Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
Max value of the bus? Scrap cost minus towing...
Your bus probably weighs has around 25000 lbs of mostly metal and shredded steel sells for about $85 per ton right now. Scrap value is about $1000.

I can't find recent estimates on towing, but it'll be somewhere in the ballpark of $200 hookup fee plus $5 per mile.

So, if the scrap yard is less than about 160 miles, afair price is above zero.

Pleeeeeeeease buy it? Also, rants about the unexpected problems are a must.
I'd be shocked if it weighs more than 19k lbs.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Agree with everything said here. I didn't even get all the way through your first post before I was yelling at the computer for you to run away!

If you are set on getting this 30K mile Unicorn, tell the mechanic that has it that you are very willing to buy it from him AFTER he has it running. Use a third party to hold your money until you can drive the bus. If he says he can easily sell it for $5K if it's running, tell him you will gladly give him $5k when it's running. If you are dead set on buying a non running bus because you think it's saving you money, my local school district is selling at least 2 non-running busses for $495. That gives you $4500 for towing and repair work. If you have $5000 and some patience, you will find the RE, side door bus you want that runs like a dream inside of two weeks.

As a side note, I work for corrections and our busses are not taken care of that well. The department doesn't sell them until they are mostly dead, and usually with well over 500K on them. Several of the coach style busses we have are nearing 1 million miles and break down at least once a month.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
You are spending way too much time here trying to convince yourself that this is a good deal even though all information and opinion says otherwise. Put your rose coloured sunglasses away, listen to what these people with a great deal of bus knowledge are telling you and start shopping some where else. This is a money pit on a monumental scale. Sorry if that seems too direct but you asked a question and you don't like the answer.
Good luck
I can read and listen, thank you. I actually just genuinely want to know the answer to my rust question as this doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Rust accumulation is a function of how much time the metal spends in direct contact with water. If you take a bus fresh from the factory and leave it in a parking lot for a couple of decades, the underside will never get wet and it won't rust (there would be a tiny amount of corrosion from moisture in the air, but not enough to make a serious dent in the galvanized coating). Bus undersides rust because the buses drive around in the rain and snow and get a regular soaking - in NY/NJ it's a salt bath, too. If the bus is not kept clean, the bolt holes and nooks and crannies of the underside accumulate dirt and mud which holds water against the chassis and accelerates the rusting. Or also (as in the case of my bus) if the body above it leaks and rusts through and allows water to regularly soak the chassis.
Ah, I see. I'll be able to better make determinations about usage in the future, thanks for the quality information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
As a side note, I work for corrections and our busses are not taken care of that well. The department doesn't sell them until they are mostly dead, and usually with well over 500K on them. Several of the coach style busses we have are nearing 1 million miles and break down at least once a month.
This is really good to know, thank you.

Quote:
If you have $5000 and some patience, you will find the RE, side door bus you want that runs like a dream inside of two weeks.
I'm relived to hear that you think that. Part of the reason I'm considering a bus that doesn't run in the first place is that I need something ASAP, which I know is an attitude generally advised against, but I currently have no where to live and cannot afford the rent in my area long term. Rather then blow what I do have on rent and be in this situation again in four months, I'm looking to the bus life so that I can own something which will last. I'm hoping to crudely move in pretty much as soon as I lay the floor down after demo so I no longer have to couch crash at my friend's roach-infested sh*t hole.

I would encourage those who have been rude on this post to remember that you never know what someone's situation is or how desperate they are to change it.

Thank you to those who have given sound advice and good information, I'm grateful to this community. I'll give the guy a call and tell him I'm not interested. If anyone wants to jump on the opportunity to get cheap parts from this bus, I can put you in touch with him, haha.
Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Gary, what is your general location, and how far are you willing to travel to pick up a bus?
Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I think that people were being a little rude to really really really try to dissuade you from making a big mistake.

Good luck on finding the RIGHT bus
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Gary, what is your general location, and how far are you willing to travel to pick up a bus?
I'm in southern NJ. I'm in a borrowed car so I don't want to drive more than 500 miles, but I'd be willing to take a train (or bribe a friend) anywhere for something that really seemed promising.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:35 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Here’s an Oregon bus

https://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/auct...1825&from=view
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #28
Bus Geek

I don't see any rudeness. I see folks being frank about how horrible an idea it would be to buy that bus.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
If you need a home quick on a small budget, an RV might be a better choice. You're looking at a lot of time before you can make a bus comfortable, which might not be ideal if you're working on it while living in it.

