Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Take delivery off the dealer's lot then boogie home!

John

Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
A lot of businesses and municipal entities are really taking the "cover your a$$" mantra to the extreme. No telling why, but they're not giving any opportunity to create a potential court case from any negligence, anywhere, in their handling of the sales process.

The school district I bought my bus from required a copy of my driver license, even though I was not picking it up myself and fully informed them I had hired a professional shipper to pick up my bus.
They would not release the title without it!

Just another hoop to jump through on the path to actual possession of an asset...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
What’s the GVWR?
The weight is 37600.
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
I have all of those. Not too common to hold a passerger endorsement.
I am unable to PM you. Would you be interested in hooking up and making a deal?
Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
I would only be 20-25% less than your quotes depending who pays for fuel. Always willing to try to help though.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Have you tried uship?
Old 06-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'd be open to making a trip. I live in GA, the drive would take me 4-5 days.

Or you could travel with and I'd "get you out the gate" and give it a good pre-trip.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I'd be open to making a trip. I live in GA, the drive would take me 4-5 days.

Or you could travel with and I'd "get you out the gate" and give it a good pre-trip.
Sounds like we can make an arrangement. I'll pm you.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Have you tried uship?
I have listed it on Uship but have had no hits on it yet.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I had a bad experience with UShip. They charged me for a pick up attempt ($200). They said the unit was not ready to load when they showed up with a truck that was too small to load it into. Charged my card, wasn't anything I could do. They hit me after the delivery. I'll never use them again.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I had a bad experience with UShip. They charged me for a pick up attempt ($200). They said the unit was not ready to load when they showed up with a truck that was too small to load it into. Charged my card, wasn't anything I could do. They hit me after the delivery. I'll never use them again.
I had a good experience with Uship the first time - price was sensible and my goods made part of a load the driver was already bringing past my door - certainly cost less than it would have cost me to go get it - the next time I tried to get the same product shipped, prices were obscene - I could have made 2 or 3 trips myself and still saved money - I eventually cut my order down and a friend who was heading my way brought it out
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Semi related to this topic:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/383.93

Scroll down to Question 3 ........ (for 99% of us, we fall under driveaway-towaway exemptions as far as the passenger endorsement goes.) And since most of us are not engaged in commerce, the "Commercial" part of the license is exempt too. The class B may not be, depending on what state you're in, but that's another topic for another discussion.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Semi related to this topic:

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...section/383.93

Scroll down to Question 3 ........ (for 99% of us, we fall under driveaway-towaway exemptions as far as the passenger endorsement goes.) And since most of us are not engaged in commerce, the "Commercial" part of the license is exempt too. The class B may not be, depending on what state you're in, but that's another topic for another discussion.
You would need their definition of "empty", I assume it means no seats. Because Question #12 says to drive it off the school lot with seats in it requires an endorsement.

Question 12: Is a person who drives an empty school bus from the manufacturer to the local distributor required to obtain a CDL?

Guidance: Yes. Any driver of a bus that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers or that has a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms (26,001 pounds) or greater is required to obtain a CDL in the applicable class. A passenger endorsement is also required if the bus is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
You would need their definition of "empty", I assume it means no seats. Because Question #12 says to drive it off the school lot with seats in it requires an endorsement.

Question 12: Is a person who drives an empty school bus from the manufacturer to the local distributor required to obtain a CDL?

Guidance: Yes. Any driver of a bus that is designed to transport 16 or more passengers or that has a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms (26,001 pounds) or greater is required to obtain a CDL in the applicable class. A passenger endorsement is also required if the bus is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver

Good observation. Loophole in the Q&A section, it seems. Since Q3 addresses driveaway-towaway operations (and every new bus I've ever seen and driven was fully equipped with seats; they were not dealer-installed), I believe "Empty" refers to no passengers. The companies I have worked for (which were in fact driveaway-towaway operations) indicated that and added that having so much as a single passenger, even if it is a co-worker or family member, still constitutes having a passenger and in that case, the "P" endorsement becomes necessary. A bit absurd if taken to that extreme, but them's the rules for ya.

