Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International 3800
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Sidewall blowout - ouch!

So I'm washing dishes in the kitchen this afternoon.... I heard what I thought to be an air discharge. Kinda dismissed it.

An hour later, I go out back for my weekly crank, and as I'm walking around the bus, I spot this depravity.

Who's got a good deal on 255/70 r22.5 going?
Attached Thumbnails
20200910_172428.jpg  

Sraycwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
If I'm reading the date code right, that's an 11 year old tire. If the rest of your tires are the same age, you will likely be having this issue recurring with the rest of them.

If it blew out the sidewall while just sitting there, parked, then it was definitely very weak. When spinning, a lot of heat is generated in tires, which often causes the blowout, and of course the centrifugal force tends to cause pieces to go flying.

I paid a bit over $210 for a single 295/75R22.5 tire when I pinched the sidewall on an outer dually on a curb. The shop was in Bridgeport, WV, and they mounted the tire without removing the wheel from the vehicle. I did not have the luxury of shopping around, I had to take what was available, so I could get back on the road as quickly as possible.

Shop around, see what kind of prices you can find. Don't forget tire rack as well, but then you still have to pay a shop to mount the tire.

While tires are on your mind, look at your other tires for the date code. That 1009 in the photo that is inside an oval, means the 10th week of 2009.

If your tires are over 7 years old, you should be planning and budgeting for their replacement. If they are over 10 years old, you should be replacing them.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 09-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
This may be a dumb question, but do they balance tires this size or just install them and call it good?
Old 09-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Yes, they can balance truck tires but many companies skip it.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1791-unleashed View Post
If I'm reading the date code right, that's an 11 year old tire. If the rest of your tires are the same age, you will likely be having this issue recurring with the rest of them.
Exactly!!!

Replacing tires based on age (7 years) is a controversial topic. At least be aware that many folks in the RV world do it that way.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
that was a recapped tire see the new dot stamped in it 1R BRR 1 5114 it was recapped the 51st week of 2014. i dont know whose cap it was as i dont recognize the recappers code
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sraycwb View Post
So I'm washing dishes in the kitchen this afternoon.... I heard what I thought to be an air discharge. Kinda dismissed it.

An hour later, I go out back for my weekly crank, and as I'm walking around the bus, I spot this depravity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlowOut.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	48893

That looks to be a bubble that formed quickly and burst just as quickly. It happens. Just be glad it wasn't a steer tire and you were parked... Watch the flatbed semi in the left lane at about 0:35 into this video...

For the uninformed, here's how to deal with that situation should it occur... Pay attention, don't panic and act accordingly with the info from this video. It can save your life and that of others. The reason this video says NOT to brake under this condition is that the brake on the affected wheel can lock up, causing the rim to dig into the pavement and overturn the vehicle.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote