Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #21
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
So, would this jury like this model....



Used 2003 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX School Bus B24372-Used2003ThomasSaf T Liner HDX



I would like if it were SHORTER. Looking for <=38’
It absolutely LUDICROUSLY priced, but yeah that's the kinda drivetrain to look for.
At auction that bus would be maybe 3-5 grand.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 41
Year: 2009
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner EF
Engine: Cummins 6.7L ISB220
Rated Cap: Not sure. 29' length
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Also it is a low roof model.

Ah ha! The plot thickens once again! I've learned a little about makes, models, engine placement, length, engine and transmission models,....and now there is roof height!?



Help me out. What is the deal here? I've seen converters refer to "roof raising" and just assumed these were owners who were tall or especially ambitious or whatever. We've rented RVs and Airstream trailers for years and never had any issue with ceiling height. I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'4".

FYI, we have *zero* interest in cutting and raising a roof. Also, we definitely do not want *any* challenges with bridge clearance. We are an adventure family and need a maneuverable bus.

Your comment leads me to believe that there is more to this than I've thought.

1. What is the deal with roof height?

2. How do you tell height? Is it in model number or specs, or do you tell from photos?

3. What "standard" heights are available?
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Ah ha! The plot thickens once again! I've learned a little about makes, models, engine placement, length, engine and transmission models,....and now there is roof height!?



Help me out. What is the deal here? I've seen converters refer to "roof raising" and just assumed these were owners who were tall or especially ambitious or whatever. We've rented RVs and Airstream trailers for years and never had any issue with ceiling height. I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'4".

FYI, we have *zero* interest in cutting and raising a roof. Also, we definitely do not want *any* challenges with bridge clearance. We are an adventure family and need a maneuverable bus.

Your comment leads me to believe that there is more to this than I've thought.

1. What is the deal with roof height?

2. How do you tell height? Is it in model number or specs, or do you tell from photos?

3. What "standard" heights are available?
standard height is around 6'. I'm 5'10 and in a standard height bus I simply NEED a roof raise. My shorty is standard height, but its a cruiser not meant for full on conversion or living in.
Extra headroom models have around 6'4" or more.
If the rows of windows are lower or even with the drivers window its a standard headroom model. The taller windows give it away on high headroom models.
standard headroom-

high headroom-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 41
Year: 2009
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner EF
Engine: Cummins 6.7L ISB220
Rated Cap: Not sure. 29' length
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
standard height is around 6'. I'm 5'10 and in a standard height bus I simply NEED a roof raise. My shorty is standard height, but its a cruiser not meant for full on conversion or living in.
Extra headroom models have around 6'4" or more.
If the rows of windows are lower or even with the drivers window its a high headroom model. The taller windows give it away.
standard headroom-

high headroom-
Do the 6'4" "extra headroom" models have any clearance issues? Bridges? Etc?

How can you tell height when looking at buses online?
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Do the 6'4" "extra headroom" models have any clearance issues? Bridges? Etc?

How can you tell height when looking at buses online?
Nah, no clearance issues.
HUGE roof raises would have issues, but even with a sensible 8-12 inch raise you'd be well under the maximum height.

One thing to note- buses scrape low lying branches and wires even without a roof raise. Residential and rural areas can require careful maneuvering/planning.

Look at the window lines on the buses I put in those pics. That's how you can look at the bus and tell.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #26
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 671
Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Nah, no clearance issues.
HUGE roof raises would have issues, but even with a sensible 8-12 inch raise you'd be well under the maximum height.

One thing to note- buses scrape low lying branches and wires even without a roof raise. Residential and rural areas can require careful maneuvering/planning.

Look at the window lines on the buses I put in those pics. That's how you can look at the bus and tell.
Maximum legal height is 13'6" on the outside. Most school buses come in much lower than that (hence a "roof raise"...).

And to clarify ECCB's posts about the pictures (sorry, ECCB, those pics are tiny...):
1. look at the door (if you are on the curb side) or the driver's window (if you are on the driver's side).
2. follow the glass up to the top of said door or window...
3. now, follow the top of the glass towards the back of the vehicle - to where the door / window ends.
4. If the top of the glass of the curb door or driver's window is at or above the top of the passenger windows, then the bus is a low-roof model (ECCB's first picture). If the top of the glass is below the top of the passenger windows, then the bus is a high-roof model (ECCB's second picture).

The high-roof models are the ones you want to be looking at.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 41
Year: 2009
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner EF
Engine: Cummins 6.7L ISB220
Rated Cap: Not sure. 29' length
Alright, since I have your attention and I'm getting great advice from the group, I want to flash up another bus...