Looking down to Q14, it seems the Q3 exemption is specifically designed for driveaway-towaway companies.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
I have listed it on Uship but have had no hits on it yet.
I've used Uship. Its expensive and frustrating.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've used Uship. Its expensive and frustrating.
They are pricey, but if you have to get something like a bus moved and you can't do it yourself, they come in handy.

They have customer service folks available if issues arise, who are friendly and helpful from my last recent experience with them in May...
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #37
Skoolie

I ship vehicles I purchase all the time. Open carrier from Washington to TN for a car or regular PU is at least $1500. Easily DOUBLE that or more for a bus.

Not to hard to double your purchase price of a bus with just the shipping cost alone. Is that bus still worth it to ya???

Expensive shipping for a large bus is a good reason NOT to buy a bus clear across the country far from where ya live and not spend the time and money to go and personally inspect it!

Driving cross country in a school bus is a LONG and EXPENSIVE drive when doing it yourself. Especially when your "new" bus takes a schidt on the side of the road.

My time is worth far more than my money that's why I ship vehicles I buy at auctions. If you do not buy bus's all the time I suggest anyone think long and hard before "Pulling the Trigger" on a long distance sight unseen bus purchase!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Not to hard to double your purchase price of a bus with just the shipping cost alone. Think long and hard before "Pulling the Trigger" on a long distance sight unseen bus purchase!
It did cost more to ship my bus from NC to NH than I paid for it!
After weighing my options, it was easier and way less headaches to get it shipped up vs taking time to fly down, rent a car, spend night in hotel, pick up bus, return rental, drive an unknown bus home 900 miles.
Glad I didn't do that, as the radiator was tender on the edges and would not have likely made the road trip.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the money, as long as what you're getting is worth it!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I ship vehicles I purchase all the time. Open carrier from Washington to TN for a car or regular PU is at least $1500. Easily DOUBLE that or more for a bus.

Not to hard to double your purchase price of a bus with just the shipping cost alone. Is that bus still worth it to ya???

Expensive shipping for a large bus is a good reason NOT to buy a bus clear across the country far from where ya live and not spend the time and money to go and personally inspect it!

Driving cross country in a school bus is a LONG and EXPENSIVE drive when doing it yourself. Especially when your "new" bus takes a schidt on the side of the road.

My time is worth far more than my money that's why I ship vehicles I buy at auctions. If you do not buy bus's all the time I suggest anyone think long and hard before "Pulling the Trigger" on a long distance sight unseen bus purchase!
putting more butterflies in my belly - lol - I'm planning to bid on a bus tomorrow, 600 - 700 miles from here - lol - if my karma holds I'll get a perfect, recently inspected bus that lacks nothing, and if my karma holds true, I won't be able to afford one if they are ridden with problems and would have to be hauled home - the one shining light I'm following is that I have bought vehicles from the same auction that were previously owned by that city and it had been very well maintained - for the buses in tomorrow's auction that aren't running, the city had declared that there were motor problems, transmission problems, or the bus needed several expensive ( major ) repairs - all of the non-operating buses were declared to be suitable for parts only
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
Good Morning All,

I am purchasing a bus from a dealer in Washington state and I need to transport it to North Carolina. I have gotten quotes from two companies placing it at $5k to get the job done. This is a very high price. I cannot retrieve the bus myself because the dealer will only release it to someone with a CDL license, which I do not possess at the moment. Any advice on this as it is the exact bus I am looking for and do not want to miss the oppurtunity.

Thanks!

What is so special about this bus would be my question. Aside from that you can check with uship.com on a driveaway service to NC. Also you can have the bus towed to the street and then drive it away. Lastly I have a bus for sale down here in FL that may be right up your ally. Not sure what you are looking for though.
Desmondgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote