Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #1

Question Should I buy this bus?

It's a 2003 Ford e450 with a 7.3L Powerstroke turbo diesel. It's a 5 window, no rust, a clean title, and the engine seems to be a winner... The problem is that it's got 380k miles on it for $5,000. I'm tempted because it has a large list of newly replaced parts that show that it was well maintained. Busses are going for way more than they used to so if it will give me another 300k miles, I feel like $5k is worth it. What do y'all think?

Thanks in advance =D

austinwittek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I think this should answer your question sufficiently... It's the hours that matter most. Check out the threads linked in my sig, specifically the Hours vs Miles.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
The powerstroke 7.3 is a highly desirable engine. Some might buy the bus just for the engine.

The last year the 7.3 was made was 2004, so it might have some emissions on it. They stopped making the 7.3 because of the emission requirements.

The cutaway van buses are generally well geared for highway speeds and the 7.3 will definitely pull that size bus up a grade.

The 7.3 came as a powerstroke for Ford with more HP and less torque, and as an International T444E, more torque, less HP for commercial vehicles. The main engine is the same, but a few major components, tuning, ecm, etc. are different. My bus has the T444E and it's a 33', so your engine in that size bus is easy peasy for traveling.

As Cheese said, a well cared for diesel, especially the 7.3, can go a long time. Fluids and filters routinely is the key. If you have records showing that, I'd consider it.

The other thing to remember is it's not just the engine that's gone 300k+, it's the tranny, suspension, brakes, etc.. In general, those parts are not designed for that kind of mileage, so if they haven't been cared for, recently replaced/updated, etc., I'd be concerned about that.

If you can get it fully checked over, engine, tranny, suspension, brakes, etc., before buying, it would be well worth your money.

Best of luck.

Tags
diesel, ford e450, high milage, mini bus, powerstroke