Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Skoolie Conversion Business - Feasability?

Wanted to get everyones feedback on what they think of this business idea: converting various models of skoolies to RV's to sell. Depending on the customer wants could either be custom built to their desires or also have standard floor plans and amenities. Would remove all the original bus windows, skin the space and install regular RV windows for a more "mainstream" appearance. Same for all the other original bus equipment such as lights, etc. Smooth everything over and finish the outside for a "clean" look. Some options could be things such as a roof rack/platform, solar panels, rear porch, etc.
It would be geared towards people looking to buy a Class A type RV but who wants one that is reliable, rated highly for safety and one that will be very durable and last for years, unlike traditional RV's. Thoughts?

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Skoolie Conversion Business - Feasability?

Considering how many stick-n-staples manufacturers have gone out of business in the last two years, I would lean towards saying that it is not a good idea. I would say to look for a niche market... like off road folks who want a high clearance RV to take off the paved road.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Considering how many stick-n-staples manufacturers have gone out of business in the last two years, I would lean towards saying that it is not a good idea. I would say to look for a niche market... like off road folks who want a high clearance RV to take off the paved road.
I agree, and that's one group a skoolie is geared toward. I'm just not sure if there are enough people from the group of us that like skoolies for various reasons that would be willing to pay a premium for a turn-key conversion.
I am also wondering where you get "certified" to become an RV converter and thus able to issue a "Certificate of Conversion" (or whatever the formal name is) to have the title changed from a bus to an RV. The ability to do this in itself is key because in states like mine (VA) it is pretty much impossible to do it just through DMV alone.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1
I am also wondering where you get "certified" to become an RV converter and thus able to issue a "Certificate of Conversion" (or whatever the formal name is) to have the title changed from a bus to an RV. The ability to do this in itself is key because in states like mine (VA) it is pretty much impossible to do it just through DMV alone.
I've been wondering the exact same thing ... I'll be happy to jump through the hoops and work on certifying everyone's bus if anyone knows how I go about doing it ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1946
Coachwork: ?
Chassis: chevrolet
Engine: 292L 6
Rated Cap: ?

Lots of good ideas.
Try contacting the RV/MH Hall of Fame; they have a big library and should be able to help a lot.
www.rvmhhalloffame.org
For codes contact,
www.nfpa.org

Good luck, and happy building.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

It would be a cool thing to do, but , I think the market would be a tuff one. also there would be a liablity issue, if someone was hurt in one of your buses, ouch that would be the end of you. here in ontario, what i did was I bought the bus with a saftey check , I walked right to the registion office and regestered it as a motorhome. It was no big deal. what the deal here is with insurance, they are tuff, you need to get an apprasial, a saftey check, and a propane inspection, and you have to have a full conversion done in a certain time frame, and you may not get insurance, or you will have to pay top price for it mine started out at 1500, then whent to 1800. after tons of phone calls and emails we got it at allstate for $230.00 a year. figure that one out., anyway if I was to do what you are wanting, I would get the custermor to buy the bus and let him register and insure it, then you do the conversion for them. that way it limits your liablity. thats the way it is here in ontario I dont know what its for you in the states.

good luck, hope you can make it work

gbstewart
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

My impression is that most people who sell their skoolie do so at a financial loss. I would think it unlikely that you would be able to make enough profit to keep the business sustainable.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
... if I was to do what you are wanting, I would get the customer to buy the bus and let him register and insure it, then you do the conversion for them...
That is what Fred Hobe does. He does complete conversions and "updates" coaches.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

What I like about this site is most everyone here is a DIY kinda person. And almost every build I see starts out with "I bought this bus cheap" and "on CL I found a camper I could strip for only $100!" People that CAN build things and know where to where to buy cheap materials aren't usually the folks that are likely to pay labor with a smile on their faces. And could you build a bus into a camper--for less than what a used camper would cost to buy outright-and still be able to make a profit after paying ins.-taxes-rent-etc?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
My impression is that most people who sell their skoolie do so at a financial loss. I would think it unlikely that you would be able to make enough profit to keep the business sustainable.
This! Almost everybody who sells a converted skoolie looses money.

However, i have found that jacuzzi buses seem to be the exception to the rule. I made money on all five of my jacuzzi buses.