Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Send a message via AIM to rabiznick
Security for you wardrivers

You might want to check this out if your at all worried about security while using a wireless connection. I plan to be picking this up shortly as I now need to access internet on the road while working. Heard good reviews about the service.

rabiznick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

DOH!

Sorry, forgot the link http://www.hotspotvpn.com/
Old 02-05-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

comment

After posting this, I thought about how I worded that original post. I probably should not have used the term "wardriver" here as this has come to bring about a negative connotation. I really had no intention of suggesting that any of you folks were involved in such an activity!
I sometimes tend to write before I think. Hope I didn't offend anyone in the process. There are several good VPN's out there. My intention was simply to suggest that you look into using one if use ANY wifi access.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

http://www.wififreespot.com lists all the free places you can get a wireless connection.

What rabiznick is describing is a "Virtual Private Network". VPN's are normally used by people connecting to their business remotely over the internet. Basically, a tunnel is created between your PC and the network at your business, and all data going back and forth is encrypted.

It is interesting, and would be beneficial to use a VPN when connecting to a hotspot. However, it would only protect the traffic going back and forth over the network. It would not protect any shares on your PC, or prevent other people on the same network attempting to access your PC.

I am a great proponent of free wireless hotspots, and use them often.

HTH
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote