Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Second Fresh Water Tank on Roof

I had the idea of adding a second fresh water tank to the roof of the bus which would only be tied into the Hot Water on the shower. My thought is that in the warmer months, the sun would warm the water to a high enough level to where it would be satisfactory for the shower without the need to use the hot water heater. For the cooler months, I would have a way to switch the hot water back to the main fresh water tank in which case it would run through the propane powered hot water heater.

My only thought is that I should use a clear tank for the roof to prevent any kind of mold to grow (seems like a clear tank would reduce any chance of that happening). I would need a second pump of course. I can get a 20-gallon tank that is only 4 inches high, so I don't think it would add a whole lot of wind resistance. And I'm probably looking at about 250 pounds of weight. And this would only be for the shower - not for any type of internal consumption.

Is there anything I missing with this idea?

cofrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofrari View Post
I had the idea of adding a second fresh water tank to the roof of the bus which would only be tied into the Hot Water on the shower. My thought is that in the warmer months, the sun would warm the water to a high enough level to where it would be satisfactory for the shower without the need to use the hot water heater. For the cooler months, I would have a way to switch the hot water back to the main fresh water tank in which case it would run through the propane powered hot water heater.

My only thought is that I should use a clear tank for the roof to prevent any kind of mold to grow (seems like a clear tank would reduce any chance of that happening). I would need a second pump of course. I can get a 20-gallon tank that is only 4 inches high, so I don't think it would add a whole lot of wind resistance. And I'm probably looking at about 250 pounds of weight. And this would only be for the shower - not for any type of internal consumption.

Is there anything I missing with this idea?
Probably won't add materially to the roll of the bus, if you're only talking that kind of weight; and I doubt you'd hear the water slop around up there (where it will be knocked about more than tanks closer to the ground).

I don't know if you want to have unprotected clear plastic up there-somewhat at risk of damage I would think.

As an alternative I've seen youtube videos of folks using 4" diameter ABS (black plastic) pipe in a loop. You'd only need three sticks (30') to get the same volume. It's pretty cheap, very durable and heats up via solar.

Check those videos out for some ideas.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
They do this on ragbrai buses as a water heater..
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Use a black tank to prevent growth in the water.