If you later want to do a bus conversion, rip all the stuff out of the RV to use in the bus.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Don't know if this will do you any good, but at least it'll show you there are options out there, just be patient and keep looking.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/56260421

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/59750794

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/58497942
Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
( I'm looking to the bus life so that I can own something which will last.)
In your very last post you call me rude and then say this!
That bus won't last and will drain every damn dollar from your life.
What I said was not rude, it was direct and direct is what some people need to hear. I'm sorry to hear of your personal situation but I can garantee you buying a broken piece of sh*t will not help in any way and if you don't have the finances or mechanical abilities to look after it it's going to get a lot worse. These are large commercial vehicles that can cost a huge amount of money to service and maintain, they are generally disposed of when the cost of care exceeds the value.
You can take my directness for rudeness or you can understand that we offer our opinions when asked and sometimes we're talking from 55 years of experience.
Genuinely wishing you the best of luck.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Buy it, then post about it here. Include pictures. I'll enjoy reading the ongoing disaster.
:r ofl:

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
If you need a home quick on a small budget, an RV might be a better choice. You're looking at a lot of time before you can make a bus comfortable, which might not be ideal if you're working on it while living in it.

If you later want to do a bus conversion, rip all the stuff out of the RV to use in the bus.
Yeah, this. Or even a cargo van or conversion van, if you look at vandwelling blogs/videos you'll get an idea of what's possible there.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Thank you to those who have given sound advice and good information, I'm grateful to this community. I'll give the guy a call and tell him I'm not interested. If anyone wants to jump on the opportunity to get cheap parts from this bus, I can put you in touch with him, haha.
All right guys, we did our job and helped Gary make the right decision. Now lets stop baggin' on him and help him find something he can feel good about buying. It's not like all of you guys have made a perfect series of decisions on your busses. Poor guy came here with little knowledge and got raked over the coals. Lets take some of the Skoolie lessons and turn him into a smart bus driver!
Old 05-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Yeah, this. Or even a cargo van or conversion van, if you look at vandwelling blogs/videos you'll get an idea of what's possible there.
Quote:

Great ideas here Gary, I have scavenged thousands of dollars worth of stuff from an old class A motor home. The big '80's homes can be picked up for 3-4K in good working order. Get a few years out of it then gut it for a Skoolie.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I wasn't talking about you Oscar.

Appreciate the links and suggestions. I don't know if a motor home will work for me but I'll consider it, you've peaked my curiosity. Being off-grid is an absolute priority because of cost, I don't know if I'd be able to hook up to shore right now. Been researching skoolies for months, I know nothing about RVs. A van won't work for long term.

I know it will take a long time for a skoolie to be comfortable. I've been living out of a suitcase, a bag, and a cooler for a year on the road. I'm really not picky, trust me.

My biggest problem is that I can't cook where I am. I'm really in need of a crude kitchen for immediate present and a place to live within the next few months. I've got a Coleman propane stove and a folding table, just need somewhere to put it. I've been cooking outside but it's impractical for everyday, it rains here often. Maybe another surface, collapsible bucket and some water jugs for a sink, that's all I need right now.

If I do go the RV route, what could I salvage off of it? If I couldn't get my entire investment back it wouldn't be worth it.

Also, I'm very amused by the 'Gary's, but my name is Gray and I have t*ts.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Ac, generator, sinks, stove/oven/hood, microwave, inverter, windows, doors, furniture, awning, lots of stuff.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Living off grid is cheap, unless you want comforts like electricity, then the price starts going up
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post

If I do go the RV route, what could I salvage off of it? If I couldn't get my entire investment back it wouldn't be worth it.

Also, I'm very amused by the 'Gary's, but my name is Gray and I have t*ts.
Here's one in Philly for 4 grand.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...126280688.html
You'd be able to harvest the tanks, appliances, plumbing fixtures, etc.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
I've been where you are -- perhaps a p'up truck and an ol' camper would serve you better in the short to mid run...
Almost anywhere you can stay "off-grid" will require your having transportation back and forth to it...

I lived in a 14' 1962 fireball for 11½ months enduring one of CO coldest winters. Totally doable, but I had a secure place to leave the camper while I went to work...

I still have that ol' camper (I'm bad at letting go of 'things') BUT, it's propane powered fridge and 3 burner stove/oven still work great. They are better built than what I see in 1980's campers... They may find their way into my bus...

Sounds like you could live out of a stripped out bus -- at least during the warmer months.
This is my Fireball. Beware -- some folks think these ol' things are made of gold even when they're about to fall off the frame. You want to find an ol' camper that is safe to tow, but you don't want to pay for someones "restoration/glampping lipstick on a pig, dealeo..."
Just something solid enough that later it can be stripped for usable parts. You'll continue to upgrade as things come along...

What you damn sure don't wanna do is get to thinking you're desperate and make a poor choice out of desperation -- maintain! You got this!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1117.jpg  

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, budget, buying, diy, mechanic