Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Security system/driving cameras

I've been doing a lot of research on cameras. I would like to put cameras looking forward (dashcam), backward (backup camera), both sides facing backward where I can see my lanes and anything in them to help with driving, and a hitch (license plate) camera to help me hookup whatever I'm towing.

But I would also like to record everything for security issues. Now I've seen plenty of systems that work for part of this, but I want to use my own computer and monitor setup. So the easiest cameras to use would be digital IP addressed cameras. Almost everything I can find that is purpose built for this is the older RCA cctv style.

So a couple of questions:

1.) Has anyone used the USB analog to digital converters that would allow me to hookup the cctv style cameras directly to the computer? Do they work? Most amazon reviews show 3 stars at best.

2.) Has anyone found a good brand of IP camera that works well for the different needs outlined above? I could use the relatively cheap security dome style cameras for the front and back, but the license plate and side cameras might need to be a different style?

3.) I'm a maintenance electrician by trade, but went to college for computer programming and worked a few years as a computer consultant. So really lik e the IP addressed cameras, and the fact that you can use microSD cards in the cameras themselves to save on storage in your main computer. The analog cameras just seem an older technology, but I may be wrong. If you really like the older style and have a good system using them let me know.

neversayneverbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
One thing to keep in mind with IP cameras is the latency. For security cameras they are great. I have installed Ubiquiti and Hikvision IP cameras and DVR's with good success for security purposes. But there is a brief delay between the camera and display. I would stick with analog cameras for backup and traffic observation.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
To be clear, you want live viewing and always recording capabilities? I'm thinking a home or small biz style 4-or-8 camera setup may actually work for this. In my house I installed a Swann DVR system with weatherproof cameras and it interfaces with a computer and/or can operate standalone while still offering remote viewing and self-upload event videos to the web. If the video feeds can be split to small monitors for viewing from the driver's seat you should have the best of both worlds.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
One thing to keep in mind with IP cameras is the latency. For security cameras they are great. I have installed Ubiquiti and Hikvision IP cameras and DVR's with good success for security purposes. But there is a brief delay between the camera and display. I would stick with analog cameras for backup and traffic observation.
I didn't realize there was a brief delay. This is the good information I was looking for. There are plenty of good analog setups out there that come with their own approximately 7" monitor and can support back, front, and side cameras, but I don't think they record 24/7 for security purposes. I don't want to have to buy twice. I'm going to do some research on how long the delay is to see if I can still use the IP cameras.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayneverbus View Post
I didn't realize there was a brief delay. This is the good information I was looking for. There are plenty of good analog setups out there that come with their own approximately 7" monitor and can support back, front, and side cameras, but I don't think they record 24/7 for security purposes. I don't want to have to buy twice. I'm going to do some research on how long the delay is to see if I can still use the IP cameras.

Thanks for the info.
Hikvision makes analog multi channel recording units.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
To be clear, you want live viewing and always recording capabilities? I'm thinking a home or small biz style 4-or-8 camera setup may actually work for this. In my house I installed a Swann DVR system with weatherproof cameras and it interfaces with a computer and/or can operate standalone while still offering remote viewing and self-upload event videos to the web. If the video feeds can be split to small monitors for viewing from the driver's seat you should have the best of both worlds.
Correct, live viewing and always recording. IP cameras excel at this and the viewing screen can be customized with a simple webpage playing the feeds or a windows .net app, so if I had my own touchscreen monitor I could just touch the screen to select the feed I wanted at any time, or have a default where I could use the ones I want for driving. Each individual camera puts out its own feed. On analog you would have to plug them into a DVR system. Internally it handles each video feed, but I'm not sure you can get the DVR to put multiple camera feeds on the "network" which in this case would just be the local lan.

I'm wanting to have a centralized computer to run almost everything. Keep track of the temperatures, water levels in my tanks, etc... Anything and everything that has sensors can be piped into the network and ran from my computer.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversayneverbus View Post
Correct, live viewing and always recording. IP cameras excel at this and the viewing screen can be customized with a simple webpage playing the feeds or a windows .net app, so if I had my own touchscreen monitor I could just touch the screen to select the feed I wanted at any time, or have a default where I could use the ones I want for driving. Each individual camera puts out its own feed. On analog you would have to plug them into a DVR system. Internally it handles each video feed, but I'm not sure you can get the DVR to put multiple camera feeds on the "network" which in this case would just be the local lan.

I'm wanting to have a centralized computer to run almost everything. Keep track of the temperatures, water levels in my tanks, etc... Anything and everything that has sensors can be piped into the network and ran from my computer.
Hikvision also makes hybrid DVR's that will support both analog and digital cameras and allow network viewing. I have not tried the hybrid out and cannot speak to how performs regarding latency.

You REALLY do not want to rely on cameras for backup and traffic observation that show you what conditions existed a second before.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Agreed. I've been researching it, and there are lots of reasons for the latency, but I think that is why the systems out there are packaged units, complete with their own screens. It keeps the latency to near zero. I would hate to have a camera feed freeze or be a few seconds behind.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: International Amtran
Engine: DT530E
Rated Cap: 84
I work for a local delivery company and we use bluetooth cameras on our trailers with no latency, ill have to find one of the boxes to get you the brand. Theres a box van that showed up to our shop that has exactly what your asking for ( side views, rear view, front dash) it's locked up now I'll see if i can peek into it before i get off.
Eclipse436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #10

Year: TBD
Coachwork: TBD
Chassis: TBD
Engine: TBD
Rated Cap: TBD
I'm all in on this type of system as well. At least for the rear view and side view aspects. I have been thinking about having the monitors mounted in such a fashion as provide a "HUD" type of thing across the upper part of the windshield.
mbnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah I would be interested to know what they are using. I've been researching how to lower any latency in the IP cameras and found quite a bit of information. Such as limiting the number of streams the camera produces. Using only the native sized resolution of the camera. That limits camera processing time. Using a high quality router along with keeping the cameras on their own section of the network. Processing power and video card of the controlling computer being higher end reduces visual rendering time.

I think this system is doable with the right knowledge.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse436 View Post
I work for a local delivery company and we use bluetooth cameras on our trailers with no latency, ill have to find one of the boxes to get you the brand. Theres a box van that showed up to our shop that has exactly what your asking for ( side views, rear view, front dash) it's locked up now I'll see if i can peek into it before i get off.
any updates on this eclipse? I'm curious what a company feels is a good option.

thanks
sepudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #13

Year: 1992
Engine: 5.9L Diesel Cummins inline-6
Okay, I'm very sorry to grave dig but I've been researching this for a few weeks and this thread has been most helpful.

I know I want a DVR or NVR to record (or a way to at least record the last 24-36 hours) and the ability to view the footage from another network. I would also prefer 12v, for the low power consumption; however, feel that the PoE options may be most obvious? Lastly, I'm planning on installing a Tesla-styled tablet near the front area and intend on displaying the footage live while driving -- like how NeverSayNeverBus had mentioned. Not sure if this would require PoE.

Here is the option I had previously considered, but appears it's Chinese junk and doesn't really offer what I would like. Any other options?

JOINLGO 4 Channel GPS 4G WiFi 1080P AHD Mobile Vehicle Car DVR MDVR Video Recorder Kit Real-time Monitor on PC Phone with 4 Metal Side Front Rear View IP69 Backup Car Cameras for Truck RV Bus Van
HillmanKT is offline   Reply With Quote