Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Collins
Engine: 6.0L Gas
Shopppping!!

So, here's a list of things I need to buy and I'm hoping we can come to a conclusion about the best and/or most reasonably priced products out there..
1. Weatherstripping (will be used for windows)
2. Sealant (for windows and roof hatches mainly, etc.)
3. Fan (maxxair vs. fan-tastic vs....)
4. Mini Wood Stove (are there any inexpensive options?)
Thanks in advance.

OnTheRoadW/theLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Some have been having trouble securing an insurance policy if it has a wood burning stove, check with your insurance agent. Some may say the FanTastic fans are the best but my Maxxair does everything the Fantastic does for about $100 less. Sikiflex seems to be the go to sealant.
The only weather strip on my windows was at the top and it was a basic 5/8" square strip.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome, just looked into sikaflex, it's polyurethane which it seems most exterior sealants are made up of. And yea, although I like the look of the Fan-tastic a lot better, can't really justify spending on extra $100 on roof aesthetics.

How is everyone fitting these fans into the roof? My hatch is about 23" and it seems most the Fan-tastic and Maxx don't line up. I was thinking of throwing tinted Lexan over one hatch with Tek Screws and some butyl tape under the edges. Maybe I could do the same for the vented hatch and just cut a big hole in the Lexan??
Old 02-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Oh, and any ideas about what to do with my rust. Prep and etch or do I use just some rust converter? I know I'm all over the place, I've got a million mini projects to do and can't figure out which direction to take!!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Most skin the opening with sheet metal and then cut the 14" opening in the center. I think you'll like the way I went. I skinned the openings with a piece of 26" tinted Lexan and then mounted my Maxxair in the middle of it. That way i still get a lot of ambient light coming it. Up the road I may add another fan in the front skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
20190211_173720.jpg   20190211_173642.jpg  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoadW/theLord View Post
Oh, and any ideas about what to do with my rust. Prep and etch or do I use just some rust converter? I know I'm all over the place, I've got a million mini projects to do and can't figure out which direction to take!!
Prep and etch is a rust converter and is the cheapest product to use.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks alot and nice bus, it's quite large, I'm only dealing with a shorty. The sheet metal seems to be the way to go then, it looks sleek too, however, I was hoping to catch some extra rays with a cheap Lexan hatch.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheRoadW/theLord View Post
Thanks alot and nice bus, it's quite large, I'm only dealing with a shorty. The sheet metal seems to be the way to go then, it looks sleek too, however, I was hoping to catch some extra rays with a cheap Lexan hatch.
If you go to the upper left and find the UserCP you can fill out your profile so we know where you are and what bus you have so as to easier answer your questions.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

As far as sealants go, I'm looking at a few on TACbusparts.com, particularly the E6100, which is advertised as "2x stronger, 60x more flex than polyurethane". I believe it's the same as the current black adhesive on my windows that's still tacky after at least 15 years.
The E6100 is also twice the price. Is it really worth it? I'm hoping not to have to replace the windows ever again (10-15 years)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I'll do that, thanks. Eventually I'll upload some photos too, just had some trouble in the beginning navigating this site.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Some have been having trouble securing an insurance policy if it has a wood burning stove, check with your insurance agent. Some may say the FanTastic fans are the best but my Maxxair does everything the Fantastic does for about $100 less. Sikiflex seems to be the go to sealant.
The only weather strip on my windows was at the top and it was a basic 5/8" square strip.
Huh... My Fantastic costs $125 brand new. Where can I get a Maxxair for $25? I'll take ten.

I actually was going to go with Maxxair but they were nearly $200 and then I found 3 NIB Fantastics for $50 each new.
I say go for whatever you find a deal on. The maxxair is a great unit but it does use about 2 to 3 times the power to run. They're a bit more sturdy looking though.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Huh... My Fantastic costs $125 brand new. Where can I get a Maxxair for $25? I'll take ten.

I actually was going to go with Maxxair but they were nearly $200 and then I found 3 NIB Fantastics for $50 each new.
I say go for whatever you find a deal on. The maxxair is a great unit but it does use about 2 to 3 times the power to run. They're a bit more sturdy looking though.
They both make many models with different options, which ones are you comparing without knowing the facts? I compared mine with an equivalent model of FanTastic fan and there's a $120 difference. What model did you get?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yeah, IIRC our Maxxair cost a bit more than the equivalent FanTastic, but it wasn't so much that it was a deal breaker. The reviews were much better as far as noise was concerned....didn't look into energy consumption.

Also, OP, we skinned our hatch with 18GA steel using self tappers and sealant, and used copious amounts of butyl tape when we put in the fan.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Yeah, IIRC our Maxxair cost a bit more than the equivalent FanTastic, but it wasn't so much that it was a deal breaker. The reviews were much better as far as noise was concerned....didn't look into energy consumption.

Also, OP, we skinned our hatch with 18GA steel using self tappers and sealant, and used copious amounts of butyl tape when we put in the fan.
Yeah its a ford vs chevy thing.
Either one are great compared to the $30 models.

I've got a pop up Fantastic static vent that's pretty nice and was $35 new. They're an amazing deal and although they don't have a fan they let in light and fresh air.
I may end up getting a maxxair for my shorty since they have one that has a built in rain cover and I'm short on clearance already. Hard to find a deal on one though. They cost half as much as an rooftop ac unit.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote