and you can set up the right hardware to allow them to be removed. That would be a bonus for a skoolie.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post

...Bonus for those Odessey seats is that (I beieve) they fold up and you can set up the right hardware to allow them to be removed. That would be a bonus for a skoolie.
I have been confusing these seats with the Toyota Sienna seats. I saw a YouTube video about the Toyota seats being installed in a bus. I just stumbled over these Odyssey seats today by chance. The Kia Sedona also has similar seats

Here is a link to the video on the Toyota seats.