Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Should I do my own electrical and plumbing

yeah do it your self then when sumthing goes wrong you know how to fix it

cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Go the middle route. Do as much as you can yourself, but talk to pros for info/help and to get it inspected before use. Might as well get someone to check it out before the bonfire starts... ^.^
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Read the horror stories of people who broke down on the road with RV's or buses, and the cost if fate dealt them a road service agency that took advantage of their helplessness to make undue profit.

If you perform or assist with your own construction, and get at least a basic understanding of what each part is supposed to do, you can either get yourself going if something fails, or at least be a savvy consumer. You don't want an $800 towing and repair bill just because a ground wire loosened up somewhere.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypsnookle
yeah do it your self then when sumthing goes wrong you know how to fix it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
Go the middle route. Do as much as you can yourself, but talk to pros for info/help and to get it inspected before use. Might as well get someone to check it out before the bonfire starts... ^.^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Read the horror stories of people who broke down on the road with RV's or buses, and the cost if fate dealt them a road service agency that took advantage of their helplessness to make undue profit.

If you perform or assist with your own construction, and get at least a basic understanding of what each part is supposed to do, you can either get yourself going if something fails, or at least be a savvy consumer. You don't want an $800 towing and repair bill just because a ground wire loosened up somewhere.
I agree with them. Doing it yourself will not only save you money but also you will know what is ran where. I plan on putting in my own wiring then having my father take a look at it to make sure everything is done correctly. he is not a pro but has done a lot of wiring during remodels and knows the ins and outs of it better than I do, Ive only done small projects but know the basics. Also my set up will be less complex because I plan to be set up for shore power/generator use only.

So if you know how to do electrical work and feel confident about it then save some money and do it yourself. If you know of any friends who are electricians see if they can give you a hand or at least take a look at it when your done running wires and hooking things up. friends are good for this and will usually accept payment in form of beer . If no friends are available then either lay trust in what you have done and call it good, or what I suggest look around for a pro to come and inspect it it might cost you some money or it might not depending on how you ask them, who you find, and how far they have to travel.
Either way just don't make short cuts that could later prove disastrous . There are alot of people on here that can help out if you have a question. Also the web if full of info, and the Local library is a good source for books on electrical.

Hope this helped
Chris
thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

There are numerous resources available for everything you could possibly want to do. Time is the killer. If you have time, teach yourself then make it happen. Its not rocket science. You CAN do it.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote