Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

Shuttle bus rear doors

Hi so I plan on buying a shuttle bus and converting it. I have my heart set on the shuttle bus but I noticed in all the conversions I see nobody puts in rear doors and in order to access the storage under the bed it’s a little bit more of a hassle. I was wondering if you are able to put in rear doors kind of like how it’s set up on a van. I haven’t seen anyone do it and I feel it would be easier to access. Ik they have done it on Skoolies but I assume the skoolie make up and materials are different from a shuttle bus. Could anybody give me some knowledge on the subject if they have any?

Brookesconversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Your shuttle bus is probably fiberglass and that makes it harder to do anything with because if you make a mistake you can't weld it back. All cuts have to be exact and any framing is going to be wood and not metal. And sometimes the panels are not flat but crowned for strength, hence things may not fit. Don't let it scare you away but be aware it's a different ball game compared to metal.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
You can do this

I think most of us could do this. Takes time and planning. I would ask you to think about what kind of door would work best all around. Consider a door that has a hinge at the bottom. So that when you open the door, the door can be a table. You could have two doors. One that opens up, it has a hinge at the top. This would let have “open air “ sleeping. Or for the bed part the bed only opens left and right side hinges and split in the middle. And a lower door that accesses the under bed only. Lots of possibilities. The key part of this is how you deal with the opening you have made. You will need very specific things to do with the opening so the shell of the buss does not get too floppy. AND ways to lock the doors that make it a pain to break in. Also think about how to open from the inside in case of emergency exit. Will you want windows in the doors, will you want windows that open in the doors? What will you make the doors out of?

I think framing can be metal. Also fiberglass, also metal, can be glued. There are some very neat and interesting adhesives available. Most of us just don’t know about them.
Hope this gives you ideas.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Boogyman Door, Welcome

Just one opinion.
I've always thought their beds were placed at the back of the bus for other reasons & egress does justify the doors' existence. But, just for under bed access? Seems like reaching under or installing interior drawers or lift-bed brackets would be more rational to both builder & user.

Are you planning to use this space for something specific? House batteries, fresh water tanks, personal effects,
snow chains, tools & spare parts...?

I've slept in many places, but, never with an exterior door under or against my bed. That's actually my kid's worst nightmare - Monsters Inc meets Hellraiser.

We've spent so much time & effort sealing the air & water out of our conversion, I contemplate cutting each new hole. If I were adding an exterior access door, which requires an air/water-tight seal, it would be mid-ship with stairs. Far away from my dry toasty bed.

Once Freddy's demo was completed, we evaluated the time/expense of the repairs & maintenance required to continue. Our priorities & imaginations naturally aligned.

Keep investigating, when the time comes, you'll know how to complete the task or at least know why why you choose to decline.

This seems to be a common progression as each pre-owner/planner evolves into becoming the sole-builder & financier of our dreams.

Just one opinion. You are clearly one of us.

Welcome to the Insane Asylum, BrookesConversion

Did you read the
How-To Fiberglass tutorial? Good stuff in that thread.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #5

Thank you this helps me a lot I will definitely keep it in mind.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #6

Yes thank you I love all the ideas especially the table one
Old 07-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #7

Yes I intend to use it as an emergency escape/ storage space for my appliances such as the batteries, water tank, and other gear. I have seen people use bed lifts for their shuttle bus conversion but I would like rear access to feel less crowded and to allow maybe a pull out table to sit outsitde. There are other options I have seen. But the cabinets that will go in my bed area will have to be shorter in order to lift the bed up. Also I’m worried the bed lift could break while I’m under it. But I definitely will keep investigating to see if there are other options out there. And I will definitely look into the fiberglass tutorial thank you for your help and insight I really appreciate it.

Tags
doors, shuttle bus, shuttle bus conversion, shuttle bus doors