Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: International Loadstar
Rated Cap: 60
Sheet metal over windows...

Anyone have details pictures of covering window openings?

Basically my main question is how did you seal them? Did you use screws, rivets, or welding?

Thanks.

staggerlee917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Sheet metal over windows...

I don't really have any detailed pics, but got a couple of pics... I can only speak for myself, I left most of the existing windows & glass in place, closed them is about all I did. Then covered them with metal, used pop-rivets at first, then switched over to TEK screws to speed up the operation. Didn't really seal them, wanted any moisture or condensation that might form on the inside to have a way to weep/seep out.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I have posted information of how I did the sheet metal on my bus here.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

It's funny that this topic was posted today. I called two heating/sheet metal places today to find out prices steel sheet to cover some of my windows. The first place only handles 10ft sheets. So I asked for a price on a 10ft x 29in piece in 22guage. Price was $30. I thought that was cheap. They gave me a number to another place that had rolls. They told me $43 for 12ft x 29in in 24 guage. I could do one more window with a 12 foot piece. Now, my question for Abbott is why did you chose 20 guage. Is 22 or 24 guage to thin?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Yeah, I liked the heavier 20 gauge sheets.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #6

Does it make a difference in sound or is it just prefernce?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #7

Chuck, is that what you used instead of sheet metal or that on the inside? The price of the different guages is not that much. I just want to fit under the roof before I rivet, but I don't want to get more than I need. Since other people have gone through this, why reinvent the wheel.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #8

The price from the first place was cutting down a 4x10 sheet and I would be paying for the waste. Second place has rolls 36" and 60" wide. It is cheaper for them to cut two from the 60" roll. If someone wanted a one piece skin, I guess that would be the way to go. Prices are 10-15 bucks up or down. Not a deal breaker. I just have a bad habit of going overkill when I do something and don't want to get metal thicker than I need.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #9

Galvanized. My friend told me there is special primer for galvanized metal. I will probably go with the stuff from the rolls after I figure out the thickness.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #10
Bus Nut

There is a special primer (metal prep) for galvy or you can wipe it down with vinegar or 50/50 water muriatic acid.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Does it make a difference in sound or is it just prefernce?
It will rattle if not fastened well enough. I took my bus down a couple of dirt roads after I had the skin on, found the rattles and added a few more braces and fasteners. This caused me a couple of wrinkles but sure quieted the ride. Now with walls and insulation all I hear is the engine noise which I will try to quiet with some type of sound barrier carpeting when I get that far. Keep in mind with my roof raise I cut my sheets to 44" in width and I liked the 20-gauge for my application. If I built another bus I would use it again, I am very pleased with the it's performance.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Actually vinegar is an organic acid and it works by reacting with the galvanization. I have wiped down galvanized metal with white vinegar and painted it in construction applications with no problems. There is also a metal prep. (primer) for galv. that woks well, any paint store should carry it. Metal primer would likely be a good way to go to offer a better surface for a finish coat of paint to adhere to on the sides of a bus. I have used a thin watery primer that goes on blue-ish that works well. Kilz also makes a gray acrylic primer called Rust Cap that will prep and adhere to galvanized surfaces. A trip to the paint store will lead you to the product you want, I am sure there are several brands available. If budget is a major concern I would wipe down a piece of the galvanized sheet metal I planned to use with white vinegar, prime and paint it (or two coats of paint)and see if I was satisfied with the results. I have wiped galvanized metal down with white vinegar and painted it with Rustoleum and it held up for a few years however the sides of a bus would likely give the paint a tougher workout then construction applications would.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #13

I want to leave it galvanizied. If it will be a pain then I will just get primered steel sheet. I thought the All Americans were galvanized. I will try to look at the different guages on monday or tuesday.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I used 16ga galvanized steel and used an etching primer on it before installing them and it looks great after 4 years. I wouldn't go any lighter than 18 ga for integrity. When you take your window out they (on a blue bird anyway) rolled the lower edge up so if any water that did get by the window would roll out and not into the interior of the bus. I cut the gal. sheets 1 1/2" wider than the opening and the same for the height. The bottom inch folds inward to mimic the thickness of the window (for spacing), the top 1/2" rolls out to get under the drip edge to give wasps and such no place to make nests and give the sheets some integrity (there is also quite a gap that would be too much to caulk). The sides just ran 3/4 past the opening and got tack welded to the braces every 3 inches. I used a paintable caulk to seal them in and it looks great. I also went to Lowes and got screen frame material in 10' sticks and made screens the width of the opening windows and only the height of the top window opening and just siliconed them in place, no screws needed, they work great too. You do get a little singing with the wind going through them running down the road but we found that speed and gas mileage increased a hair if the windows are shut or only open the first notch which keeps the singing down too. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for all your input. I'm going to go out and locate some metal fairly soon. I'm on a pretty tight budget, but also in no hurry to complete this project.

One other question... the window pillars are set back about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the rest of the body... how should I flush it up? I was thinking that aluminum flat stock they sell at home depot/lowes might do the trick...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Not if $$ matters That's one of the most expensive places to buy metal. Here's a quick thought....roofing shingles, cut into strips, use adhesive to hang 'em on the pillars, once the metal is screwed or riveted through them, they won't go anywhere, rot, rust, or rattle.
Smitty
Wow, great idea... now locating some out here in NM might be kind of tough though... not many places using shingles.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:35 PM   #17

I stopped by the sheet metal place today and looked at the different guages. 22 guage will be thick enough for me. I saw 18 guage, way too thick. My roof won't be raised so I'm not worried about the thinner stuff.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

I'm currently debating on what kind of insulation to use... I've heard fiberglass can hold water and cause rust. I'm thinking of styrofoam but can't find any rated higher than R5. Any suggestions?

Also... I'm considering leaving the windows in to help with insulation... has anyone done this?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #19
Bus Nut

The polyboard looks good, but can't seem to find it anywhere... where did you get it from?

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 Detroit
Rated Cap: 70

I used the sheet vinyl that is sold at Lowes for underpinning mobile homes. It cuts easily, will not rust and has perforations to limit moisture buildup behind them subsquently preventing rust. I held it up with drill screws available at Lowes in many different lengths and head combinations. I did not come up with a good method of sealing the cut ends however. I used "Great Stuff" foam and trimmed it off evenly with a knife. The attached picture shows the results.
Attached Thumbnails
driver side on.JPG  
wdbowers is offline   Reply With Quote