Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2006, 07:59 PM   #1

skoolie heaters

i've just bought a '91 chevy skoolie, a 66 passenger, and am trying to track down some manuals for it if possible, especially for the stock heaters within the bus. any ideas?? thanx.

majjecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
If I can ask why do you need a manual for the hearters. If it's for parts you can get the motors at the part store. I have rebuilt all three of mine.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #3

bus heaters

i wanted to get a shop manual just in case i needed to work on the heaters. we would like to get a small heater like the one we have up front and use it in the back so it will fit under the bunkbeds we plan to build there. i'd prefer to do this because everything is already there. but i have concers about the lines busting and having to undo the interior to make repairs. Or we need to find an alternate source of heat for the bus while we're on the road. i've got a portable propane heater, which i thought i might hook via hose to a 20lb tank. There are also larger versions of the same thing. Regardless, i like to be able to study up on what i'm tearing into beofre i tear into it.
majjecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

you don't really need a manual for the heaters. They are dirt simple. They consist of three parts...

An electric fan (or fans)

A small radiator (or heater core if you prefer)

And a metal housing/shroud including duct work that directs the airflow through the heater core and into the bus.

It's very simple. Hot coolant flows through the heater core, the fan forces air through the radiator which in turn heats the inside of the bus.

Engine coolant is THE best solution for heating the interior of the bus while driving. That heat is free. If not utilized, it is vented to the atmosphere.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
I took my rear heater and laid it on it's side. I also changed the fans to blow through the core.(before they where pulling the air through the core). The best thing I did was I changed the way the water flowed to the heaters. Each heater had it's own pressure and return line going to the motor. So the heaters that was closest to the motor worked the best. Plus I had 3 set of heater hoses all over the motor. I took and hooked all my heaters in series with each other. The heater by the driver set gets the water 1st. then it goes to the rear heater 2nd. and then to the heater by the door and back to the engine. Now I 'm down to only 2 hoses going to the motor and on both hoses I install a ball valve. That way If I do get a leak in the bus I can shut off both the presure and return and keep driving . We took the bus out on a very cold night around xmas and we had to shut heeters clear down they worked great......