Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shipping a bus

Any clue how to get a bus from Oregon or Washington state to Missouri? I don't want to drive 31 hrs but there are some fine clean buses in the PNW.

If you do now how, do you also know how much $?

Need to figure out if a rust free bus for $3k in Oregon is a better deal than a $6k very slightly rusted local bus

DrTwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Rust free every time!

I did find this information for another member.

Here is the link to the post in Tango's thread to the hauler he used:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/4...html#post55895

Here is the contact info for that post:

Company name: Okie-Go-Hauling
Phone: Cell: 409.771.3098
Email: okienewton@att.net
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you!
Old 05-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Thank you!
You are very welcome. I hope the information is of use.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
ask PNW steve if he'd be interested in driving it for you.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
There are a number of benefits to driving your own bus home but I understand it can be a daunting prospect if you're unaccustomed to large vehicles, diesels, and road trips. However, since I'm assuming road-tripping is your eventual intention then there is no better time to start getting into the swing of it than that maiden voyage.

Each time I read one of these topics it makes me wonder if there isn't a little cottage industry opportunity for more experienced skoolie owners (and indeed experienced truck drivers as many of the same principles come into play) who are willing to coordinate with soon-to-be buyers for much this same purpose. A lot of the pre-purchase knowledge is already disseminated via this forum but from the moment a new owner gets behind the wheel they can feel overwhelmed and unprepared. If an experienced driver was contracted to meet at the point of purchase, teach how to inspect the new purchase, maybe point out if an obvious malfunction exists which should void the purchase, then team drive the bus home in order to gain real world experience, this would seem like a win-win and worth a reasonable fee. Of course I realize this all sounds good in theory right up to the reasonable fee part! Who knows, maybe when I semi retired from semi driving I might semi give this a try!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTwitch View Post
Any clue how to get a bus from Oregon or Washington state to Missouri? I don't want to drive 31 hrs but there are some fine clean buses in the PNW.

If you do now how, do you also know how much $?

Need to figure out if a rust free bus for $3k in Oregon is a better deal than a $6k very slightly rusted local bus

31 hours...that's all?

When I bought my bus in Kentucky, drove up, gave the car to my niece, and drove the bus back to Miami.

I'd drive out there, put t tow hitch on the bus and tow my car back.
The beginning of your skoolie journey !!!

also a great excuse for a road trip! ... IMHO
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
There are a number of benefits to driving your own bus home but I understand it can be a daunting prospect if you're unaccustomed to large vehicles, diesels, and road trips. However, since I'm assuming road-tripping is your eventual intention then there is no better time to start getting into the swing of it than that maiden voyage.

Each time I read one of these topics it makes me wonder if there isn't a little cottage industry opportunity for more experienced skoolie owners (and indeed experienced truck drivers as many of the same principles come into play) who are willing to coordinate with soon-to-be buyers for much this same purpose. A lot of the pre-purchase knowledge is already disseminated via this forum but from the moment a new owner gets behind the wheel they can feel overwhelmed and unprepared. If an experienced driver was contracted to meet at the point of purchase, teach how to inspect the new purchase, maybe point out if an obvious malfunction exists which should void the purchase, then team drive the bus home in order to gain real world experience, this would seem like a win-win and worth a reasonable fee. Of course I realize this all sounds good in theory right up to the reasonable fee part! Who knows, maybe when I semi retired from semi driving I might semi give this a try!
That would be awesome
Old 05-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
If the bus is road-worthy (and has a reasonable hwy gear/speed) it should be a lot cheaper to hire a driver to drive the bus than hire a hauler to trailer the bus...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
I hired a guy to drive my bus from Georgia to Alaska. I couldn't take off the 2 weeks to do it myself. He wanted a fun road trip, so he didn't charge much. I checked him out - his other job was to deliver sail boats. I drove it back to Georgia myself.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I don't know what the time window is for this but another option that may be worth looking into is contacting one of the many RV driveaway companies mostly located in Northern Indiana. The drivers are independent contractors who are paid by the mile but then responsible for their way home. For the pickup drivers who deliver fifth wheels they might find a different towable heading back in the general direction of home but for those who deliver the class A or C RVs their only option is usually by bus or plane. If however they had a delivery to PNW and then a drivable back to the Midwest that would be pretty worthwhile for them so they may be willing to negotiate on the rate. There are still some obstacles - they're used to driving brand new RVs so an old school bus isn't their preference and also if they experience a breakdown your phone will be ringing with a very expensive tow or roadside repair bill needing approval. All things to consider but may be worth a few calls to gauge how receptive they are.

There's also straight up all-types driveaway companies who will drive pretty much anything anywhere but as that's their biz I wouldn't expect any negotiable prices.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote