Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2021, 06:35 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Should I remove ALL of my floor?

Hello! I have completely gutted my bus, with the exception of the drivers seat/hardware/dash etc and the AC unit at the front. It doesn’t appear to have much rust under these areas.

Question: should I just have my new flooring stop right before the drivers seat/AC, or should I gut EVERYTHING and have my new floor go all the way to the dash. Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.

- Eric

Eric_theferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
School buses aren't built with ride quality as a priority. In fact, school buses are very noisy things to ride in on the highway. that bus load of kids screaming at each other....they're not just trying to talk over each other, they're also talking over the bus noises. So, even if you are not concerned with floor insulation as a thermal barrier, consider it as a noise barrier. You'll be glad you did.
On my bus, I left the original floor in place at the right (front side) of the steps over to the driver's seat base. That little bit of floor can't be walked on so when I finish that area, I'll apply a sound deadener over the rubber matting and then install my carpet.
The floor at the top of the steps, I have sound deadener directly on the metal, 1/2" plywood which will have carpet on it eventually. The driver seat actually sits on a raised platform, when I replace the seat, the platform will get sound deadener and a new heavy rubber mat to replace what was there originally.
With the floor insulation I have installed in the "camper" area so far has made a very noticeable difference in the noise coming from the engine.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
That area under the dash and the driver's seat is one of the most rust-prone areas in the bus so you probably want to take up the floor all the way to the front - especially if you've found severe rust damage elsewhere on the floor.