Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
This sounds like a fun event. I've always thought it would be cool if skoolie builders were like the Amish and gang-tackled skoolie builds like they do barn-raisings.
Haha, yes, basically like a barn-raising. Great analogy.

WesleyElder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
That being said.. .. I'm hoping to finish my driver's seat today
You will! YOU WILL!
Old 06-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
5 days... so the buses are still yellow? takes more than 5 days to paint one.
My wife and I sanded, masked, primed and painted ours over 3 days roughly, so I guess one or two of the crew could be doing that while the others do the build out. It's not an awful task on a smaller bus.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
My wife and I sanded, masked, primed and painted ours over 3 days roughly, so I guess one or two of the crew could be doing that while the others do the build out. It's not an awful task on a smaller bus.
Yeah, we're debating about wrapping them vs. painting them. That's probably the most challenging part, tbh.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
[QUOTE=Danjo;441997

Also, youd never expect to have a completed-completed conversion, right?[/QUOTE]

Is there such a thing?
Old 06-16-2021, 05:29 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Is there such a thing?
I'm hoping for mostly complete and then whatever isn't, we will finish it afterwards before parting ways with the vehicles!
Old 06-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post
What paint did you use? How much sanding/body work did ya do?
I've got a couple years in auto body and it takes many days to properly paint even a VW beetle or a Yugo. But I get ya- a decent paint job can be done in a few days if going for something basic and just trying to change the color of a bus.
A Wanderlodge friend of ours just shelled out 25k for a paint job!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Sounds like a fun event and interesting to see how far along they can get. Unfortunately that’s too far for me to go with kids in school.

Id also like to see a just skoolie competition where teams are competing just on buses. Keep it basic, well planned out and don’t be picky in the details they could do something half decent. Experience would be a major help too. Having said that I always under estimate how long any project on my bus will take.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I binge watched a conversion in 5 days when I first caught the bug. My ceiling took 2 weeks I think. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:43 AM   #30
Skoolie

Quote:
What paint did you use? How much sanding/body work did ya do?
I've got a couple years in auto body and it takes many days to properly paint even a VW beetle or a Yugo. But I get ya- a decent paint job can be done in a few days if going for something basic and just trying to change the color of a bus.
A lot of sanding was done you know to the point of not having finger prints left! Haha and not much body work, just some light filler in a couple of spots. Paint was some of the Majic brand from Tractor Supply, which if I were building one for a competition I would pick a different paint. That Majic paint took a very long time to dry, but I have to admit it is very durable! No clear was applied.

I can see where it would cost that to paint a Wanderlodge, especially if going for an original paint scheme, which I would certainly have to do because there is just something about those multi-tone bus that are amazing.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:16 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just took 2 days to Upgrade my HPOP, rework some wiring and fix a powered steering leak....

its taken me 3 weeks so far to paint 3/4 of my Superior with a roller...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:59 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I just took 2 days to Upgrade my HPOP, rework some wiring and fix a powered steering leak....

its taken me 3 weeks so far to paint 3/4 of my Superior with a roller...
I hope you do some before n after pics!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:20 AM   #33
Skoolie

I sprayed mine, thought about rolling it but decided against it mostly for the mess I make rolling paint haha.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Working fast

Ever hear of a 48 hour film festival? Groups get together usually with a script and a truck of equipment. Maybe 8 person teams. No funding. They are given something that has to be in the film so there is some script rewrite. In 48 hours, they have to complete a 12-15 minute film. This includes acting, editing, and titles. Since a movie that is 8 times longer and takes years to complete can cost $300M, it is a very impressive thing to watch.

It is amazing what focused people who know what they are doing (and know what to shortcut and what not to) can do.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyElder View Post
Hi everyone!

Really weird thing we're doing, but we're holding a festival called Gutted where 3 teams compete to renovate a van, an RV and a skoolie over 5 days in the Great Sand Dunes of Colorado. We have several travel creators who will be on the teams, holding panels and just attending, so I wanted to make sure I posted over here, too.

If it's something you want to come watch, go see the Dunes and meet up with other skoolies, then come on out! This is our first year doing it, so we're working through all sorts of things (especially post-covid), but it's looking to be a great event.

https://guttedevent.com/

Hope to see you there! Ask me any questions either here, or you can reach me directly at wesley@thejump.com.

Thanks!

Wesley
What kind of attendance are you expecting? And, what are you guys doing as far as covid protections? I tried to find you guys on instagram and stuff but had a hard time. Even if the busses aren't complete after five days it seems like an interesting and fun event.
ecoglitt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nords View Post
Ever hear of a 48 hour film festival? Groups get together usually with a script and a truck of equipment. Maybe 8 person teams. No funding. They are given something that has to be in the film so there is some script rewrite. In 48 hours, they have to complete a 12-15 minute film. This includes acting, editing, and titles. Since a movie that is 8 times longer and takes years to complete can cost $300M, it is a very impressive thing to watch.

It is amazing what focused people who know what they are doing (and know what to shortcut and what not to) can do.

I've actually done this several times, ha. That's my background, I'm a filmmaker. Similar concept!
Old 06-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoglitt3r View Post
What kind of attendance are you expecting? And, what are you guys doing as far as covid protections? I tried to find you guys on instagram and stuff but had a hard time. Even if the busses aren't complete after five days it seems like an interesting and fun event.
We're planning on between 1500-2000 people attending. We're getting good traction on tickets so far!

Our instagram is @guttedevent. It'll be curious to see how far the teams get!
Old 06-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
Sounds like a fun event and interesting to see how far along they can get. Unfortunately that’s too far for me to go with kids in school.

Id also like to see a just skoolie competition where teams are competing just on buses. Keep it basic, well planned out and don’t be picky in the details they could do something half decent. Experience would be a major help too. Having said that I always under estimate how long any project on my bus will take.
The plan for next year is that it's several weeks long and each week focuses on one specific type of vehicle! Week 1, vans, week 2, skoolies, week 3, box truck, ambulances... etc... etc..
Old 06-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Sounds like a fun event!

darn it! i lived in my bus in Blanca 2 years ago, other side of the state now.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:25 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
That's alot of Happy Meals! Bet it looks good though.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, competition, skoolie