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...20&acctid=8931

Thomas HDX
1997, so no weird wiring, vibrating mirrors, or emissions systems
High-Roof (or so it appears)
Cummins Engine
4,107 miles (but 7,863 tach hrs!?)

I wish I could get more images or details, but seller is not giving much up.

I could find a local diesel mechanic to run out and inspect.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Concerns?
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Alright, since I have your attention and I'm getting great advice from the group, I want to flash up another bus...

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...20&acctid=8931

Thomas HDX
1997, so no weird wiring, vibrating mirrors, or emissions systems
High-Roof (or so it appears)
Cummins Engine
4,107 miles (but 7,863 tach hrs!?)

I wish I could get more images or details, but seller is not giving much up.

I could find a local diesel mechanic to run out and inspect.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Concerns?

Is that the one that another member bought and couldn't get started even with 2 mechanic visits in 2 days?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #29
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Alright, since I have your attention and I'm getting great advice from the group, I want to flash up another bus...

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...20&acctid=8931

Thomas HDX
1997, so no weird wiring, vibrating mirrors, or emissions systems
High-Roof (or so it appears)
Cummins Engine
4,107 miles (but 7,863 tach hrs!?)

I wish I could get more images or details, but seller is not giving much up.

I could find a local diesel mechanic to run out and inspect.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Concerns?

Not enough info on that one.

It is a Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP RE. It is not an HDX

It probably has the mechanical Cummins 8.3L and either an MT643 or MD3060 transmission. (It has a Cummins engine, and putting the 5.9 in that bus makes no sense).

It does have the high ceiling.

It's worth asking questions about, but it's already close to what it is worth looking at the bidding. It's one of those worth having, but it's likely to go over-priced.

True mileage is likely around 150-175k miles.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #30
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,482
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
Alright, since I have your attention and I'm getting great advice from the group, I want to flash up another bus...

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...20&acctid=8931

Thomas HDX
1997, so no weird wiring, vibrating mirrors, or emissions systems
High-Roof (or so it appears)
Cummins Engine
4,107 miles (but 7,863 tach hrs!?)

I wish I could get more images or details, but seller is not giving much up.

I could find a local diesel mechanic to run out and inspect.

Thoughts? Ideas? Questions? Concerns?
4,107 miles? 200 miles a year?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #31
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Central MN
Posts: 191
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
I asked what model Cummins was in it and they replied "six cycles". Take it from there.
__________________
GaryC
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #32
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
I asked what model Cummins was in it and they replied "six cycles". Take it from there.
That sounds like a clerk reading "6C"

That would actually be a Cummins 6CTA250-8.3L

One of the best engines ever put in a school bus .... it still needs to be running properly.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #33
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 10,482
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That sounds like a clerk reading "6C"

That would actually be a Cummins 6CTA250-8.3L

One of the best engines ever put in a school bus .... it still needs to be running properly.
I think it's spellcheck doing it's thing and they meant "cylinders"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:24 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie
 
BartStephens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 41
Year: 2009
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner EF
Engine: Cummins 6.7L ISB220
Rated Cap: Not sure. 29' length
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
Not enough info on that one.

It is a Thomas Saf-T-Liner MVP RE. It is not an HDX

It probably has the mechanical Cummins 8.3L and either an MT643 or MD3060 transmission. (It has a Cummins engine, and putting the 5.9 in that bus makes no sense).

It does have the high ceiling.

It's worth asking questions about, but it's already close to what it is worth looking at the bidding. It's one of those worth having, but it's likely to go over-priced.

True mileage is likely around 150-175k miles.


“True Mileage” huh? What is that about? Are they replacing odometers on these things? Is that a common practice?
BartStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #35
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
“True Mileage” huh? What is that about? Are they replacing odometers on these things? Is that a common practice?
The gauges on buses are really crappy and thus they break and get changed out pretty often. Especially Navistar/IC gauges.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #36
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 2,627
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartStephens View Post
“True Mileage” huh? What is that about? Are they replacing odometers on these things? Is that a common practice?
It has over 7000 hours on the engine. I have a similar bus set up for activity use and at 5500 hours it has 102000 miles.
__________________
Steve Bracken

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #37
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Older engines

I can say in trucking that most people that are looking for older unit look for 2003 or older. 2004 was the first year of EGR. That's when problems really started. CAT then made the accert motor. They had so many issues the completely withdrew from the industry.
I wouldn't go so old that it has a mechanical engine. The electronic fuel injection engines made leaps and bounds of improvement in fuel economy.I'm speaking for my knowledge of the trucking industry, class 8 semi trucks. I'm sure that most of that would carry over to the buses.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.