Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Ob1
Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Grumman
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: Chevy 292 I-6
Sine wave inverter alert

If you are in the market for a pure sine wave inverter, you might check Northern Tool. I dont know anything about the quality, but they have a new line with very attractive prices. Might have to snag one...anyone need a Xantrex 3000?

Ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TE2000 FE
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Sine wave inverter alert

You have to watch what your buying. These are made in China inverters. The RE industry has been inudated by these cheap inverters, solar panels, wiind generators and other stuff. Yes its a good price but you get what you pay for.JMHO

Chuck
cschlessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Ob1
Skoolie

Yes, I know.

I slapped a Chinese made engine in a Honda bike frame {XR200} My daughter raced it a whole season. Since then I have used it for trail work, and have dogged it hard, actually trying to break it. Havent been able to yet.

Dropped another motor {50cc} into an old Honda Mini-Trail, not a problem.

Dropped a Chinese generator on the back of my bread truck/rv, no problems.

"They" wish to sell a product to the world and step out of the rice paddies. It is inevitable, might as well get used to it and figure out which Chinese manufacturers are putting out quality products.

"They" will continue to make products, intending to join the world marketplace. The marketplace will adjust.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Skoolie

Well I install RE equipment and here is what I have ran into when dealing with their cheaper goods

Doesnt work out of the box and dealer/manufacturer does not stand behind his sale

Does not operate at claimed output levels, dealer/manuf. does not stand behind

Breaks while in service and.... you guessed it

I can give many case eventys but someone would just accuse me of China phobia so whats the use. Its not that they are making and selling things I dont see their dealers or manufacturers supporting the product. In the renewable energy field we have learned cheaper does not mean better and thats all I am warning against, not a boycott because its chinese but buyer beware. Especially with electronics.

Chuck
Old 09-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
Ob1
Skoolie

I agree, you do need to be careful, there is junk out there. I dont mind running the Chinese motorcycle engines, they are pretty good in my opinion. The bikes they are installed in? No way ! {with the exception of the Hyosung 650}

I wouldnt buy a Chinese inverter at a flea market, but just might buy one from Northern Tool simply because they are an established business with a known return policy. Who knows/ Might work out OK...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
Skoolie

Here is a link to Home power magazine , there is a free down load for the sample issue the neat thing about it is there is a really good article on inverters and may help someone or not.
http://homepower.com/sample/

Chuck
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Chuck, thanks for the link.