Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: 3800 series
Engine: DT360, Spicer 5 speed manual
Rated Cap: 72
Skoolie conversion idea of mine - toy hauler

I'm going to try to give as much info as possible. I recently purchased a 1993 38 ft, international school bus Thomas built. first it was hard to get registered because the DMV would tell me i needed something different each time, whatever its titled now under me just not registered now because its still yellow (i'm in WI, no yellow). anyways its all good now still sitting up north to be brought home i'm going to include pictures of it too. so the plan for it is to turn it into a toy hauler i have a couple ideas id like input on because i'm new to this (very excited too) i don't know measurements of it yet i never took any either than knowing its like 96 in wide. i plan of hauling power sports with it and when i'm not doing that a car hauler, enclosed and yes i know the vehicle would have to be winched up because there's not enough space to get out of the car lol. so now that you know what the plan is my questions are these:

1. should i go with a double (dutch) door and have car ramps to get in?
2. should i have the back fold down in one piece and have that be the ramp (obviously it would have car ramps built into it and a winch to raise and lower it, this one makes me question about raising the ceiling so i could pull a jeep in there)
3. ive seen on trailers and some trucks the bed is slanted at the back maybe 2-3 feet (idk the degree) for easier loading what about that? it would lower the ramp height off the ground and not have a big steep point to it. seeing as the bus frame looks like a ladder frame wouldn't you need to saw into that to make this possible? would it wreck anything structural or no and then if that's done double doors & slide out ramps or fold down ramp?

i really like option 3 it seems the nicest to me for loading

for the slide out ramps i was thinking these from discount ramps i know they don't "slide out" but they'd have a cubby under the bus for them https://www.discountramps.com/semi-t...s/p/05-20-240/

here are the pictures of my bus:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums1878.html (sorry im new to pictures hopefully these work)

thank you for your time and suggestions!

Kenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
international 3800, ramp, skoolie conversion, toy hauler, toyhauler